Williamson sacked over Huawei leak

For discussions on politics and current events.

SW1
United Kingdom

Re: Williamson sacked over Huawei leak

Post by SW1 »

Silly boy, if he did it, it’s right that he goes

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Shame - at least he was trying to fight the MOD's corner. Silly if he did leak it, though.

Personally, I think that Huawei should be excluded from the 5g build, along with at least one US company also known to have put backdoors into their equipment (seven discovered last year). The NSA is just as active as the Chinese. I would also be very cautious of any manufacturer that gets their chips made in China, lest they unwittingly incorporate a backdoor for them as well.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Monty1985
United Kingdom

Post by Monty1985 »

If he did do it, at least he had the balls to risk his career by letting us know this current government we prepared (or at least considered) to sell us even further down the river to the Chinese. I understand the need for secrecy when it comes to matters of national security, but what do you do when there are people who are either ignorant to the risks or will knowingly make decisions that could do serious harm to us in the future? China should in no uncertain terms be involved in building telecommunications or other strategic assets like our nuclear power stations for example.

As for his replacement I'm quietly optimistic about his replacement Penny Mordaunt, she has always been an vocal advocate for the armed forces so I'll reserve judgement for now.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Monty1985 wrote:If he did do it, at least he had the balls to risk his career by letting us know this current government we prepared (or at least considered) to sell us even further down the river to the Chinese. I understand the need for secrecy when it comes to matters of national security, but what do you do when there are people who are either ignorant to the risks or will knowingly make decisions that could do serious harm to us in the future? China should in no uncertain terms be involved in building telecommunications or other strategic assets like our nuclear power stations for example.

As for his replacement I'm quietly optimistic about his replacement Penny Mordaunt, she has always been an vocal advocate for the armed forces so I'll reserve judgement for now.
If after discussion off all the information from all the subject matter experts that the government makes the decision to go a direction you don’t agree with then you resign saying I can’t support the decision, when that decision has been made.

None of the about has yet happened and no decisions have yet been taken. To leak to the press from a meeting where the most secure information in the land is discussed to make it a political soap box because your having a hissy fit is I’m afraid not the way to do it and from which you should be rightly sacked.

Monty1985
United Kingdom

Post by Monty1985 »

Under normal circumstances I would be inclined to agree, but we are dealing with a government that has had at least 36 Cabinet departures (a record for a single government i believe) and where it's almost been accepted as routine. A minister resigns because of a disagreement and May finds another lacky who will toe the line.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Caribbean wrote: lest they unwittingly incorporate a backdoor for them as well.
Like every PC with an intel chip making you trackable?
Monty1985 wrote: As for his replacement I'm quietly optimistic about his replacement Penny Mordaunt,
Needs a crash course about warships (isn't she in the RN Reserves :) ?)
Monty1985 wrote: May [VIII] finds another lacky who will toe the line.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Is this government a May Dictatorship? If you don't agree with me you are toast. That said if Gavin was responsible for the leak then he was rightly sacked.

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

If it turns out it was not responsible for this leak, The ramifications of this could come back and bite the Mrs May in the arse. Especially there is a police investigation under the official secrets act.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

I hope it does!

Gavin seemed like one of the good ones, in his short tenure he managed to strengthen the MOD a little. May's group of friends is getting very small now...
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

shark bait wrote:I hope it does!

Gavin seemed like one of the good ones, in his short tenure he managed to strengthen the MOD a little. May's group of friends is getting very small now...
The ending paragraph in this https://www.businessinsider.in/Gavin-Wi ... Patnership is golden (reads the other way from the headline; the reporters want to tell the truth and the editors pencil appeasing headlines? :? )
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

So Gavin ruffled to many feathers! True that he wanted to send HMS Queen Elizabeth to South China Sea. Don't know about the other stories though.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

I would regard most of the stories in the same way that I would regard a story in the National Inquirer. There will be a grain of truth in there somewhere, but you would be hard pressed to recognise it in the distorted version that has made it into the public arena.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Penny Mourdant is sure to make a Splash at the MoD, like she did on ITV in 2014....

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

"invade Africa" what all of it?

andrew98
United Kingdom

Post by andrew98 »

Knowing the media, probably a few small mentoring teams and a couple of small peacekeeping detachments.
Nothing like media headline B.S.....

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Yup - all that was planned was a few training missions and that sort of thing. I believe a maximum of around 4000 troops involved - hardly an "invasion"
Winston Churchill

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Jdam wrote:"invade Africa" what all of it?
Caribbean wrote:around 4000 troops involved - hardly an "invasion"
We will have 62 in Germany and have under a thousand rotating through EFP (air policing component, when active, may take it over a thousand).

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:We will have 62 in Germany and have under a thousand rotating through EFP
And an agreement with Kenya to rotate up to 10,000 a year through the BATUK training facilities at a couple of Kenyan military camps. Apparently we are due to buy our own facilities later this year (maybe that's the "invasion" of Africa that the stories were talking about). In return we provide engineering and medical assistance to various areas of the country and train Kenyan troops in the UK (and spend a lot of money in Kenya).
Winston Churchill

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Caribbean wrote:
ArmChairCivvy wrote:We will have 62 in Germany and have under a thousand rotating through EFP
And an agreement with Kenya to rotate up to 10,000 a year through the BATUK training facilities at a couple of Kenyan military camps. Apparently we are due to buy our own facilities later this year (maybe that's the "invasion" of Africa that the stories were talking about). In return we provide engineering and medical assistance to various areas of the country and train Kenyan troops in the UK (and spend a lot of money in Kenya).
Isn't that a bit high number? :problem:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

abc123 wrote:Isn't that a bit high number?
I doubt we've ever reached anything near that, but apparently the agreement is for up to 6 battalions plus supporting troops (with a maximum of 10,000 in the year) on six 8-month exercises each year. Probably intended to allow for a major peacekeeping force to be deployed to East Africa if ever needed, rather than simply for training.
Winston Churchill

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Definitely a dose of character assassination is being played out before Williamson spills the beans.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

bobp wrote:Definitely a dose of character assassination is being played out before Williamson spills the beans.
Must say that I don't recall that I ever saw such public attacks between the PM and former minister in the UK. :think:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…