Biased Brainwashing Corporation (BBC)

For discussions on politics and current events.

BBC Poll

1 :clap: I'm British. The BBC is the best broadcaster in the world and is very fair, impartial and great value for money. I cannot fault it and have no complaints.
24%
2 :angel: I'm British. The BBC isn't as good or representative of my tastes as it used to be and needs to be reformed, but I still willingly pay its licence fee without question.
28%
3 :sad: I'm British. I enjoy watching live TV, but I do not watch the BBC, but I'm FORCED to pay its unfair mandatory licence fee because the law says I have to. TV Detector Vans might be real, although I've never seen one. Ever!
24%
4 :ugeek: I'm British. I do not need to pay a TV Licence Fee, as I do not watch live broadcast television and only watch online streamed pre-recorded videos instead (excluding BBC I-Player).
15%
5 :twisted: I'm British. I watch all live television (including the BBC) without a licence fee, free and illegally. I am not afraid of prison food and communal showers. Heh heh.
No votes
6 :yawn: I'm not British, I don't live in the UK. I don't have access to the BBC anyway.
4%
7 :mrgreen: I'm not British, I don't live in the UK. But I can watch the BBC for free. Muahahahaa!
4%

Total votes: 46

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Biased Brainwashing Corporation (BBC)

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

As for the above referenced matter, I believe the judge is busy watching the Australian movie over the wk end... and thus we will have to wait for anything substantial to be expressed and then reported.

On a broader front. I have been waiting for the war on 'woke' to be moving on from the Shadow War stage. As clumsy as the early French offensive at the start of WW2 was this
"Dominic Cummings issued dark threats about scrapping the licence fee and replacing it with a subscription model, leaving it for John Whittingdale, the culture minister, to point out in the politest way that it is impossible to switch off BBC channels on Freeview." as an opening shot.

But the latest scandal opens more avenues that one could go down in the soon-to-start BBC Charter mid-term review. A parallel (editorial) Board has been mooted, with ex-journalists rather than managerial types on it.
- The Question: Which :?: journalists then. I bet Boris knows quite a few ... from The Spectator :shh:
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Any chance we can rename this thread?

Because calling it Biased Brainwashing Corporation makes it sound like it was started by some conspiracy theorising loon.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Well, it used to be called the Blair Broadcasting Corporation, or as I preferred to call it, the Blair Broadcorping Castration.

I think it's up to the thread creator to name it.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Caribbean wrote:I think it's up to the thread creator to name it.
I kind of take your point and kind of don't. I'm a bit of a fan of naming conventions.

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

RichardIC wrote:
I kind of take your point and kind of don't. I'm a bit of a fan of naming conventions.
Just wandering what role Gardeners' World plays in this dastardly conspiracy?

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

J. Tattersall wrote:
RichardIC wrote:
Just wandering what role Gardeners' World plays in this dastardly conspiracy?
It encourages people to spend time on pleasurable and worthwhile tasks when they could be hunched over keyboards owning the libs online?

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Gardening? Pleasurable? I'm just taking a tea break from trying to halt the advance of horsetail across my property from next-doors garden - I think it's made a covert approach underneath my patio and is also pressing home it's attack on the driveway! It's been hand-to-hand around the ornamental Japanese Maple. Might have to resort to chemical warfare - bleach and detergent has been recommended, since herbicides don't seem to work - anyone got any stocks of Agent Orange I could use, or napalm?
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Caribbean wrote:Gardening? Pleasurable? I'm just taking a tea break from trying to halt the advance of horsetail across my property from next-doors garden - I think it's made a covert approach underneath my patio and is also pressing home it's attack on the driveway! It's been hand-to-hand around the ornamental Japanese Maple. Might have to resort to chemical warfare - bleach and detergent has been recommended, since herbicides don't seem to work - anyone got any stocks of Agent Orange I could use, or napalm?
See what I mean, what could be more pleasurable or worthwhile than a plant based re-enactment of the battle of the Somme?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:lol: :mrgreen:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

BBC Licence Fee to be frozen and then abolished by 2027

2027 is also the date when the BBC's current Royal Charter expires.

:clap: :thumbup:

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

SKB wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 23:09 BBC Licence Fee to be frozen and then abolished by 2027

But there'll be a new Govt long before then so don't get your hopes up.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

RichardIC wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 19:59But there'll be a new Govt long before then so don't get your hopes up.
Wasn't that what Labour were predicting in December 2019? And that they would stop Brexit? And you want Diane Abbott as Home Secretary?! Ha!
Guess what, the Conservative party won the 2019 General Election with their biggest majority since Margaret Thatcher was in power. And Brexit happened.
:mrgreen: :clap:

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

SKB wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 00:34
RichardIC wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 19:59But there'll be a new Govt long before then so don't get your hopes up.
Wasn't that what Labour were predicting in December 2019? And that they would stop Brexit? And you want Diane Abbott as Home Secretary?! Ha!
Guess what, the Conservative party won the 2019 General Election with their biggest majority since Margaret Thatcher was in power. And Brexit happened.
God, it really is like talking to the village idiot.

It was never Labour's position that they would stop Brexit. Shadow Home Secretary is Yvette Cooper.

Labour currently have a 13 point lead in the polls. That could change but to maintain that majority it would take northern seats which had never voted Conservative before 2019 to vote Conservative again. Not going to happen. I'm from Stoke-on-Trent. I absolutely guarantee it.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

RichardIC wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 17:43
SKB wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 00:34

It was never Labour's position that they would stop Brexit.

It was never the official position of the Cameron government to leave the EU either.

In regards to the labour position on Brexit, it was the policy to stop a no deal Brexit just as it was policy for close alignment with the Single Market which would have lead to BRINO which would maintain full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union, the very hated thing that stopped PM May deal as both sides of the division of politics were against

Really if that was labour’s position you would leave and still make contributions to the EU but have no say at the table

If that position is not indirectly stopping Brexit I don’t know what is. All Labour Miller Benn did was take options off the table to get the most favourable deal for the UK, which left the UK to accept a bad deal or remain, so yes in effect it was Labour position to stop Brexit

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

RichardIC wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 19:59
SKB wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 23:09 BBC Licence Fee to be frozen and then abolished by 2027

But there'll be a new Govt long before then so don't get your hopes up.
I agree with that the current Johnson lead government is heading for the rocks, he certainly willl not be at the helm in the next UK GE
These users liked the author R686 for the post:
RichardIC

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Vote Labour in Vain ? If you think you can guarantee any result then you obviously must know of some electoral skullduggery being planned. :lol:

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

RichardIC wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 17:43 It was never Labour's position that they would stop Brexit. Shadow Home Secretary is Yvette Cooper.
No, it was just their policy to basically bend over and it take up the arse, from whatever the Brussels Euro Trash demanded, I.e still taking orders from the ECJ and sticking with just about every other meaningful piece of EU legislation, forever tying the UK to Brussels, which would have meant that Brexit would have been effectively in name only.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

For the attention of Gary Lineker...

06:53 - Brian Clough was right about Match Of The Day... :mrgreen:

Ian Hall
United Kingdom

Post by Ian Hall »

Well done to Stephen Sackur and the BBC for robustly holding to account the ambassador of Russia's thuggish criminal regime.

BZ BBC