UK Shipbuilding

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Re: UK Shipbuilding

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Lord Jim wrote:May be the Government should match the Charity and build a sister ship, as well as contributing to the operating budgets of both. Could such a platform be designated as a HADR platform for the Caribbean, especially in the hurricane season, freeing up a Bay for other duties.
This has clearly been widely discussed for some time but why does HMG always prefer the Charity route as a default? Easiest way to spend the bloated foreign aid budget?

Regardless, it looks to be a solid proposal run by a highly experienced team so I wish them the best of luck. If funded primarily by DFID it would certainly show the British taxpayers that their contributions are reaching the front line and helping the most in need in a transparent and very tangible way.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Let's hope the funding turns up to make this work :thumbup:

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

I like the way Cammell Laird "struggling" to get ship building order. It may work, it may not work, but I feel they are trying hard. If the 150M GBP ship is to be built by them, their ship-building sector is secured until 2024.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:I like the way Cammell Laird "struggling" to get ship building order. It may work, it may not work, but I feel they are trying hard. If the 150M GBP ship is to be built by them, their ship-building sector is secured until 2024.
Donald, they're trying to crowd-fund this £150 million ship. And so far they've raised £1,330. No, I've not missed any noughts off.

And that's just towards capital cost. No idea where the operating cost is supposed to come from.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

May be they can "donate" the whole program to DfID, to build it and operate it :thumbup:

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

I'm happy for the yard but "It hopes to increase the workforce by "several hundred" over five years" This makes me a bit nervous I would hope they focus on work for the current workforce before increasing the workforce.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Poiuytrewq wrote:Good news for Belfast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49889573
Here's InfraStrata's formal notice to investors via the Stock Exchange.

https://polaris.brighterir.com/public/i ... ry/rn697nw

We can't really regard H&W as a shipbuilder anymore. It hasn't built a ship for many years and is now owned by a company that's only current interest is gas storage. However it seems they haven't totally closed the door on having a dabble in the future.
· The highly skilled workforce presents the Company with an opportunity to create secondary revenue streams through the provision of services to the energy, maritime and defence sectors should such opportunities arise in future.
It doesn't sound like it's going to fit into any Type 31 timeframe however.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Interesting virtual tour of RRS Sir David Attenborough.

https://media.hi-impact.co.uk/sda/

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/defe ... i3Gen_News

Harland & Wolff and Spanish shipyard Navantia have formed ‘Team Resolute’ to collaborate on a number of UK shipbuilding programmes, including the UK MoD Fleet Solid Support Programme.
The teaming agreement, announced on 26 May, will ‘re-establish a skills base for UK shipbuilding in Northern Ireland’ whilst seeing a ‘transfer of Navantia’s cutting edge digital shipyard knowledge to Harland & Wolff’, according to a statement from the Belfast-based shipyard.

Abel Mendez, Director of International Defence & Security at Navantia, said: ‘It is clear that under a new management team, Harland & Wolff is a shipyard that is forward-thinking, agile and ready to do business.’
The UK government is seeking to strengthen sovereign shipbuilding capacity whilst also reducing costs and improving efficiency.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SW1 wrote:under a new management team, Harland & Wolff is a shipyard that is forward-thinking, agile and ready to do business
A good move as all (?) the work was in off-shore
... and you can read the tea leaves for that for the next 5 yrs ahead every time you fill up at the petrol stn

SSShh :silent: :)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Good stuff

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Good to see that the Infrastrata acquisition is bearing fruit.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.belf ... 534299.amp

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

The company that has bought Harland and Wolff has now also bought Appledore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-53903667

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

SW1 wrote:The company that has bought Harland and Wolff has now also bought Appledore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-53903667
Good stuff! Let's hope they pick up some contracts soon

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

That's good news. I'm intrigued as to what the £60m contract was, that was on offer before Babcocks closed the yard.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Caribbean wrote:That's good news. I'm intrigued as to what the £60m contract was, that was on offer before Babcocks closed the yard.
Agree, interesting. It’s an OPV sized contract, or part of a larger ship.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Will Appledore be included in any Navantia/BMT/Infrastrata bid for the FSS I wonder. Floating blocks across to Belfast is not outside the realms of possibility.

Maybe a small order of modest vessels for the UK Border Force is more realistic. Licensed Damen designs perhaps?

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

The BBC report said 'The site's new owners InfraStrata said the yard's ability to cater for smaller vessels was "a market segment that cannot be ignored" '. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-53903667

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Caribbean wrote:That's good news. I'm intrigued as to what the £60m contract was, that was on offer before Babcocks closed the yard.
Repulse wrote:Agree, interesting. It’s an OPV sized contract, or part of a larger ship.
Neither. Over 100 staff from Appledore were temporarily redeployed at Devonport (four-hour daily commute). The offer was to bring forward planned maintenance at Devonport to maintain the redeployment.

The idea was to buy more time for Babcock to secure new orders at Appledore before they made the workforce redundant.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

I will believe it when I see it....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13290 ... aritime-uk

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Yeah, the Express seems to think InfraStrata are part of Harland and Wolff rather than the opposite way around.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »