UOR vehicles brought back to the "Core" - where are they now, and who is going to get hand-me-downs next?

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
Tempest414
France

Re: UOR vehicles brought back to the "Core" - where are they now, and who is going to get hand-me-downs next?

Post by Tempest414 »

Just watching a clip on the Warthog we had 110 of them in Afgan I don;t know how many came back but why did we let it go so quickly. Why didn't we order another batch to equip a light Mech Battalion battle group

Dahedd

Re: UOR vehicles brought back to the "Core" - where are they now, and who is going to get hand-me-downs next?

Post by Dahedd »

Tempest414 wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 11:27 Just watching a clip on the Warthog we had 110 of them in Afgan I don;t know how many came back but why did we let it go so quickly. Why didn't we order another batch to equip a light Mech Battalion battle group
Agreed.

Surely they'd have been suitable chassis for Exactor, Starstreak, a heavy mortar, Brimstone or even ew/radar gear but it appears they've all been binned.
OK Another shocking waste of tax payers cash.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Tempest414 wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 11:27 Just watching a clip on the Warthog we had 110 of them in Afgan I don;t know how many came back but why did we let it go so quickly. Why didn't we order another batch to equip a light Mech Battalion battle group
It's not particularly light at 15t, and the only other Bronco operator was Singapore. It lacked variants and it clearly lacked a customer base to share investment and support.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

L Jackson and Co appear to have 75 of them in stock

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Maybe we should buy them back as the 75 come in

APC
C&C
Engineer Recovery
Medic

We could add 40 more split between SP Mortar , ground launch Brimstone and logistics support and if we don't want more Warthogs these 40 extra could be Viking this would give us good battalion battle group for up North

@ RunningStrong - At 15t it would be well within modern light mech thinking would it not as both Eagle 6x6 and Bushmaster are tipping that when loaded as well

Failing all of the above maybe we should buy them back and give them to Ukraine
These users liked the author Tempest414 for the post:
Dahedd

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

We would do better to purchase more Viking Mk2s to allow units from one of the Light BCT operate effective where there is a lot of snow. We already have the training and support infrastructure in place as well as 100 Viking Mk2s in service and some of these will not be needed for the Royal Marines in the future. Even if they do want all of them still it is still the right platform for at least part of one of the Light BCTs in my opinion.