JAPAN / 日本

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Re: JAPAN / 日本

Post by Lord Jim »

Well that is going to give Japan at least eight top end AAW platforms most if not all able to carry out ABM duties. Again another Navy with a well thought out procurement and construction plan to keep its fleet up to date and able to meet current and future threats. Shame the UK cannot so the same given our history as primarily a naval power!

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

xav wrote: MAST Asia: Mitsui Unveils OPV Design Proposal for JMSDF OPV Requirement
At MAST Asia 2019, the defense exhibition and conference currently held near Tokyo, Japan, local shipbuilder Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding (Mitsui E&S) unveiled its OPV design currently competing for a JMSDF requirement.
https://www.navalnews.com/event-news/ma ... quirement/
Now that’s what you call a modern OPV really show what could of been got instead of the RB2s

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Jake1992 wrote:
xav wrote: MAST Asia: Mitsui Unveils OPV Design Proposal for JMSDF OPV Requirement
Now that’s what you call a modern OPV really show what could of been got instead of the RB2s
Uhm, but Japan has a few dozens of River B2 like (or even less military shaped) OPVs in our coast guard. To my understanding, UK has 5 River B2 in place. Seems natural, I guess?

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:
Jake1992 wrote:
Uhm, but Japan has a few dozens of River B2 like (or even less military shaped) OPVs in our coast guard. To my understanding, UK has 5 River B2 in place. Seems natural, I guess?
I was thinking more along the lines of if the RB2s were more akin to the above they could of performed the global presence role in a much better way than a RB2 could and in turn do away with the need for the T31s in their current spec. This would of freed up that money for better use else where.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Jake1992 wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of if the RB2s were more akin to the above they could of performed the global presence role in a much better way than a RB2 could and in turn do away with the need for the T31s in their current spec. This would of freed up that money for better use else where.
Understood. May be my argument for "3 Floreal-like OPV-H, in place of 5 River B2" (in the T26 thread) is on similar standpoint to yours, I guess.:D

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:
Jake1992 wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of if the RB2s were more akin to the above they could of performed the global presence role in a much better way than a RB2 could and in turn do away with the need for the T31s in their current spec. This would of freed up that money for better use else where.
Understood. May be my argument for "3 Floreal-like OPV-H, in place of 5 River B2" (in the T26 thread) is on similar standpoint to yours, I guess.:D
It could be but I do think that the above is almost the perfect modern presence vessel for low threat areas for the RN, a small crew, decent endurance, well armed ( for the role ) and future planning built in with its USV bay and UAV hanger ( unsure is its large enough for a small helo ? )

I would of preferred 5 of the above to a floreal like vessel but would of took either over the RB2s, don’t get me wrong the RB2s are great for wider EEZ role but for use further out they really are lacking.

xav

Post by xav »

BMT & Mitsui Pitching Caimen 90 Landing Craft for JGSDF Amphibious Brigade
At MAST Asia 2019, the defense exhibition and conference held last month near Tokyo, Japan, British ship design company BMT and its local partner Mitsui E&S were showcasing the Caimen 90 landing craft, with the newly created JGSDF amphibious brigade in mind.
https://www.navalnews.com/event-news/ma ... s-brigade/

xav

Post by xav »

JMU Launches ‘Haguro’ – Second Maya-class AEGIS Destroyer for the JMSDF
Japan Marine United Corporation (JMU) today launched the second Maya-class guided missile destroyer for the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF). The vessel is named "Haguro".

The previous vessel to bear this name was the famous heavy cruiser Haguro of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Commissioned in 1929, Haguro saw significant service during World War II, participating in nine naval engagements. She was sunk in 1945 during a fight with Royal Navy destroyers, one of the last major Japanese warships to be sunk in open waters during World War II.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... the-jmsdf/

Ares
Japan

Post by Ares »

BEIJING—The Raytheon APG-82 radar will be the centerpiece of an upgrade of Japanese Boeing F-15 Eagles, which also look almost certain to carry air-to-air missiles from Raytheon. Countering cruise missile attacks by Chinese bombers from the eastern side of Japan is a key role for the modernized aircraft. Standoff air-to-surface capability will also be added. The first upgraded F-15 will be delivered by July 2023, the defense ministry announced in June
https://aviationweek.com/awindefense/ap ... 15-upgrade
Officially confirmed that further upgraded F-15Js will be equipped with AN/APG-82.
Also, BAE Systems' DEWS has been chosen as the EW suit.

xav

Post by xav »

Aboard JS Izumo while she was in Singapore

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Thanks for sharing xav, any gossip on any possible F35b additions since you were aboard? lovely ship that reminds me of the Italian Cavour.

xav

Post by xav »

serge750 wrote:Thanks for sharing xav, any gossip on any possible F35b additions since you were aboard? lovely ship that reminds me of the Italian Cavour.
Haha you bet I asked! They were absolutely NOT willing to discuss anything F-35B related...

