UK Politics - General News & Discussion

For discussions on politics and current events.
SW1
United Kingdom

Re: UK Politics - General News & Discussion

Post by SW1 »

Rather than the usual he said she said tit for tat if any of the pretenders to the Tory leadership should follow roughly the gist of these policies ideas then I think they would be headed in the right direction.

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/comm ... -nightmare

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Sunak looking stronger by the the day... is it any wonder, as there is no "Left" in the party , err, left.

And the 'Right", OMG what an alphabet soup emerging: Patel, Mourdant, Truss... but more importantly, while they still believe that Brexit is a religion (the voters, and that includes the membership ;) ) have by now understood that Moonism-like movements are not 'the' answer
- none of the mentioned can say that they were not part of the chaos that has paralysed policy-making since?
How many years from 2016... and counting

As for Sunak,
- he can always say "could not win the argument with The Boss"
- now stressing the importance of not " believeing in fairytales" - going forward
AND NOT saying what Tony Blair used to say: Conquer the middle... and you will 8-) win
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ooops... more drinks on someone else not an option anymore; time to sober up?
Today's Torygraph has assembled some ONS figures:
"Government borrowing rose to £22.9bn in June, the highest figure for the month outside of Covid, after a surge in the UK’s debt servicing costs.

The Government’s interest bill jumped to a record £19.4bn last month as a quarter of public debt is tied directly to inflation through gilts linked to the Retail Price Index. Debt servicing costs were almost double last June’s amount.

[...] Receipts from taxes on workers rose by £13.4bn compared to a year earlier to £98.2bn in the wake of the National Insurance increase."

The Economist serves a fresh dose of the BigMac (currency) Index, clearly showing that we have got rid of an over-valued currency, since 2016. Bad for imports (and consumer buying power) - but how are the exports doing?
- a hat tip to Boris for the £24 bn prepaid credit card that Defence received

Are we in a 'bit of a bother'? At least the two remaining Tory PM candidates are, trying to formulate a policy package that is not just 'easy to sell' BUT ALSO can be believed (credible would be 'too fine' a word for the context).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

I do wonder which (if any) of the two remaining candidates would be best for UK Defence e.g. by increased defence spending to counter the higher threat level post Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I fear that Rishi Sunak will be too focussed on balancing the Budget and wonder (or more accurately HOPE) that with Liz Truss being closer to the situation on the war as Foriegn Secretary, might take the threat more seriously. I think I have read somewhere that she committed to 3% Defence spending, up from 2.5% currently I believe. I don't know how firm of a commitment that was, or whether it was jsut a passing comment.

Anyone got any precise details on what either have said recently on Defence?

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 23:53 I do wonder which (if any) of the two remaining candidates would be best for UK Defence e.g. by increased defence spending to counter the higher threat level post Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I fear that Rishi Sunak will be too focussed on balancing the Budget and wonder (or more accurately HOPE) that with Liz Truss being closer to the situation on the war as Foriegn Secretary, might take the threat more seriously. I think I have read somewhere that she committed to 3% Defence spending, up from 2.5% currently I believe. I don't know how firm of a commitment that was, or whether it was jsut a passing comment.

Anyone got any precise details on what either have said recently on Defence?
Truss will be better for defence, by far. Sunak is a bean counter captured by the Treasury, and soft on China. Truss for all her faults will be much more likely to increase defence spending and take a robust posture re. China and Russia
These users liked the author dmereifield for the post:
wargame_insomniac

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 23:53 committed to 3% Defence spending
The candidates are by now increasingly copying each other's pledges; a bit worrying. The last one who said 3% and meant it was Hunt, but that was in the earlier race. He is a Sunak backer, though.
- I concur with the view that Sunak's foreign policy exposure/ experience is quite limited... He could bring Tugendhat in, to plug the gap :idea:
dmereifield wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 01:41 take a robust posture re. China and Russia
She is about as subtle in talking to Putin as the 'one-time' DefSec :wtf: :crazy:
... if 80's tactics are not :eh: recommended, then lifting policies out of the '70s :roll: ignores how much the world around us (and the UK itself) have changed
These users liked the author ArmChairCivvy for the post:
wargame_insomniac

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

ArmChairCivvy wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 09:34
The candidates are by now increasingly copying each other's pledges; a bit worrying. The last one who said 3% and meant it was Hunt, but that was in the earlier race. He is a Sunak backer, though.
- I concur with the view that Sunak's foreign policy exposure/ experience is quite limited... He could bring Tugendhat in, to plug the gap :idea:
dmereifield wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 01:41 take a robust posture re. China and Russia
She is about as subtle in talking to Putin as the 'one-time' DefSec :wtf: :crazy:
... if 80's tactics are not :eh: recommended, then lifting policies out of the '70s :roll: ignores how much the world around us (and the UK itself) have changed
Listening to full record of Ben Wallace speaking to HoC Defence Committee, I was pleasantly surprised in that he seemed to have good grasp of the detail and to undestand the threats and issies that we face. I hope he keeps that role in any upcoming cabinet reshuffle.

