/ Lord Jim
- if I am understanding correctly the core of the LSG (or LRG depending on what MOD is using nowadays) is the LSU - typically there will be one LSU stood up with the other 3 at various stages of the "leave, train, standby + deployed" cycle. Obviously, a key part of the FCF concept is the ability to scale up and down for the operation in hand, but most of the time a LSG will have a single LSU, but can surge up to four LSUs if required in extreme circumstances.
If we assume each LSG will be compromised primarily of 2 amphibious ships (let's call them LPDs for ease) and two escorts, whereby typically a LPD + Escort will be deployed at one time. In addition will be RFA assets as required. That would also suggest that a LPD + Escort group would typically have 1 LSU onboard, but needs to scale to 2 LSUs.
I know it's verging on Fantasy
, but what would be interesting is to use this requirement as a guide to discuss the size / capabilities of the ships required.
A LSU as I understand it, is effectively a RM company (120 men) plus support (artillery and logistics etc). Very happy to be shot down, as I have limited knowledge here, but the structure / large equipment list could be:
All very broad brush
- Troop A (30 RMs): Assault & Littoral Security Troop - e.g. securing a landing ground then protecting the insertion point via fast boats
- Deployed on the Escort
- 4 ORCs
- Troop B (30 RMs): Amphibious Close Combat Troop - e.g. LC inserted light rapid force
- Deployed from the LPD via LCVP (or similar)
- 8 x Polaris MRZR-D4s
- 4 x LCVPs (or similar)
- Troop C (30 RMs): Armoured Support Troop - e.g. LC inserted follow up support
- Deployed from the LPD via LCM/LCU (or similar)
- 4 x Vikings
- 2 x LCUs (or similar)
- Troop D (30 RMs): Airborne Close Combat Troop - e.g. Helicopter inserted light rapid force
- Deployed via Merlin
- 8 x Polaris MRZR-D4s (under slung on Merlins after initial insertion)
- 2 x Merlins
- 2 x Wildcat AHs
- Supporting Ground Units (@80? RMs/Army): Follow on units from the LPD deployed via LCM/LCU
- HQ: 6 RMs + 2 x Land Rovers
- Reconnaissance / sniper section: 8 RMs + 2 x Polaris MRZR-D4s
- Mortar Troop: 8 RMs + 2 x Vikings
- Anti-Tank (AT) Troop: 12 RMs + 2 x Vikings
- Artillery: ?
- Air Defence: ?
- Logistics: ?
- Supporting Air Units
, but it is easy to see that to support a LSU
you need to be able to transport and deploy:
- 200 RM/Army personnel
- 2 Merlins + 4 Wildcats
- 4 ORCs + 2 LCMs / LCUs + 4 LCVPs (or similar)
- 8 x Vikings and 20 light vehicles
- Plus Artillery + Air Defence units
- Plus Logistics
If you are performing an extreme / large operation where 2 LSUs would be deployed on each LPD then you need to double most of it.
Confirms IMO that currently an Albion LPD + Argus + Escort basis for a LRG isn't far wrong, with the ability to add another LPD/LSD in extreme conditions. It also sort of confirms the 4 to 6 MRSS discussion.
This of course is in addition to the logistics required to deploy an Army Brigade...