Later at MAST Asia, I learn a thing or two from DAPA and a JASDF officer... that i may use sometime in the near future as part of an article... if I can dig a little more :geek:

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Always worth a ask !!! well done :clap:

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

The JMSDF operating Carriers will be a major shock to the system for the Japanese. Weren't they restricted post WWII in the operation of this type if platform, but vessels like the Izumo Class didn't exist when the peace treaty was signed. I think we are more likely to see USMC F-35Bs conducting joint operation to validate the ability of the Izumo to operate such aircraft before we see any in JASDF colours.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Nice ship. Too big to use as the base for an Ocean replacement?

xav

Post by xav »

Japan Officially Selects F-35B Fighter as STOVL Aircraft
Japan's Ministry of Defense (MoD) has officially announced the selection of the F-35B fighter as its future short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) aircraft. The U.S. government and Lockheed Martin were the sole bidder.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... -aircraft/

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Wow did not realise they were going to a ski jump on the carriers, this is what the original Invicible class of CVL should of been, looking forward to seeing these side by side a QEC :D

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

It will be one hell of a site this side by side with a QE, but does anyone know why they’re not planning to have the ski jump further forward to make as much use of the deck as possible ?

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

It is to do with how you want to operate the deck. If they moved the ramp as far forward as possible, unless there was major structural work dome on the bow, the take off line would be down the middle of the flight deck. This would severely hamper how the deck park was set up, and the use of the forward elevator.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Something I drew back on 26th June to simulate Izumo with a ramp....and twin islands! :mrgreen:

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Lord Jim wrote:It is to do with how you want to operate the deck. If they moved the ramp as far forward as possible, unless there was major structural work dome on the bow, the take off line would be down the middle of the flight deck. This would severely hamper how the deck park was set up, and the use of the forward elevator.
This work shouldn’t too much trouble though should it, as my understanding is that the invincibles were never meant to have a ski jump but when the CV01 project got cancelled they rushed the ski jump on. These were much further forward then on this design. By the looks of it it’d also allow another helo landing space.

xav

Post by xav »

Guys, it is still unknown whether a ski jump will be part of the modification.

As I wrote:

A Japanese source [...] told Naval News that the addition of a ski jump could pose weigh distribution issues to the ship (because of the presence of the bow sonar, which aircraft carrier typically don’t have).

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Jake1992 wrote:This work shouldn’t too much trouble though should it
Besides the ski jump the entire deck needs to be strengthened and coated with thermal resistant paint. I would imagine also that there would be some modifications to the refuelling and fire fighting systems.

Edit. All this is pure speculation as XAV mentions above the bow sonar may cause a problem.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

bobp wrote:Edit. All this is pure speculation as XAV mentions above the bow sonar may cause a problem.
You have to wonder how much use that bow sonar is. The USN tried it with CV's in the 60's (and they were huge) and gave up on it very sharpish. Is this a case of the Japanese taking the 'Destroyer' name a little too literally?
bobp wrote:Besides the ski jump the entire deck needs to be strengthened and coated with thermal resistant paint.
There'll be some dockside works for sure, but I suspect the Japanese have some margin built in, especially since it will have been built with V-22 and other large US helos in mind. The thermal coating seems to be a fairly straightforward change, albeit one that requires time to do, but then if its in for a refit to add a ski jump that isn't going to be an issue. The biggest issue I could see for them would be the extended amount of time that the Izumo's wouldn't be available for their normal role whilst they developed and worked up their own capability with F-35. A decision to add F-35 and its associated support and work up to operations could effectively remove them from the fleet for 3+ years (probably closer to 5) even with US, UK or Italian help, which raises the question of whether the Japanese would be better off buying a new Izumo with the modifications built in from the start to get the capability up and running before taking the other Izumo's in hand.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Having F-35Bs embarked within the JMSDF ASW groups is going to be a step change in capability and I wonder how long it will be until Korea decides to acquire the "B" to operate from their new amphibious platforms. Together with the USMC this would provide a substantial non CVN carrier capability in the area as a counter to China.