Gamer Thread

For everything that doesn't fit elsewhere; literature, movies, video games - whatever you desire.
GastonGlocker
United States of America

Gamer Thread

Post by GastonGlocker »

For the small-arms enthusiast with a penchant for video games:

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post ... nths-ago-i

arfah
Niue

Re: Gamer Thread

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Favourite game - Kerbal Space Program :D

GastonGlocker
United States of America

Post by GastonGlocker »

arfah wrote:My personal favourite pixelated weapon system was the PPSH41.

Good for close quarters, full auto for suppression and plenty of time between magazine changes due to its 75 round capacity.

Seldom ever play those type of games now, though.
Good choice. The 7.62x25 is a vicious little cartridge. A threat to Kevlar body armor in real life.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-t ... s-o-truth/

That said, same as you, no time for games these days. Trying to keep the kids off of the games is the hardest part.

Did enjoy wasting time with Return To Castle Wolfenstein back in the day. Suppressed Sten was my favorite.

GastonGlocker
United States of America

Post by GastonGlocker »

SKB wrote:Favourite game - Kerbal Space Program :D

Thanks for sharing. I can see getting this for the kids.

GastonGlocker
United States of America

Post by GastonGlocker »

Battlefield 1 trailer - looks like fun:

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Does anybody know when/if the next modern warfare is out? All that future crap doesn't appeal to me, its either ww2 or current that floats my boat.

JayDee
United Kingdom

Post by JayDee »

Little J wrote:Does anybody know when/if the next modern warfare is out? All that future crap doesn't appeal to me, its either ww2 or current that floats my boat.

re release MW alongside the infinite warfare crap.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Sony PlayStation 4 Pro officially revealed
^ PS4 Pro

^ PS4 Pro £349 from November 2016

UPDATE: Strangely, the PS4 Pro will do 4K gaming on a 4K tv, but it will NOT play any 4K blurays.... ?! :shock:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Nintendo Switch games console revealed!
^ Nintendo Switch

Introduction
Nintendo Switch is an upcoming video game console developed by Nintendo. Officially unveiled in October 2016, it is currently scheduled for release worldwide in March 2017. Nintendo Switch is a hybrid device; the Switch console is a tablet-like portable console, which can be inserted into a docking station attached to a television to use it as a home console. Despite this characteristic, Nintendo still markets the Switch as primarily being a home console rather than a portable. The Switch features two detachable wireless controllers, called Joy-Cons, which can be used individually or attached to a grip to provide a traditional gamepad form.

Hardware
Nintendo Switch is designed as a hybrid device which can operate as both a handheld video game console and a home video game console; the main system, referred to as the "Switch console", is a tablet with two detatchable "Joy-Con" controllers named Joy-Con L and Joy-Con R, and a kickstand. The Switch console can be inserted into a docking station known as the Switch Dock, which allows the console to be connected to a television. Although it is a hybrid device, a Nintendo spokesperson stated that Switch was "a home gaming system first and foremost", and that it does not affect Nintendo's continued sales of the Nintendo 3DS. Instead, Nintendo will start to diminish production of the Wii U in anticipation of the Switch's release.

The controllers can be used whilst attached to the Switch console (similar to the Wii U GamePad), or they can be removed and used either separately in each hand (similarly to a Wii Remote and Nunchuck), attached to a grip to provide a gamepad form factor, or as individual controllers for multiple players. It will also support a wireless standalone gamepad known as the Switch Pro Controller, which has a more traditional design reminscent of the Wii U Pro Controller. Switch will support wireless multiplayer via multiple systems, for example, allowing four players to play using two Switch systems.

Exact specifications have not been officially announced, but Nvidia confirmed that Switch uses a system-on-chip from its Nvidia Tegra family of products. No specific details were revealed beyond that it is "based on the same architecture as the world's top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards", and has a custom API known as "NVN" which is designed to "bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses". Games distributed at retail will be stored on cartridge-like Game cards, similar in design to those used for Nintendo DS and 3DS games. The Nintendo Switch will be compatible with Amiibo figurines.

Games
During its official unveiling, Nintendo announced some of the partners that had committed to supporting Switch; contrasting Nintendo's struggles to gain third-party support on-launch for previous platforms, the company initally listed 48 third-party publishers, studios, and middleware developers. Among these partners, Nintendo listed major publishers such as Activision, Bandai Namco Entertainment, Capcom, Electronic Arts, Konami, Sega, Square Enix, Take Two Interactive, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, as well as 505 Games, Arc System Works, Atlus, Bethesda Softworks, Codemasters, FromSoftware, Frozenbyte, Koei Tecmo, Level-5, PlatinumGames, Spike Chunsoft, Telltale Games, and THQ Nordic, among others.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, originally announced as a Wii U exclusive, will be released for both Wii U and Switch. The console's reveal trailer showcased footage from potential new titles in the Super Mario, Mario Kart, and Splatoon series.

Prior to the console's official unveiling, Sega and Ubisoft had already confirmed specific third-party titles in development for Switch, including Just Dance 2017 and Project Sonic 2017. The reveal trailer also featured footage of a port of NBA 2K17. While footage from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was shown, Bethesda, the game's developer, later stated they had not yet planned on bringing the game to the Switch, but had provided Nintendo the footage to support the reveal as a committed developer for the system.

