BAE Systems plc

Contains threads on equipment developed by the UK defence and aerospace industry, but not in service with the British Armed Forces.

Should BAE be nationalised by the UK?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

None of it
40%
All of it
28%
Parts of it
26%
Don't care
5%

Total votes: 57

marktigger
United Kingdom

Re: BAE Systems plc

Post by marktigger »

aster would be better almost as a "Bloodhound" type missile With CAMM being more in line with Rapier

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

@ Caribbean, I think a few latest model Saab Giraffe radars were procured, to be integrated with CAMM (and be first deployed to the Falklands?)
Thanks ACC. I'm pretty sure that the original request was along the lines of a "National" missile defence system, so not quite what I was hoping for (though to be expected in these straightened times, I suppose)! I guess if it proves capable of defending more than just Mount Pleasant, that is not too bad for a relatively low-cost system
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The contours on the Falklands make for an ideal testing ground for air defence systems. These new radars supposedly make it harder to fly in "under the radar" . How, that is not clear to me , as them emitting and getting the ping-backs should not have changed from the "straight-line of travel".
- passive, multi-site radars are a different story (so is the science that goes with them) but so far I have not seen any mentions of the UK planning to get any
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

BAE is not doing badly: with AMV in the ozzie recce competition and first full prototype (with Iveco) to the USMC:

"BAE Systems and IVECO Defence have joined forces to present a fully amphibious ACV 1.1 vehicle capable of performing open-ocean ship launch and recovery operations."
- would be nice to see how the recovery at sea is supposed to happen
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:BAE is not doing badly: with AMV in the ozzie recce competition and first full prototype (with Iveco) to the USMC:

"BAE Systems and IVECO Defence have joined forces to present a fully amphibious ACV 1.1 vehicle capable of performing open-ocean ship launch and recovery operations."
- would be nice to see how the recovery at sea is supposed to happen
I would guess they mean from an Amphibious assault ship, with a well deck.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... india.html

BAE Systems Receives $542 Million Contract for India M777 Howitzers

Anyone know how much of this comes back to UK plc? Presumably most of the work os in the US?

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Mu ... 8dd4ccb-ds

It's not insignificant. Respect to John Woodcock MP (but local newspaper websites are just horrid).

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

RichardIC wrote:http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Mu ... 8dd4ccb-ds

It's not insignificant. Respect to John Woodcock MP (but local newspaper websites are just horrid).
I just stumbled upon that article myself, more substantial than I had imagined - £42 million for Barrow creating 130 jobs and a similar number in the supply chain. Excellent news! Need some more Typhoon and Hawk orders next!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Laser Developed Atmospheric Lens (LDAL)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

I wonder will there be an changes to BaE's US interests with the change of whitehouse

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Light on details, but....May's not messing around...

UK's BAE Systems secures fighter jet deal with Turkey

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/bae-s ... 19817.html

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Trump, Erdogan... barmpots of the world, form a line, Britain wants you as a bessie mate.

Great news for BAES however.

http://www.baesystems.com/en/article/ba ... -programme

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Can only be good for British Aerospace Industry as a whole,hopefully it will lead to perhaps another British Fighter Jet or a replacement for the Hawk.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

bobp wrote:Can only be good for British Aerospace Industry as a whole,hopefully it will lead to perhaps another British Fighter Jet or a replacement for the Hawk.
Its certainly positive stuff, but realistically, how good can it be for UK plc? They have repeatedly stated that it is to be "100%" and "totally" Turkish, so is it likely that any significant value (as % of total components and tech) can be attributable to UK plc? If so, what components would possibly be British? I imagine RR might have a shot with the engines?
Do we know how many they plan to build, and the likely timeframe?
Seems a bit odd given that they are buying the F35 also

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

IIRC they had ej220s in mind for the engine from the beginning so I'd be fairly certain that's what the Turks are after. They said at the start they were confident with most aspects of producing their indigenous fighter but not the engine and some of the higher tech electronics. Would imagine they'll need help with stealth tech too as the original bumf claimed it would be f35 level of stealthy.

I'm thinking something along the lines of gripen. I think they decided it would be twin engined though with a slant towards air to air but multi role capable.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

BAe are pretty good when it comes to aerodynamics, wind tunnel testing and stress testing, plus of course they have the design knowledge. I am not sure about the stealth technology as I'm sure some of that is quite secret. Besides engines which will probably be built in Turkey under licence, we could end up selling the avionics/computers that make it fly and possibly the radar.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Thanks for the info guys

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

Personally I'd be dubious about letting the Turks build ej220s on license. I don't trust erdogan at all. Despite a well structured and thought out development program I doubt they could design their own Mach 2 engine so they're definitely gonna need help on that front. Perhaps something like a cross between the gripen mentoring arrangement and india's deal with the French for rafale's?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

"the gripen mentoring arrangement"?
- that has always been presented as an international reselling...OEM... arrangement (discontinued by now)

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

bobp wrote: I am not sure about the stealth technology as I'm sure some of that is quite secret. Besides engines which will probably be built in Turkey under licence, we could end up selling the avionics/computers that make it fly and possibly the radar.
Chances are it'll be like the US with different grades of 'exportability' for various bits and pieces

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The Dutch did away with their tanks and have now asked BAE to turn their CV90(35)s into such
- Israeli DAS
- Israeli Spikes
and most interestingly they might (still to be confirmed) become the frst users of the 50mm supershot (a simple conversion)

http://www.janes.com/article/67279/neth ... v-upgrades

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:"the gripen mentoring arrangement"?
- that has always been presented as an international reselling...OEM... arrangement (discontinued by now)
I think you need to do more research. There is very long history of collaboration between the UK & Sweden on Gripon and its predecessor designs. Much of the aircraft is sourced from the UK.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I know that very well. About the Gripen co-operation specifically (or rather, ending the ownership stake that came along with it) I refer you to the BAE press releases.
- you may state that they are window dressing the real reason (well, would I be surprised)

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... -contract/

BAE and Northrop are out of the running for USAF jet trainer......

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

thought that might fill the gap left after Hawk, apparently not.
@LandSharkUK