Op Temperer

Discuss current, historical or potential future deployments, as well the defence of the UK's overseas interests.
marktigger
United Kingdom

Op Temperer

Post by marktigger »

So Troops back on British streets again. I do hope they get better cover than Op Banner

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Op Temperer

Post by RetroSicotte »

For all the hoo-hah I honestly haven't seen much impact of it all even in photos. Just a few bombsquads here and there wandering around behind the police.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

LONDON: Troops are now visibly posted at Downing Street, The Palace Of Westminster, Buckingham Palace and New Scotland Yard. They are relieving (or supporting) police officers from regular guard duties so the these police officers can be retasked to investigations.

More images: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... guard.html

Zealot
United Kingdom

Post by Zealot »

The SAS are also reportedly running around in Manchester carrying out raids.

https://www.instagram.com/unknownatom/

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I doubt thats the SAS, more likely a SFO style op. The Greater Manchester Police Commissioner Ian Hopkins has publically said there are no plans to use the military in Manchester's investigations. The military seen in London today are freeing up police officers which are being retasked to police investigation duties wherever they are needed.

Zealot
United Kingdom

Post by Zealot »

SKB wrote:I doubt thats the SAS.
CTSFO don't use MTP Camo, L119A2s (colt 8s) or walk around with Jamming equipment sticking out of their back Packs. That's clearly Special Forces of some sort.

Maybe its SF EOD? Who knows, either way they are definitely Special Forces.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Armed police officers are patrolling on board trains nationwide for the first time.
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/our-york ... -1-8563062

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

A student who planted a homemade nail bomb on a Tube train has been jailed for 15 years.

Damon Smith, 20, packed explosives and ball bearings into the device which was left in a backpack on a Jubilee Line train on 20th October 2016. He claimed in court that it was a Hallowe'en prank but was found guilty of possession of an explosive substance with intent following a trial at the Old Bailey.

The former altar boy built the device at home with a £2 clock from Tesco.
More: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 57056.html

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The UK's terror threat level has been reduced from Critical to Severe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40069959

Frenchie
France

Post by Frenchie »

Operation Temperer should not have been suspended, Operation Sentinel in France has not been interrupted since 2015. It's sad for the families, I do not know what to say.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Frenchie wrote:Operation Temperer should not have been suspended, Operation Sentinel in France has not been interrupted since 2015. It's sad for the families, I do not know what to say.
Would it have made a material difference?

JayDee
United Kingdom

Post by JayDee »

dmereifield wrote:
Frenchie wrote:Operation Temperer should not have been suspended, Operation Sentinel in France has not been interrupted since 2015. It's sad for the families, I do not know what to say.
Nope.

Frenchie
France

Post by Frenchie »

I don't agree, the means provided by the army in the case of an attack or large-scale event to be protected, as was the case during the Euro 2016, are not unnecessary.
Soldiers protect religious sites (churches, mosques, synagogues, etc...) or very frequented tourist sites (monuments, stations, etc ...) particularly exposed to the terrorist risk, they have at least a disuasive role.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

JayDee wrote:
dmereifield wrote:
Nope.
The purpose of the military presence is to deter attack on specific targets (Government, symbols of democracy and the rule of law, major tourist attractions, transport hubs and anywhere else where large crowds gather). If there had been troops deployed around London Bridge, then the attack would probably have taken place elsewhere. These groups plan their attacks carefully. Their main objective is soft targets where they can create as much mayhem as possible (and consequently a greater sense of terror) before the authorities can respond. In this case, the authorities responded with lethal force in 8 minutes. During that 8 minutes, it's reported that they were confronted by at least 4 unarmed officers (two off-duty), all of whom were injured. Had they been confronted by armed force instead, I think that it is reasonable to assume that fewer people would have been killed or injured.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Frenchie wrote:I don't agree, the means provided by the army in the case of an attack or large-scale event to be protected, as was the case during the Euro 2016, are not unnecessary.
Soldiers protect religious sites (churches, mosques, synagogues, etc...) or very frequented tourist sites (monuments, stations, etc ...) particularly exposed to the terrorist risk, they have at least a disuasive role.
I'm not sure that they dissuade Terrorist attacks, but soldiers patrolling around rail stations etc. certainly have an impact on petty crime.

Frenchie
France

Post by Frenchie »

If the presence of soldiers does not prevent an attack, it can reduce its seriousness, as Caribbean explains it so well, and indeed it has an impact on petty crime.