Reception
Following the October 2016 reveal video, Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, was questioned on Twitter about his thoughts on the Nintendo Switch, and replied saying that he was impressed with Nintendo's ability to "state a bold vision and build a product that delivers on that vision".

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Nintendo Switch video analysis and speculation

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Nintendo Switch Launch Presentation
From Nintendo UK Youtube channel:

WhiteWhale
Somalia

World of Warships

Post by WhiteWhale »

Surprised that there hasn't been more talk on here of this Naval game, especially following the fairly recent addition of Royal Navy Cruisers.

Anyone else here play?

Just a quick video for those who may be interested, not by me of course, I am considerable worse... :(

bobp
United Kingdom

Re: World of Warships

Post by bobp »

Yes have played for about 4 hours so I'm at a miserable level 4. Seems like a decent game so far.

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

The early levels are good fun and don't take too long to grind through. All I will say is that while it is tempting to start off the the British Cruisers they are considered more for experienced players and can be quite frustrating!

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

The British cruiser Danae I am finding to be a pain in the ass. Getting the next upgrade also needing lots of experience points.

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

The British cruisers get progressively worse until the awfulness peaks at T5 with the truly horrific Emerald, they then get rapidly better. The Leander, Fiji and onwards are much much better ships. But they are all still light cruisers and incredibly fragile, playing the RN line can be a pretty frustrating experience. If you enjoy the lower tiers then by all means play them more, you can convert the xp gained into 'free xp' that will help you bypass some of the t4/t5 suffering.

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

Coming soon: The Hood.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

WhiteWhale wrote:But they are [all still light cruisers and] incredibly fragile
A bit like the British battle cruisers then, in Jutland, when operational (and design?) shortcuts taken in order to increase the rate of fire caused disasters from hits that should, at the most, caused a mission kill
- I wonder if HMS Hood inherited any such (as they say, accidents and disasters don't come in ones...)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
WhiteWhale wrote:But they are [all still light cruisers and] incredibly fragile
A bit like the British battle cruisers then, in Jutland, when operational (and design?) shortcuts taken in order to increase the rate of fire caused disasters from hits that should, at the most, caused a mission kill
- I wonder if HMS Hood inherited any such (as they say, accidents and disasters don't come in ones...)
As much as the game engine can emulate such things, hull and armour geometry, thickness and angles are all modelled as is the size and location of the citadel. So weaknesses and strengths of the real ship are mostly modelled. The size, weight, velocity and penetration of shelss are also modelled with mostly historic values but are all tweaked for gameplay. Things like how easily a ship burns or how it's crew are capable of repair are more subjective and often tweaked to make a balanced game experience.

In gameplay so far for instance the Hood can really put it's real world armour to good use as long as it's holding the correct angle at the correct distance, it is surprisingly a good tank. Show too much of a flat side at the wrong distance to another battleship though and you will be punished hard.

For the Royal Navy light cruisers already in the game I think watership down sums it up quite nicely.

''All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed. ''

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

WhiteWhale wrote:and your people will never be destroyed.
Yep, screening, finding (recce ahead) all those tricks with cruisers - the destroyers were there separately, close up, to destroy any torpedo boats. The best cruiser cunning was displayed by Cunningham... no not our, in the Med, but the one near Guadalcanal (he only had cruisers at his disposal), who lead them in a single row through two parallel rows of IJN battle ships... who could not bring their fire power to bear in the fear of "blue on blue".

Thanks for the details; I don't play, but the depth of the research that goes into making these games is incredible. E.g. how the Free French held out so long in Beda Fomm against German tanks (mainly with WW1 75 mm artillery) only dawned on me from a research note that a Texan (student?) had made for some game, after digging into the French archives. The glory and bravery of France (the official explanation, of course much needed in wartime) had satisfied everyone writing books about it, without bothering such diligence.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Finding the destroyers more fun in the game. Whilst its nice to drive the big battleships, they are a lot costly to run. Currently I'm working my way up the ladder with the German destroyers and also the French Cruisers. Can be frustrating when you get blown up early in the game as well. Some of the challenges I have tried have been just that challenging. Set the enemy ships on fire 30 times being one of them. Overall enjoy my playing time and its a good game.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

bobp wrote:working my way up the ladder with the German destroyers
Don't take them anywhere near Narvik as in the "two battles of Narvik (10 and 13 April). Ten [German] destroyers were sunk "
- sinking the overall surface navy capability to the level of raiding (despite having capital ships pretty much intact)

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

bobp wrote:Finding the destroyers more fun in the game. Whilst its nice to drive the big battleships, they are a lot costly to run. Currently I'm working my way up the ladder with the German destroyers and also the French Cruisers. Can be frustrating when you get blown up early in the game as well. Some of the challenges I have tried have been just that challenging. Set the enemy ships on fire 30 times being one of them. Overall enjoy my playing time and its a good game.
The fire challenges are a lot more difficult for DD's and light cruisers now stealth fire has been removed, you have to be much more cautious about when you can fire and reveal yourself. Previously you could just spam HE shots from outside of detection range and be safe.

Artesh
Iran

Post by Artesh »