RFA Diligence

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: RFA Diligence

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Let's see what "they"
webmaster@parliament.uk say.
- asked about the last page as all the rest of the information has been available, and blacking it out would provide no benefit.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Out of curiosity Diligence will need to be replaced soon, with it being a capability that really shouldn't be gapped ( like HMG seem to like to do at the min ) a replacement needs to be looked at.

Would using RRS sir David Attenborough as a base for the design be any good ?
It has the polar strength hull so would not need the support of a icebreak witch is required, as well as s large heli pad. The hull could be extended to around say 150m in length and the internal lay out modified.

Would it be a good starting point instead of starting from scratch ?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Wouldn't be surprised if Diligence is never replaced, and we see more agreements with onshore facilities.

The Polar ship could make a good starting point, but there are tonnes off offshore support vessels that may be a closer starting point.

Again I would be surprised to see some of those support vessels contracted to the MOD to supplement expanded shore facilities around the world.

My favourite concept however has to be the BMT float-on float-off barge;

@LandSharkUK

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

diligence will be replaced in time probably after another trip to an op at the end of a long supply line with limited support facilities available.
Falklands showed the need for her but recent ops haven't needed it so the planners feel they can dispense with her. the wheel will go full circle in the future.
we had repair ships in the past Ramehead and Berryhead were the last generation both cast in the 60's/70's

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Falklands shows very little, it was 35 years ago, nothing that was true back then can be considered true today without a rigorous reassessment.
@LandSharkUK

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Is it really wise though not to replace her and become wholly reliant on allies being kind enough to allow us to use their shores ?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Jake1992 wrote:Is it really wise though not to replace her and become wholly reliant on allies being kind enough to allow us to use their shores ?
nope but was it sensible to retire Ramehead and Berryhead?

politicians, accountants,civil servants and Defence chiefs don't seam to look at the history

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

When was the last time Diligence was used properly?

Retiring her is sensible, no point paying for a ship that's never used. The underhand way she was retired is where the problem lies.

Yes its good to have the capacity in reserve, but with so much reserve available in civilian fleets its difficult to justify the MOD shelling out for it, especially when more important things are left unfunded.
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

shark bait wrote:When was the last time Diligence was used properly?
I got the impression (cannot remember from where) that she was used like some modern-day submarine tender
... could have been that there were repairs to be made but if so and what kind not publicly disclosed?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

She hasn't been used much in the last 6-7 years judging by the time she has been alongside at Birkenhead. I don't totally agree with disposing of her, but just like in 1982 this vessel was still with 'Stena'? and was requisitioned during the campaign. I suspect that the same would happen again if needed. I think that was the MOD line like it or lump it that we would hire out commercial vessels as and when needed which probably costs less than running Diligence permanently.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Rambo wrote:She hasn't been used much in the last 6-7 years judging by the time she has been alongside at Birkenhead. I don't totally agree with disposing of her, but just like in 1982 this vessel was still with 'Stena'? and was requisitioned during the campaign. I suspect that the same would happen again if needed. I think that was the MOD line like it or lump it that we would hire out commercial vessels as and when needed which probably costs less than running Diligence permanently.

How many similar vessels there is under Red pennant?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

abc123 wrote:How many similar vessels there is under Red pennant?
They use tugs,

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
abc123 wrote:How many similar vessels there is under Red pennant?
They use tugs,
I think abc was referring to the Red Duster!
shark bait wrote:Falklands shows very little, it was 35 years ago, nothing that was true back then can be considered true today without a rigorous reassessment.
I think you dismiss the Falklands War too lightly. It may have been 35 years ago but their are still many lessons relevant today, both in terms of equipment and the conduct of war.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Yes, but people jump straight to the Falklands at every opportunity, preparing for the last war etc....
@LandSharkUK

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

A repair ship / submarine tender was a big Royal Navy advantage that no one else in Europe has. Now that too is gone, and another bit of that "global" nature of the RN is lost.

It is not a matter of "last war". Things are still going to break down at sea. Submarines are still going to need supplies, torpedoes and repairs. The RN had a mean to do it far away from home and without having to tow a ship to some friendly port somewhere. Now it can't.

