Panther Protected Command Vehicle

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Re: Panther Protected Command Vehicle

Post by Lord Jim »

SO the radio installation in a dedicated command platform is the same as in any vehicle equipped with Bowmen? Also yes the Panther entered service a while after Bowman had been rolled out but the programme that became the Panther was started before then and I think the size and complexity of the Bowman configuration that was going to be needed for its eventual role was underestimated. If you think about it one of the platform Panther was to replace was the good old Ferret, as a liaison platform but the Command part became more important. Of course I could have totally misread things, but squeezing the radio installation that would normally have taken up a lot of space in a Command APC into a 4x4 would leads to a tight fit and requirements have repeatedly been overtaken by events and changes in roles.

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

Very clear view of the Esercito Italiano (Italian Army ) IVECO VTLM Lince donated to the Ukrainian Army

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Lord Jim wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 23:17 SO the radio installation in a dedicated command platform is the same as in any vehicle equipped with Bowmen?
No. A "command" fit isn't shared the same across different platform types. As I said, Bowman installations are different based on the vehicle type and role.
Lord Jim wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 23:17 Also yes the Panther entered service a while after Bowman had been rolled out but the programme that became the Panther was started before then and I think the size and complexity of the Bowman configuration that was going to be needed for its eventual role was underestimated.
BOWMAN didn't appear overnight, and in a backwards way, the hardware was known at the very start of the programme.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

If I appear to be shouting I am not, my typing is getting worse due to my eyesight.

I bow to your greater understanding of bowmen and its various installations. Showed how common sense and reality are not the same. SO Panther as a Command and Liaison vehicle does have a command set up, but one smaller than in a Sultan which are used by the Armoured Regiments for a similar role?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Enter ex-Yugoslavia (into the purchase considerations, though not so into the formal rqrmnts): after the great problems encountered there with interoperability (and not all contingents were from NATO countries) there was an attempt to have 'something' standardised ... something that could be rolled out to the 'next field' early on, while the stronger contingents would then arrive 'in due course'
- I seem to remember that Panther got 'xtra' points on this account
- though in the end the wider push fell apart, and only some regular contributors (like Sweden and Finland) then went ahead amongst themselves. Purchasing RG32s that could do dual-service as patrol vehicles... depending on the deployment stage and the local situation

Interestingly, the Russian order for 700 was paused at some point, but seems to have gone ahead in some shape or form.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

I have to mention that with the combat action that has going on in Ukraine a vehicle that is taking great reviews and this forum least favorite the Iveco LMV in Italian Army configuration that has been donated to the Ukrainian Army.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Because in UK service it was over laden with UK equipment and survivability that made it useless.