Adding the likes of Tom Tugentdhat and tovjas ,Ellwood to

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

ArmChairCivvy wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 09:34
- I concur with the view that Sunak's foreign policy exposure/ experience is quite limited... He could bring Tugendhat in, to plug the gap on defence knowledge90

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

12 years in power and counting...

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

sunstersun wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 07:20 Re: UK Politics - General News & Discussion

12 years in power
It is easy to see why BoJo postulated his Cabinet not being a continuation of the previous Tory ones
... but it turned out to being even worse. Even good policies (like furlough) were simply copied from others who were already implementing them
- on the intl scene, recognising the brewing threat from China happened earlier than the general 'waking up' in Europe (and Boris upped the defence effort with a one time grant... lasting well beyond his Cabinet; shall we call it a Trust Fund, then?)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Boris' Farewell Speech

(BBC News) 6th September 2022

Boris resigns at Balmoral

(The Sun/Sky News) 6th September 2022

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Liz Truss appointed Prime Minister by The Queen

New PM arrives at Downing Street

(BBC News) 6th September 2022

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

I know the 3% was just an arbitary target, and the key is what additional sums are allocated to defence over and above inflation. And it is vitally important is that MOD properly plan, prepare and phase any additional expenditure (i.e. not waste funds like some rcent headline MOD projects), and crucially do more to retain and recruit sufficent trained crew to operate any new additional weapon systems.

But I admit I was a touch disapointed that she did nt mention the 3% Defence Spending today. Again it shows that Defence Spending does nt win AS MANY votes as energy crisis, taxes and NHS, which I beleive were her stated main priorities. But I do hope she does stick to that campaign promise on the hustings and that extra funding is provided to clear some of the massive capability gaps that aour Armed Forces have now / will have in the near future.

Will we have a new Defence Secretary in the cabinet reshuffle? I hope not because Ben Wallace has been doing a good job with limited resources and seems to understand his brief pretty well (when I watched the recent HoC Defence Select Committee).Also it would be good to have some stability at MoD given the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 19:34 I know the 3% was just an arbitary target, and the key is what additional sums are allocated to defence over and above inflation. And it is vitally important is that MOD properly plan, prepare and phase any additional expenditure (i.e. not waste funds like some rcent headline MOD projects), and crucially do more to retain and recruit sufficent trained crew to operate any new additional weapon systems.

But I admit I was a touch disapointed that she did nt mention the 3% Defence Spending today. Again it shows that Defence Spending does nt win AS MANY votes as energy crisis, taxes and NHS, which I beleive were her stated main priorities. But I do hope she does stick to that campaign promise on the hustings and that extra funding is provided to clear some of the massive capability gaps that aour Armed Forces have now / will have in the near future.

Will we have a new Defence Secretary in the cabinet reshuffle? I hope not because Ben Wallace has been doing a good job with limited resources and seems to understand his brief pretty well (when I watched the recent HoC Defence Select Committee).Also it would be good to have some stability at MoD given the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Ben Wallace is remaining in post.
These users liked the author bobp for the post (total 2):
Phil Sayerswargame_insomniac

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 19:34
But I admit I was a touch disapointed that she did nt mention the 3% Defence Spending today.
Ben Wallace has been quick to remind her of this promise and seemingly requires that it be kept with no ifs or buts:

These users liked the author Phil Sayers for the post:
wargame_insomniac

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:mrgreen: :lol: :clap:
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
86thLeinster

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

The anger is palpable.

These users liked the author zanahoria for the post:
jedibeeftrix

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

LIZ TRUSS RESIGNS AS CONSERVATIVE PARTY LEADER!
A new Prime Minister to take over on 28th October!

(BBC News) 20th October 2022
Liz Truss: "I came into office at a time of great economic and international instability. Families and businesses were worried about how to pay their bills. Putin's illegal war in Ukraine threatens the security of our whole continent. And our country has been held back for too long by low economic growth.

I was elected by the Conservative party with a mandate to change this. We delivered on energy bills and on cutting national insurance. And we set out a vision for a low tax high growth economy that would take advantage of the freedoms of Brexit.

I recognise though, given the situation, I cannot deliver the mandate on which I was elected by the Conservative Party. I have therefore spoken to His Majesty the King to notify him that I am resigning as leader of the Conservative Party.

This morning I met the chairman of the 1922 Committee, Sir Graham Brady. We've agreed that there will be a leadership election to be completed within the next week.

This will ensure that we remain on a path to deliver our fiscal plans and maintain our country's economic stability and national security. I will remain as prime minister until a successor has been chosen. Thank you."

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

SKB wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 14:51
It is time for an election - the conservative party has lost its way and needs to be put out of its misery..

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Is he really going to personally finance an extra 2 x T31 Frigates? The country to which he owes so much ! :lol:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

Opportunity for economic growth that looks to be scuppered by the lefties again ...

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... st-data%2F

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

First pictures of King Charles III banknotes revealed

The first coin to feature Charles as King entered circulation on 8th December 2022.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:lol:
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
dmereifield