UK Shipbuilding

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
SKB
England

Re: UK Shipbuilding

Post by SKB »

G White
United Kingdom

Post by G White »

Not building ships but work for Appledore
https://www.harland-wolff.com/news/harl ... with-rnli/

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

G White wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 21:44 Not building ships but work for Appledore
https://www.harland-wolff.com/news/harl ... with-rnli/
Oh bugger, it looks like Harland and Wolff have got caught out. Their agreement with the RNLI isn't to for support and maintenance of the entire fleet - it's for one lifeboat.

https://rnli.org/support-us/volunteer/v ... -and-wolff

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

This Is Money
BAE's boost for the North: Defence giant announces plans to hire 1,700 new young recruits
Francesca Washtell For The Daily Mail
1 day ago

Defence giant BAE Systems will create around 1,700 jobs in the UK next year, mostly in the north of England.

The FTSE 100 group – a key contractor for the Ministry of Defence – will take on more than 900 apprentices and create 750 graduate and undergraduate roles.

BAE said it will be the largest ever intake of early-careers recruits and 25 per cent larger than its 2021 cohort.
( © Provided by This Is Money (

Around 800 jobs will be in the North West, where BAE builds submarines at the country’s largest shipyard in Barrow.

The recruits will work on major defence programmes such as Tempest – a jet for the Royal Air Force – as well as submarines and frigates for the Royal Navy.

Charles Woodburn, BAE’s chief executive, said: ‘Creating high-quality employment for young people across the country ensures we retain the critical capabilities we need to sustain our business for the long-term, while helping to drive growth across the UK’s regional economies.’

This month chairman Roger Carr said boosting the regions would help solve the UK’s productivity issues.

He wrote: ‘The Government has a mandate to make the UK a fairer economic environment, bringing opportunities and prosperity to under-invested regions through its levelling-up agenda.

'For Government to succeed big businesses need to play their part.’

The £17billion company has more than 35,000 employees at around 50 sites in the UK and a worldwide workforce of around 90,000.

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Passing through LinkedIn, I found

https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanbrady935/

Senior Responsible Owner (SRO) for Multi Role Ocean Surveillance programme
Senior Responsible Owner (SRO) for T32 programme
Senior Responsible Owner (SRO) for Multi Role Support Ship programme

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 100322.pdf

The National Shipbuilding Strategy - a refresh

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(10 Downing Street) 10th March 2022
Our refreshed National Shipbuilding Strategy will see more than 150 new ships delivered over the next 30 years, turbocharging our exports and helping Britain’s shipping take a world lead.

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Chart fails to show MROS.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

TSharpe28 wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 11:02 Chart fails to show MROS.
It's mentioned elsewhere. The graphic is rubbish.
These users liked the author RichardIC for the post:
Repulse

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Oh I see typical govt.

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Very little mention of MROS.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

It is quite shocking that given what is going on the next decision/initiative will be regarding the National Flagship.

I’m in favour of such a craft as if used correctly it can boost soft power and trade, but it shouldn’t be the priority. MROSS should be ahead of this, and if it’s not I want to see what value it can give to maximise the effectiveness of the current fleet. At the very least it should have a secondary role as a hospital ship.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Repulse wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 08:01 It is quite shocking that given what is going on the next decision/initiative will be regarding the National Flagship.

I’m in favour of such a craft as if used correctly it can boost soft power and trade, but it shouldn’t be the priority. MROSS should be ahead of this, and if it’s not I want to see what value it can give to maximise the effectiveness of the current fleet. At the very least it should have a secondary role as a hospital ship.
I believe even HM the Queen is not in favour of it.

A National Flagship can only take one role it cannot be a hospital ship which would breach the Geneva Convention.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

TSharpe28 wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 08:31 A National Flagship can only take one role it cannot be a hospital ship which would breach the Geneva Convention.
True - lazy language on my side, I meant Primary Casualty Receiving Ship
These users liked the author Repulse for the post:
TSharpe28
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

Belatedly reading the National_Shipbuilding_Strategy_Refresh_100322. One thing I noticed was that devolved governments were due to acquire seven Marine / Fishery Protection Vessels (three for Scotland, three for Wales and one for NI - pages 21-22). I note that the MOD is due to acquire an unspecified number of Future Offshore Patrol Vessels (page 20) as well as Home Office acquiring 11 Seagoing / Coastal Patrol Vessels for Border Force (page 21).

That does mean that when the Royal Navy acquires new ships to replace River Class B1's, it should be purely to cover England. That is good as that should mean that we finally have an increased number of UK based patrol vessels, with Royal Navy currently have just three 1,700 tonnes River Class B1's OPV and then a dozen 54 tonnes Archer-class coastal patrol vessel.

If the MOD orders 3-5 Future Offshore Patrol Vessels just for England, then that should give 10-12 ships overall including the 3 apiece for both Scotland & Wales, plus one for NI.

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

No Scotland (built in Poland I think), Wales and NI already have fishery/marine boats. The RN fisheries tasking covers all of UK they supplement the devolved boats.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

tomuk wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 15:58 No Scotland (built in Poland I think), Wales and NI already have fishery/marine boats. The RN fisheries tasking covers all of UK they supplement the devolved boats.
Oh - ok - thanks for clarifying.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Clearly trawlers are better suited to Appledore than Belfast but building just about anything would be a good start.

https://afloat.ie/resources/irish-ports ... ipper-expo
These users liked the author Poiuytrewq for the post:
wargame_insomniac

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Harland & Wolff will undertake maintenance works on P&O cruise ship Aurora and Cunard’s Queen Victoria in its Belfast shipyard.

Queen Victoria will be in Belfast between 2nd May and 19th May 19, 2022. Then Aurora from 9th June through until 23rd June, 2022.

https://www.cruisehive.com/two-carnival ... lity/69694

Note: P&O Ferries and P&O Cruises are two companies owned by two unrelated parent companies.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Good news for H&W.

https://www.voxmarkets.co.uk/articles/h ... s-697e5c3/

Harland & Wolff, group CEO John Wood, commented: "Our facilities are ideally placed to capitalise on these types of large projects whilst we continue servicing our smaller but regular clients. We have now secured contracts in four out of our five markets; commercial, cruise & ferry, renewables and energy - we now hope to complete the final milestone of securing a defence contract in the near future."

I wonder which defence contract that could be ;)

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Poiuytrewq wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 16:56 Good news for H&W.Harland & Wolff, group CEO John Wood, commented: "Our facilities are ideally placed to capitalise on these types of large projects whilst we continue servicing our smaller but regular clients. We have now secured contracts in four out of our five markets; commercial, cruise & ferry, renewables and energy - we now hope to complete the final milestone of securing a defence contract in the near future."

I wonder which defence contract that could be ;)
Hopefully the FSS contract?
Unless H&W are going to be helping with sections for T26 / T31 build?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Third QEC... :shh: :mrgreen:

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Or a Fourth! :thumbup: :mrgreen:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

How about Albion/Bulwark replacements? Scotland is going to be a bit busy with T26 and T31.