General UK Defence Discussion

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
Caribbean
United Kingdom

Re: General UK Defence Discussion

Post by Caribbean »

Is there no satellite backup for the island? I've spent a few years in parts of the world where natural disasters are not unknown and everybody has satellite internet dishes for backup. I would have thought that a shared resource for each island would not be that expensive, even if relatively low bandwidth
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Bloody Hell :shock:

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Jdam wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 12:28

Bloody Hell :shock:
We aren’t in Kansas anymore are we…

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Caribbean wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 12:07 Is there no satellite backup for the island? I've spent a few years in parts of the world where natural disasters are not unknown and everybody has satellite internet dishes for backup. I would have thought that a shared resource for each island would not be that expensive, even if relatively low bandwidth
Oneweb terminals for all!

As saxa vord is up that way there maybe some satellite dishes!
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
jedibeeftrix

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

SW1 wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 11:42 Coincidence?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-63326102

Communications to Shetland have been severely disabled after a subsea cable was damaged.
Police have declared a major incident after the south subsea cable between the islands and the mainland was cut.
The force said phones, internet and computers were not usable and that officers were patrolling to try to reassure residents.
Repairs to another cable connecting Shetland and Faroe are ongoing after it was damaged last week.
So two cables damaged very suspicious...

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

It was said to be a fishing vessel, I wonder if the skipper had a Russian accent :think:

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Special (Trawler) Operation?

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

Jdam wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 16:36 It was said to be a fishing vessel, I wonder if the skipper had a Russian accent :think:
Why look to Russia for blame when we have 40% of the Scottish population acting little better than the enemy within these-days.. :roll:

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

If it was just the one cable I would probably say yes. The fact it was two cables either side of Shetlands makes me more suspicious.

Lets hope that Ben Wallace was able to get that first MROSS ordered before this week's governmental sh*tshow.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-r ... -ttsgtvds0

Let the inter service rivalry briefings and leaks begin…
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

I do love how selective quoting of a selective economic model projection have ingrained a media narrative of an illusory black hole to ensure a political agenda is put in place.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post (total 2):
Caribbeandmereifield

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

SW1 wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 11:47 I do love how selective quoting of a selective economic model projection have ingrained a media narrative of an illusory black hole to ensure a political agenda is put in place.
Bingo. There was likely no black hole, or one much much smaller. With enhanced growth to GDP (as per some of the more sensible bits of the "mini budget") there wouldn't have been an issue. I suspect that the new austerity coming through, if Hunt does press ahead as stated, will actually cause a recession, or at the least cause lower growth, which will actually manifest a black hole

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

dmereifield wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 14:19
SW1 wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 11:47 I do love how selective quoting of a selective economic model projection have ingrained a media narrative of an illusory black hole to ensure a political agenda is put in place.
Bingo. There was likely no black hole, or one much much smaller. With enhanced growth to GDP (as per some of the more sensible bits of the "mini budget") there wouldn't have been an issue. I suspect that the new austerity coming through, if Hunt does press ahead as stated, will actually cause a recession, or at the least cause lower growth, which will actually manifest a black hole

The establishment wanted there man in no10 and between the treasury, Bank of England and the mps, they will get it. But this country needs to get business engaged and moving particularly outside of London or it’s all gonna come tumbling dwn.. The corporation tax, small business changes part of the mini were a big step in right direction imo its a real shame they’ve been scrapped. Traditional Energy investment is also a must going fwd from here. I perhaps hope these will be brought back in April and hailed a wonderful idea because someone else announces them if not I fear we’re heading for a deep recession.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces News) 28th October 2022
British soldiers are taking part in the force's largest field exercise in 2022 – also the biggest in Europe for a decade.

Exercise Cerberus sees nearly 3,500 troops deployed to Germany, aimed at confirming the five British Army brigade headquarters that sit within the division are ready for operations.

It is a large command post exercise designed to assess the ability of the brigade headquarters in 3rd UK Division – the United Kingdom's fighting division – and ensure readiness.
These users liked the author SKB for the post (total 2):
wargame_insomniacbobp

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

I wish they had practiced deploying to Poland or Estonia rather than Sennelager, as a truer test of our logistics capabilities to deploy where needed in Eastern Europe, not just deploying to an existing British base and training area. But I guess its still getting us closer to that aim.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 20:25 I wish they had practiced deploying to Poland or Estonia rather than Sennelager, as a truer test of our logistics capabilities to deploy where needed in Eastern Europe, not just deploying to an existing British base and training area. But I guess its still getting us closer to that aim.
I suspect that certain megalomaniac dictators might have taken that as justification for committing further atrocities in Ukraine
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

SW1 wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 21:27 https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Ind ... 7f744ff145

