RN anti-ship missiles

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Re: RN anti-ship missiles

Post by Lord Jim »

Even Russia's new COrvettes/Light Firgates have supersonic AShM and Cruise Missiles, with a reasonable Air Defence Capability. They are also often equipped with more of each type compared to NATO's usual maximum of eight sub sonic AShMs. Even their conventional SSKs carry long Range supersonic and cruise missiles. Without a good offense the initiative is with the opposition in most cases.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

I think it is worth noting that most of the Russian navy is sub 3000 ton ships so as said a near hypersonic Aster 30 would achieve a mission kill

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Tempest414 wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 08:40 I think it is worth noting that most of the Russian navy is sub 3000 ton ships so as said a near hypersonic Aster 30 would achieve a mission kill
Not sure. It all depends on WHERE the missile hits. If the Aster 30 hits the forward gun, (don't ask me why, just "if"), the gun will be lost but the ship will keep fighting. Aster 30 dart is light weight, can't find the number but it shall be something like 150 kg or less (as the fuel burns out).

(In comparison, SM1MR (SM2MR) weighs 560 kg (or 600 kg).)

By the way, Aster 30 will not be hypersonic (but will be super-sonic) in its terminal phase (actually, this is true for majority of the hypersonic missiles). Atmosphere in low altitude is very dense. If there is a Mach 3 = 1000 m/s, 100 kg dart flying, it is 0.1 MJ. This corresponds to 25 kg of TNT (energy similar to a warhead of, say, 40 kg or so? No idea) . And, Aster has a 15 kg focused fragmented warhead.

SeaSparrow has a 41 kg warhead and 230 kg dart. It onece hit a Turkish destroyer. See https://turkishnavy.net/2019/10/02/lest ... uavenet-6/

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Lets see if this goes anywhere.

With Vertical and canister launched now possible for LRASM it could be a good option.
These users liked the author Jdam for the post:
serge750

GarethDavies1
United Kingdom

Post by GarethDavies1 »

Sense at last...shame they've wasted 2 to 3 years.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

“I don’t know if it’s been contracted…. The navy have decided on an interim weapon… we’re in negotiation now”.

Not definitive but taken together it sounds like they’ve selected the successful bidder.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

RichardIC wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 18:41 “I don’t know if it’s been contracted…. The navy have decided on an interim weapon… we’re in negotiation now”.

Not definitive but taken together it sounds like they’ve selected the successful bidder.
It does sound like that, I wonder if they finished ISSGW and then axed it. Now this is just them just them dusting off the results and going with their selection.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Thought they said it was about hypersonics now……
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
donald_of_tokyo

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Or even Hypothetical ! :lol:
These users liked the author Scimitar54 for the post:
serge750

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

Given what was discussed over Ukraine and the Military Aid it sounds as though we have gifted our stocks of Harpoon to them and using the MA to buy some replacements.

As we've also being doing deals with Norway over gas, and its inherent suitability alongside a hypersonic FCASW, I think some NSMs are incoming.
These users liked the author tomuk for the post (total 4):
Dobbojonasserge750SD67

Dobbo
United Kingdom

Post by Dobbo »

I wonder if it will still be 5x sets or if they will purchase enough for the T45 and T31 (c.11 sets)?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Or they have been told by MBDA that the move from Subsonic to Hypersonic will take longer to deliver and cost a lot more so they dragging it out and filling the new bigger gap
These users liked the author Tempest414 for the post:
Scimitar54

Dobbo
United Kingdom

Post by Dobbo »

Plus we’ve seen how effective subsonic and (what I would politely describe as relatively basic) SSMs can do to a warship in the past few months.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Tempest414 wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 08:43 Or they have been told by MBDA that the move from Subsonic to Hypersonic will take longer to deliver and cost a lot more so they dragging it out and filling the new bigger gap
It was complete bull shit from the very beginning, how many complex weapons systems joint developed have been completed in 6-8 years timescale?

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

it would appear yesterday Ben Wallace in his appearance before the Defence Committee announced a U-turn on buy of an interim anti-ship missile replacement for Harpoon, the RN in current negotiation for one.

Feb '22
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... %20Navy%20(RN,ship%20missile%20systems%20was%20abandoned.

~1:11

These users liked the author NickC for the post:
donald_of_tokyo

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Royal Navy negotiating Naval Strike Missile purchase

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/nava ... -purchase/

There it is.
These users liked the author Jdam for the post (total 8):
JensyCaribbeanJohnMwargame_insomniacdmereifieldtomukArmChairCivvydonald_of_tokyo

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Rolls-Royce to join FC/ASW programme :-

https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press ... ssile.aspx

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

new propulsion solution for a subsonic
Interesting I thought the French wanted a Hypersonic missile.

ETH
United Kingdom

Post by ETH »

Jdam wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 17:48
new propulsion solution for a subsonic
Interesting I thought the France wanted a Hypersonic missile.
Current plan is to go for both.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

With us getting an intern solution and the French already having Exocet I wonder why they haven't focus on the Hypersonic part of the program first.

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Why on earth subsonic ? I could understand to some degree not pushing for hypersonic but surely they should be be going for a decent supersonic speed since this missile will be expected to be in service well in to the 2050s.

Dobbo
United Kingdom

Post by Dobbo »

I think the anti ship missile is the supersonic one, the subsonic one is (apparently) a much larger land attack missile. Feels ambitious to have different ones - but what do I know!
These users liked the author Dobbo for the post:
wargame_insomniac

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Subsonic missiles you can at make “stealthy”

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Dobbo wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 21:27 I think the anti ship missile is the supersonic one, the subsonic one is (apparently) a much larger land attack missile. Feels ambitious to have different ones - but what do I know!
I thought the whole idea of the project was to make one missile that could do both land attack and anti ship to give that greater flexibility ie instead of have 8 anti ship and 8 land attack you’d have 16 that can be used for either role.
SW1 wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 21:58 Subsonic missiles you can at make “stealthy”
Is stealthy going to be as greater use as we think though, from what Iv read to seems speed make a missile harder to stop than stealth. We’re taking about a sub Mach 1 missile here it doesn’t really fill me with confidence.

Dobbo
United Kingdom

Post by Dobbo »

Jake1992 wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 22:09
Dobbo wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 21:27 I think the anti ship missile is the supersonic one, the subsonic one is (apparently) a much larger land attack missile. Feels ambitious to have different ones - but what do I know!
I thought the whole idea of the project was to make one missile that could do both land attack and anti ship to give that greater flexibility ie instead of have 8 anti ship and 8 land attack you’d have 16 that can be used for either role.
Yep - I thought that as well… presumably the partners couldn’t agree on what they wanted.