MBDA (UK)

Contains threads on equipment developed by the UK defence and aerospace industry, but not in service with the British Armed Forces.
Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: MBDA (UK)

Post by Timmymagic »

Big contract for MBDA UK....£1.9bn for the Polish Pilica system. 44 launchers, and you'd have to assume at least 1 reload per launcher, more than 800 missiles...

And next up is Narew....same launchers with CAMM-ER and CAMM....

Then CAMM-EX/MR (whatever its called)....

With Brimstone as well....Poland is turning into a major market for MBDA, hopefully they can get further wins...personally think the Poles would bite their hand off for LPS...Sea Venom would make a lot of sense as well...

These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post (total 4):
SW1Phil Rleonardwargame_insomniac

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post (total 2):
Ron5Phil R

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I wonder how MAADS compares to Sky Sabre.

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

Ron5 wrote: 10 May 2023, 14:16 I wonder how MAADS compares to Sky Sabre.
Sky Sabre > Rafael MIC4AD C4I > SAAB Giraffe AMB radar > CAMM (+ER at some point)
MAADS > MBDA Sirius C4I > Leonardo Kronos Land Radar > CAMM-ER
These users liked the author tomuk for the post:
Ron5

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

tomuk wrote: 10 May 2023, 17:37
Sky Sabre > Rafael MIC4AD C4I > SAAB Giraffe AMB radar > CAMM (+ER at some point)
MAADS > MBDA Sirius C4I > Leonardo Kronos Land Radar > CAMM-ER
Plus mabye CAMM-XR at some point beyond the ER somepoint.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

I'd expect it to be slightly superior. Obviously CAMM-ER has extended range, but Kronos has superior range as a radar as well.
But range isn't everything....as for the other components I suspect only someone directly comparing them in a competitive procurement would know.
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
Ron5

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Saudi purchase. Only $20m but it's an addition to the original $120m order.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/nava ... news_promo

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Cross posted to the GCAP thread as well...posted here for completeness.

One of the Japanese companies will of course be Mitsubishi Heavy Industries...

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... -teammates

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Poland March 2018 awarded $4.75 billion contract for two Patriot batteries with 16 launchers for their Phase 1 Wisla programme (Shield of Poland) for its medium range air defence system in preference to MEADS and SAMP/T Aster. Included in 2018 Poland contract a $713 million deal to buy the US Army Northrup Grumman Integrated Air and Missile Defense Battle Command System (IBCS), first IBCS unit delivered July 2021 and first batch of Lockheed PAC-3 MSE missiles delivered March, 2023.

Poland March 2022 sent LoR for Phase 2 Wisla for an additional six Patriot batteries with twelve fire sets, each including radar, command and fire control station, four M903 launchers and communication systems including the new US Army Patriot C-band AESA GaN LTAMDS radar at approx $130 million each, Poland originally said the new LTAMDS 360º field-of-view radar too expensive compared to the older Patriot C-band 120º field-of-view AN/MPQ-65 PESA radar which 60% to 70% cheaper than the GaN LTAMDS. Understand Poland has negotiated a 40% offset agreement for its Wisla Polish industry consortium.

In 2019 MBDA, Saab and Northrop Grumman completed a joint, collaborative effort to demonstrate the ability to integrate CAMM and Giraffe radar into the IBCS for the Polish Narew short-range air defense system, mention of purchasing 19 Narew batteries, assuming percentage of Polish industry offset industry agreement played an important part in MBDA winning the CAMM and CAMM-ER contract against strong competition that included Kongsberg/Raytheon NASAMS, Diehl Defence's IRIST-T-SL ,and MBDA's VL MICA, Raytheon also offered a boosterless version of Sky Sceptor for Narew and Sky Sceptor with its booster for Phase 2 Wisla with as much as 60 percent Polish industrial workshare.

PS The NG IBCS replaces the Israeli Rafael/Mprest Iron Dome MIC4AD Modular, Integrated C4I Air & Missile Defense as used with Sky Sabre.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Looks like Germany might be buying Brimstone, finally, for Typhoon...

https://esut.de/en/2023/05/meldungen/41 ... -hubs-auf/

Article extract

"In addition, preparations are underway to procure the Brimstone air-to-surface guided missile for the Air Force, which is to be integrated on the Eurofighter, as Guido Brendler, Head of Sales and Business Development at MBDA, explained at a press event in Schrobenhausen today. The selection decision to introduce this weapon had already been made in the past decade, but was then no longer pursued with vigour. Here, too, MBDA Germany is thinking of an assembly line for the missile developed by the British sister company at the Schrobenhausen site."

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Looks like the c150 Italian Storm Shadow went to MBDA in Stevenage for their MLU, the Greek ones I guess will go to France (as they were purchased from MBDA France).

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Possible first look at CAMM-MR....100km+ range.

The *'d bit in the corner does say the Polish for placeholder though...

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

MBDA pitching Asraam and Brimstone to the Malaysian Air Force for their F/A-50 Block 20's it appears...

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Interesting concept, may well be carried on by the MBDA Remote Carriers....but I could see there being a Spear variant to do this as well...

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/air- ... 46-TEBG_Ok

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Aquila was MBDA's answer to the European HYDEF programme, but they lost out to another group. Appears they haven't given up though.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

It appears that the Japanese/British JNAAM, the Meteor missile with AAM-4B AESA seeker attached, will be tested but will not progress further to production. Japanese Gov reports have no put a budget line in for spending past 2023. Apparently they will test fire it but it will stop then...

Allegedly problems with Thales and the French part of MBDA have played a part...

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

Timmymagic wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 19:47 Allegedly problems with Thales and the French part of MBDA have played a part...
The French are the cause of problems in military defence projects ... go figure!!!
These users liked the author TheLoneRanger for the post:
wargame_insomniac

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

SPEAR EW now fully funded.
These users liked the author Jdam for the post (total 4):
serge750wargame_insomniacLittle JTheLoneRanger

Ian Hall
United Kingdom

Post by Ian Hall »

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Earlier today MBDA published some news....then later withdrew and said it was a mistake.....sounds like they pushed the publish button a little too soon....contract signed with Swedish FMV...suspect they need to announce to Parliament first...

Looks like CAMM for Sweden....on the Visby Class...

There was a story on Naval Recognition but it has been pulled...
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
serge750

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

Didn't we already know CAMM was going on the Visby's?

zavve
Sweden

Post by zavve »

new guy wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 20:44 Didn't we already know CAMM was going on the Visby's?
No official SAM is formally yet to be chosen for Visby MLU but FMV has shown CAMM + EXLS in a PowerPoint about Visby MLU. But being frank the odds are extremely high that it will be CAMM since Visby can't fit Mk41+ESSM without drastically changing the flight deck.
There is also a big chance that CAMM-MR will be fitted on YSF2030 (if MBDA UK can deliver CAMM-MR before 2030) since it will be armed with medium-range missiles to contribute to NATO IAMD.
These users liked the author zavve for the post (total 2):
new guywargame_insomniac

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

CAMM / Sea Ceptor seem to be one of our biggest success stories. :thumbup:
These users liked the author Jdam for the post (total 3):
new guywargame_insomniacserge750

new guy
United Kingdom