Full committee hearing
Well worth 2 hours of watching I thought

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I must admit that I strongly believe that having withdrawn most of our forces from continental Europe, we need to hold an exercise to deploy a full heavy BCT from the UK to say eastern Germany or western Poland, on short notice. The use of prepositioned heavy equipment is a must to find out if the right equipment is in place and in the right quantities and availability levels. Until we carry out such an exercise at short notice we do not know if we can still do this and what lessons can be learned for future exercises. I believe these exercises should be held every two years for a full BCT, to different European locations as well as locations further afield such as Oman. When I say full BCT I mean just that including all the support units from units outside the BCT's permanent structure, units such as logistics, Artillery, combat engineering and so on.
These users liked the author Lord Jim for the post:
wargame_insomniac

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Lord Jim wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 11:20 I must admit that I strongly believe that having withdrawn most of our forces from continental Europe, we need to hold an exercise to deploy a full heavy BCT from the UK to say eastern Germany or western Poland, on short notice. The use of prepositioned heavy equipment is a must to find out if the right equipment is in place and in the right quantities and availability levels. Until we carry out such an exercise at short notice we do not know if we can still do this and what lessons can be learned for future exercises. I believe these exercises should be held every two years for a full BCT, to different European locations as well as locations further afield such as Oman. When I say full BCT I mean just that including all the support units from units outside the BCT's permanent structure, units such as logistics, Artillery, combat engineering and so on.
I think the U.K. contribution to nato need to be centred on Joint expeditionary force going fwd. all members are part of nato or applied now I think and it gives direction of focus.

It’s not without historical precedent either long time ago 1 infantry brigade was the U.K. mobile force allocated to deploy from the U.K. to a roughly similar geographical area.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Caribbean wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 23:31
wargame_insomniac wrote: 29 Oct 2022, 20:25 I wish they had practiced deploying to Poland or Estonia rather than Sennelager, as a truer test of our logistics capabilities to deploy where needed in Eastern Europe, not just deploying to an existing British base and training area. But I guess its still getting us closer to that aim.
I suspect that certain megalomaniac dictators might have taken that as justification for committing further atrocities in Ukraine
It was only 3,500 troops. A sobering reflection on our dwindling Armed Forces.
As an another example, for a recent NATO fighter training exercise we sent just TWO Typhoons.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 22:17
Caribbean wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 23:31
It was only 3,500 troops. A sobering reflection on our dwindling Armed Forces.
As an another example, for a recent NATO fighter training exercise we sent just TWO Typhoons.
Back in the Cold War the F3s used to do regular 2 ship detachment to Scandinavian nato fighter meets to practice DACT usually lasted only a few days at time. If similar has restarted that would be a gd thing I think.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

SW1 wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 11:43
Lord Jim wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 11:20 I must admit that I strongly believe that having withdrawn most of our forces from continental Europe, we need to hold an exercise to deploy a full heavy BCT from the UK to say eastern Germany or western Poland, on short notice. The use of prepositioned heavy equipment is a must to find out if the right equipment is in place and in the right quantities and availability levels. Until we carry out such an exercise at short notice we do not know if we can still do this and what lessons can be learned for future exercises. I believe these exercises should be held every two years for a full BCT, to different European locations as well as locations further afield such as Oman. When I say full BCT I mean just that including all the support units from units outside the BCT's permanent structure, units such as logistics, Artillery, combat engineering and so on.
I think the U.K. contribution to nato need to be centred on Joint expeditionary force going fwd. all members are part of nato or applied now I think and it gives direction of focus.

It’s not without historical precedent either long time ago 1 infantry brigade was the U.K. mobile force allocated to deploy from the U.K. to a roughly similar geographical area.
I have commented before that I want UK Army to focus on Northern Europe i.e. Scandinavia, the Baltics and Poland. So the only difference versus your suggestion is that Poland is not a member of NATO JEF.

The RM's and/or 16 Air Assault Brigade Combat Team would be the first wave followed by any Light Infantry battalions and then 3rd UK Division, ideally having some of their heavy armour advance deployed.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 22:17 It was only 3,500 troops. A sobering reflection on our dwindling Armed Forces.
I don't think the numbers would be important to Putin. The location is what would trigger him.
Winston Churchill

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Caribbean wrote: 04 Nov 2022, 07:14
wargame_insomniac wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 22:17 It was only 3,500 troops. A sobering reflection on our dwindling Armed Forces.
I don't think the numbers would be important to Putin. The location is what would trigger him.
We did deploy a armoured battle group of some 2000 troops to Poland earlier this year using a point class and 104 TSB we also at the same time deployed the 16XX battle group of some 2500 troop to North Macedonia