And unlike the french navy, italian navy or others it does not have ocean-going tugs either, so even the towing bit, was it to ever be needed, would mean calling SERCO or someone else.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Gabriele wrote:It is not a matter of "last war". Things are still going to break down at sea. Submarines are still going to need supplies, torpedoes and repairs. The RN had a mean to do it far away from home and without having to tow a ship to some friendly port somewhere. Now it can't.
I agree. Given the longstanding commitment in the Persian Gulf for a Tender/HQ vessel even with the Bahrain base it makes sense for the RFA to replace Diligence. Particularly with the shipping industry in a state at present. There are real bargains to be had out there, especially on the type of ships we would need.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Gabriele wrote:A repair ship / submarine tender was a big Royal Navy advantage that no one else in Europe has. Now that too is gone, and another bit of that "global" nature of the RN is lost.

It is not a matter of "last war". Things are still going to break down at sea. Submarines are still going to need supplies, torpedoes and repairs. The RN had a mean to do it far away from home and without having to tow a ship to some friendly port somewhere. Now it can't.

And unlike the french navy, italian navy or others it does not have ocean-going tugs either, so even the towing bit, was it to ever be needed, would mean calling SERCO or someone else.

Agreed.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

shark bait wrote:Yes, but people jump straight to the Falklands at every opportunity, preparing for the last war etc....
While Generals and others are often accused of preparing for the last war, in truth its more usual for them to ignore the lessons from the previous war or select only those lessons that support their own particular view. We then find them having to relearn the lessons from the past over and over. How well did the British Army and Government learn the lessons from Iraq and apply them to Afghanistan?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

TD had a very good post ages ago about how the British Army forgot about mines, if not IEDs, several times over, every time ending up beginning from scratch and buying new mine-protected vehicles because those it had purchased the time before had been quickly thrown out of the window at the end of immediate need.

That was a good example. Another giant case is the sniper. It took Afghanistan to bring back snipers into focus, after yet another period of complete neglect. Unbelieavable.
I'm sure we could come up with several other cases with very little effort. AEW in the Navy (still heading for a gap, although partial, if you look at CROWSNEST dates); ASW, increasingly heading the wrong direction once again...
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

[quote="Gabriele"]
That was a good example. Another giant case is the sniper. It took Afghanistan to bring back snipers into focus, after yet another period of complete neglect. Unbelieavable.
I/quote]

Actually gabriele you are very wrong on that score the army and royal marines certainly have promoted sniping for many years! What came into focus in Afghanistan was the poor choice in ammunition for the standard infantry rifle. And the need for intermediate to long range like 7.62mm meant the need for the Designated marksman rifle. all these shortcommings were being highlighted in Ulster in the 90's The LSW was being used in the role of DMR along the border along with LMG and GPMG being deployed in larger numbers to give sections reach.
L96 rifle was already in service and the L115 was well down the road to deployment pre afghanistan.......But we digress

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

I think we are getting a bit (well a long way) off thread. But I think I must add that Gabriele gives some good examples, but I was also thinking in a much wider sense about how to fight Wars. Take the Principles of War- The distillation of lessons learned from past Wars. All officers learn them (and all Politian's should), but they are consistently ignored. In Afghanistan I can think of at least 5 Principles that were ignored. Hardly a surprise that things go wrong.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

diligence has left liverpool for portsmouth and disposal

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Does anyone know the state of RFA Diligence?

It might be cheaper to buy / convert a new vessel, but on paper she looks to be a good trials vessel for the new USV MCM kit, and more importantly we have her already. Moving her to the gulf as the MCM (manned and unmanned) mothership would free up a RFA Cardigan Bay to return to LRG duties.

The ship returning to service maybe pure fantasy, but I’ve always wondered why she is berthed within 3 Basin rather than in Fareham Creek like other RFAs that were disposed.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Repulse wrote:Does anyone know the state of RFA Diligence?
Funny you should ask, was considering her last night after seeing the Serco ship Northern River on Twitter...

Unfortunately it looks like her situation has deteriorated, somewhat recently. Evidently boredom is staring to set in with the Navy, just as with the rest of the country...
Royal Navy sailors 'wrecked' RFA Diligence with crowbars and hammers, reports say as navy confirms investigation
THE Royal Navy has confirmed an investigation is underway after sailors reportedly boarded ship before going on a ‘wrecking spree’ with hammers and crowbars.
Technical equipment including radars, sonars and communications equipment are thought have already been removed from the 10,000-tonne vessel.
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... on-2990721
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove (1964)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Now we can proceed to discuss the functions; how they are to be covered (if at all) in the future
- is forward basing the 100% answer?

Take our SSNs EoS? The docking facilities in Singapore/ DG/ Bahrain are modest and the dry docks in Oman are not a secure (base) facility
- what if one is damaged in that wide area (that will ? see more ops, sorry operating, going forward)