Double NICs allowed - to interrogate this forum for journalistic or other purposes?

Site-related information.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Double NICs allowed - to interrogate this forum for journalistic or other purposes?

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The Admins are not answering this question... so I will publish it, for discussion.

I am all for the liquidity, so to say, but honesty (transparency) should also be valued. I do not like the discussion being steered by the same person asking and answering - and, when needed, coming in with dumb-dumber & dumbest, to avoid too much attention (or being challenged for the real identity/ purpose).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Re: Double NICs allowed - to interrogate this forum for journalistic or other purposes?

Post by dmereifield »

Is this directed at me?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Double NICs allowed - to interrogate this forum for journalistic or other purposes?

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Thanks for confessing.

My next suggestion is that you take your alternative NIC down.

Admins - hello! - are you there?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

In other places it's an auto-ban offence (for the new nic) & repeat offenders are banned completely

Have the private channels been exhausted?

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

What? I don't even know what an NIC is

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Not saying that's what you've done, not something i've noticed but don't really pay much attention to who it is i'm replying too. Just chipping in on what the policy is in these cases elsewhere, some take a more hardline stance on it than others.

Nic is nickname (or username).

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Thanks for clarifying. I assumed it was directed at me since I'm aware that I ask the dumb questions around here. As someone outside of the forces/MoD/defence industries, that wants to be better informed to understand the current state of play (in terms of partitioning the BS and the truth from HMG and media outlets) I dont mind asking, what in these circles, would be considered dumb questions. I certainly don't have any alternative nicknames or hidden agenda

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

No problem, i've no dog in this fight so :)

I would almost guarantee it's not about asking the questions on it's own, it's the suspicion that you may be using different username to mask some kind of alternate agenda rather than just asking the question in the first place.

Should be a case of report it to the mods, they'll have the tools to check, and leave it at that. It would appear people are objecting to their effectiveness at this, at least publicly.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Well I await the Mod's, public, clean bill of health. ACC - just who exactly is my alter ego on here?

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

If you don't have an alternative NIC or username then you shouldn't be worried. But if you are offended in any way about a possible false accusation the complain.

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

This sort of thing always needs to be in PMs to the mods and let it be handled behind closed doors. Noone's feelings get hurt, nobody gets offended, can just move on. If you don't like the way it's being handled then that's another question.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

I'm not offended, and wouldn't complain. Mostly just interested to know which poor person on here has been mistaken as my alter ego...and of course would like it clarified that I'm not playing funny buggers

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

dmereifield wrote:I'm not offended, and wouldn't complain. Mostly just interested to know which poor person on here has been mistaken as my alter ego...and of course would like it clarified that I'm not playing funny buggers
We could Spartacus it and all claim to be your alter ego.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Cheers pal, please go ahead and get the ball rolling [I don't want anyone to find out that my alter ego is actually ACC ;)]

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The more of what gets said here makes it into any kind of press, the better.

An example of very open approach is xav. Perhaps sometimes (?) he gets alerted to a story or some so far missed detail and in reverse we have a regular flow of updates from around the world . So I am all for that, but I am perplexed when very detailed " how many & how much" questions get repeated by the same contributor. It starts to give the flavour of an unpaid research department... to a discussion forum.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

It's worth stating. If you feel someone is inciting issues by posting with multiple accounts, then PMing a moderator with evidence and examples is the best approach you can give.

Opening a vaguely accusatory thread claiming we haven't done anything about it, when not a single person has sent a single report about it isn't going to help speed the process along for any investigation. I sent a PM a few days ago even asking specifically what this was about and received no response.

If you have a problem with someone, report their post via the "Report this post" option at the top right of the posting box, marked by an "!". We generally only step in if we feel there is a clear issue emerging, so please ensure to be specific. People use this system and it gets responded to in cases where we feel it will help the situation. Most resolutions are carried out non-publically, and we don't inform people of when someone has been "spoken to" very regularly, lest it induce the "I want satisfaction" effect on a forum.

Personally, I haven't seen anything indicating multi-accounting (which is what I knew the act by, "Double NIC" is a new jargon to me) throughout, bearing in mind that this forum caters for people both new and experienced to British and World Defence matters. If anyone feels there is a case where an issue arises, then please make it clear and point it out to us via PM. Sitting waiting without letting us know is unlikely to produce any results.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

So now you know my alter ego is RS ;)

ACC, I'm m not a journalist and if I was, I would be looking for information I could cite and attribute to known sources, not usernames on a forum.

I ask specific details because I find quantitative info interesting....anyway, off to write my next piece for the Times, where else could they get such juicy scoops as £3.5 billion per Ajax "tank"....

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Could probably do with canning this thread, decision's been made and that's the end of it.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Thank you, all.

The reason I went public was no response from Admins; pls see the last msgs coming my way (all from last year)
- RS May 28, and
- ACS May 21.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Checking my inbox, I have no PM from that time period.

Almost a year is a little long to send one and assume if you don't see anything. Using the report tool, and then PMing up if they doesn't work is generally the best method. If there is no response, a follow up PM is entirely justified.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

RetroSicotte wrote:Checking my inbox, I have no PM from that time period.

Almost a year is a little long to send one and assume if you don't see anything.
Sorry, what I was trying to say was those were the dates when I last received a msg from either Admin; ie. that the msg you had sent me in response/ for clarification never showed up.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
RetroSicotte wrote:Checking my inbox, I have no PM from that time period.

Almost a year is a little long to send one and assume if you don't see anything.
Sorry, what I was trying to say was those were the dates when I last received a msg from either Admin; ie. that the msg you had sent me in response/ for clarification never showed up.
Your inbox isn't full by any chance is it? You can have a maximum of 50 PM's before you have to delete a few for new ones to come through.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:Your inbox isn't full by any chance is it? You can have a maximum of 50 PM's
Nope. Only 11 pm's (ever).

Quote worked for this thread, but not for the Airbus UK?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I can see that every time I put a comment in, there is abc and 123 there blanketing it out.

No worries about that ( and I do not read nor react to those comments).

Has it come to mind, by those that run this Board, that there is this gang going around it with "how many, how much" questions?
- one with a "journalistic" interest
- and this other one, the Joker, ending all the comments with a blaah: face :lol:

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

^^am I in the frame again?