Jackal and Coyote MWMIK (Army)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
madhon
United Kingdom

Re: Jackal and Coyote MWMIK (Army)

Post by madhon »

muttbutt wrote:
RunningStrong wrote:
muttbutt wrote: 3 Para have recently gone back to Land rovers over their Jackals.... :eh:
Paras shouldn't be in vehicles anyway!

As a note, is that just from photos of Kenya? I know artillery units have been on exercise with Jackal, and other units are going through upgrades, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's a shortage of available platforms at the moment.
It's apparently a permanent thing, the LR are easier for air mobility etc...

Slightly un related question .. UKSF trialled the Flyer 72 as a replacement for their HMT400s under Project Westerly, did anything ever come of that, or has it just disappeared from any form of public knowledge.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

madhon wrote:Slightly un related question .. UKSF trialled the Flyer 72
We have Extenda... and the Canadians are trialling it, too.
- they are real Scrooges: industry pays for the trails, so only existing models will turn up. Does not mean that they would not be good; perhaps Extenda were more famous if the SF were not the sile customer (Australia has some, too?)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Qwerty
Germany

Post by Qwerty »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:perhaps Extenda were more famous if the SF were not the sile customer (Australia has some, too?)
FYI

Norway: https://supacat.com/newsevents/news/nor ... a-vehicle/

NZ: https://supacat.com/newsevents/news/sup ... w-zealand/

Aus: https://supacat.com/newsevents/news/sup ... roles-hmt/

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Thanks... Norway has already joined the Commonwealth; ahead of Canada, it seems.

Now we just need to get LJ excited: "Supacat has mounted an Elbit Cardom 81mm mortar pack on the rear cargo bed of a 4×4 HMT Extenda Mk 2. "
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Only if they stuck a 120mm on the back of the 6x6 version, bigger is always better. :D

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Four Jackals are to be loaned to Estonia for SF work in Mali:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:Four Jackals are to be loaned to Estonia for SF work in Mali:
Try before buy perhaps?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Benn away for almost two months, but from the info assuming changes have not been announced lately it appears that the Estonian and Swedish SF will work with our recce group
- the Swedes have loadsa kit, whereas the Estonians don't

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Benn away for almost two months, but from the info assuming changes have not been announced lately it appears that the Estonian and Swedish SF will work with our recce group
- the Swedes have loadsa kit, whereas the Estonians don't
Welcome back!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Thx! I survived my yearly survival course... but with a broken bone had to stay a bit longer

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I wonder wnen they will get around to changing the seat covers from Desert to something more appropriate for Europe, say green. :D

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

I bet that's fun to fit!
Then its spoilt by having a 2' tall weapon mount stuck out the top for all to see. Still could have been worse, like the RWS on top of Ajax[s turret.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

So spot it ..

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

whitelancer wrote:I bet that's fun to fit!
Then its spoilt by having a 2' tall weapon mount stuck out the top for all to see. Still could have been worse, like the RWS on top of Ajax[s turret.
Where else would you suggest putting a weapon for all-round protection...

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Ron5 wrote:So spot it ..
Shame we can't have interactive photos and run a spot the tank competition :D
I think I can spot a rear light though.

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

RunningStrong wrote:
whitelancer wrote:I bet that's fun to fit!
Where else would you suggest putting a weapon for all-round protection...
Might I suggest also giving Jackal/Coyote the 76mm turret and cannon which so many in the viewtopic.php?f=41&t=29&start=3650 thread want to add to the River class OPVs. To do anything less must now surely be Brexit betrayed. :lol:

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

J. Tattersall wrote:Might I suggest also giving Jackal/Coyote the 76mm turret and cannon
76mm? Might have to fit a better roll cage, as well.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Yeap I got the rear light and square shadow around it.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

bobp wrote:Yeap I got the rear light and square shadow around it.
It's not a rear light - it's side on to the camera, with the front facing to the left. The orange patch is just above and behind the front left handwheel.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

Ron5 wrote:So spot it ..
That's rather too easy.
Their is the orange reflector which catches the eye, the uniform colour, obvious edges including the road wheel, topped off by the black weapon and mount. In truth from distance it wouldn't be that obvious simply because its positioned against a suitable background. Change the background and it would be a whole different ball game. Remove the trees and imagine the background as open ground, fields perhaps or worse the sky, the weapon mount would stand out like a sore thumb.
If you have gone to all the trouble of fitting Barracuda camouflage having that weapon mounted as it is seems to rather defeat the object.
RunningStrong wrote:Where else would you suggest putting a weapon for all-round protection...

I would suggest putting it a lot lower, most of the time it simply doesn't need to be that high and if it does it's hardly rocket science to find a means to raise and lower it as required.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Yeah the safety light kinda gives it away but of course that wouldn't be fitted on ops.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

whitelancer wrote: I would suggest putting it a lot lower, most of the time it simply doesn't need to be that high and if it does it's hardly rocket science to find a means to raise and lower it as required.
Designers quite literally put it as low as possible, there really is no justification for putting it any higher than is absolutely needed to maintain 360 coverage and depression angles.

And yes, there's somewhat of a weight, safety and reliability issue of raising and lowering a weapon mount unnecessarily, not to mention the time to bring it into action.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Is something like a telescopic mount a possibility?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

They already have them on the ones deployed to Mali I believe.