Royal Navy General News

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Royal Navy General News

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Caribbean wrote:34, but that only 6
A year or two back I read something like that when I was looking into who are the 'Flag Officers'
- I think it turned out that they are all on land :)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

Lord Jim wrote:Does anyone know how many Admirals are currently serving in the Royal Navy?

"The first reality check that needs to be made is to try and reassure people that 34 Admirals isn’t actually that many relative to the size of the force. The modern Naval Service (RN, RM, RFA, RNR) is roughly 36,000 strong. This means that the total 2* and above head count is less than 0.1% of the entire force.

In reality the numbers are even lower – of these 34 posts, at anyone time roughly 13 of them are in what are considered ‘Single Service’ posts. In other words this is a purely RN job that exists for the RN and is only filled by RN Officers. Suddenly we’re down to about 0.05% of the Naval Service manpower is Admirals in genuinely naval jobs.

The remaining posts are either ‘purple’ or wider international and liaison jobs. For instance, the RN today has two ‘Admirals (4*) and six Vice Admirals (3*). Of these 8 posts, only three are directly in the Naval hierarchy (1st Sea Lord, Fleet Commander and 2nd Sea Lord). The rest are a variety of tri-service roles (for instance Chief of Joint Operations) and NATO posts.

Why does the RN need these officers in the first place and what do they do? A lot of people assume that Admirals command at sea, and are often surprised to discover that the UK has a single ‘seagoing’ Admiral (COMUKMARFOR).

In simple terms an Admiral is a senior post in a hierarchy designed to provide leadership, management, governance and ownership of responsibilities. They are required to lead organisations that may include authority over thousands of people operating globally (for example PJHQ) , or deliver complex engineering projects that will shape the future capability of the Royal Navy for decades to come (for example delivering DREADNOUGHT and QUEEN ELIZABETH). They may be responsible for managing the tribal arms of the Service (for instance the Fleet Air Arm or Submarine Service) or be charged with responsibility for safely operating nuclear warheads and reactors or having overall responsibility for the safety of keeping aircraft in the air."

See https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com ... n.html?m=1

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Aethulwulf wrote:surprised to discover that the UK has a single ‘seagoing’ Admiral (COMUKMARFOR).
ArmChairCivvy wrote:'Flag Officers'
[- I think] it turned out that they are all on land
... so I was wrong
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

https://news.sky.com/story/size-of-roya ... e-11771371

Chairman of Defence Select Committee says size of RN warship fleet is pathetic, on Sky News

xav

Post by xav »

Dstl, Royal Navy Turn to Commercial Gaming Industry for Training
The Royal Navy will be using a professional version of naval warfare video game Command (Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations) as a training tool as part of a UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) £1.5m deal.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... -training/

I am personnaly a big fan of that game, but soooo time consuming...

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

I would love to be a fan of it, but that difficulty curve! It's like running headlong into a brick wall.

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Excellent software, would highly recommend anyone giving it a go

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

inch

Post by inch »

Wonder if can be armed and how many we getting ?

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Read this article on the proposal by the U.S.M.C in divesting of much of its less mobile equipment like tanks etc but of interest was the likelihood of adopting the Australian version of a beach landing craft
https://defencetechnologyreview.partica ... lipbook/4/ would such a craft be of use to the R.N and what would be the pros and cons

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

From the Daily Mail (I know, I know)

Royal Navy sends NINE ships to shadow seven-strong Russian warship fleet active in English Channel and North Sea amid fears Putin is trying to take advantage of coronavirus crisis

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ssion=true

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

Two things are particularly interesting from 1SL's end of term video
https://twitter.com/i/status/1290994410373685255

A) The emphasis on values and the explicit rejection of bullying, harassment and discrimination.

B) The five key priorities:
*Operational advantage in the North Atlantic,
*Carrier strike group,
*Future Commando Force,
*Forward presence, and
*Technology and innovation.

My interpretation

A=the RN is part of modern British society, and

B=this is how it intends to take forward the current and future governments' defence and security demands placed on the RN.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Nearly £28 for a paperback seems a bit extreme

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

Kindle version?

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Yes. The Kindle version is cheaper, but that doesn't change what I said.

I wonder what chapter headings "The RAF are a bunch of b*****ds" and "Why we should have gone Super Hornet over F-35B" are.

J. Tattersall

Post by J. Tattersall »

I wonder what chapter headings "The RAF are a bunch of b*****ds" and "Why we should have gone Super Hornet over F-35B" are.
I'm guessing that the first is an expression that the RAF see things differently from the RN.

On the second, well Germany has just selected Super Hornet (+ more Eurofighters) over F35, much to the puzzlement of most commentators.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

J. Tattersall wrote:*Operational advantage in the North Atlantic,
*Carrier strike group,
*Future Commando Force,
That makes a good set; in the list of the key standing tasks Deterrence (CASD) comes in place of the first one, but I like this one more (more operational and deterrence is wider than the navy, though manned by sailors).

Also LitM (overlaps with CSG) has been substituted with the sharp end of it (RM), which must be a msg to the Integrated Review folks, working their butts off in a dimly lit back room somewhere.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »