BAE Systems plc

Contains threads on equipment developed by the UK defence and aerospace industry, but not in service with the British Armed Forces.

Should BAE be nationalised by the UK?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

None of it
40%
All of it
28%
Parts of it
26%
Don't care
5%

Total votes: 57

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Re: BAE Systems plc

Post by dmereifield »

shark bait wrote:thought that might fill the gap left after Hawk, apparently not.
Was hoping so too. Will BAE pursue development of an advanced trainer for UK and export on their own?

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

More than likely, all that relevant experience in design, qualification, procurement in a 'new program' acts as a CSP even if there's limited use of direct IP (no idea how that's been organised). There's a big enough market to put forward a business case - both internal and external

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

BAE Systems has been selected to provide its ‘LiteHUD’ head-up display for Textron AirLand’s multi-mission Scorpion jet

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/bae-lit ... rpion-jet/

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

http://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/02/ ... -hawk.html

Advanced Hawk released for India, won't spoil it as I think it's an article in general worth a read, nice pieces about performance improvements, avionics fits etc.

One thing to take away is 3000kg payload on 7 pylons which can also carry tanks, RWR, countermeasures etc . .

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Highly interesting read.

Built in the UK, and can be retrofitted to existing hawks, makes it look attractive. Still no radar, which makes me wonder how they can class it as a 'Combat Hawk'.
@LandSharkUK

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Depends what sort of combat you want to do with it I guess, if it can drop a PGM in a permissive environment (given adequate support infrastructure )then that might satisfy some customers requirements.

I vaguely remember reading about how you could use a IR missiles seeker for a lock if what you were aiming at was right infront of you you could do something like that, might be good enough if you wanted to intercept a cartel aircraft or something of that ilk.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

shark bait wrote:Highly interesting read.

Built in the UK, and can be retrofitted to existing hawks, makes it look attractive. Still no radar, which makes me wonder how they can class it as a 'Combat Hawk'.
Looks like potential future orders will be produced in India though. Is there any information about the UK % workshare/components/software etc for each air frame. At least UK plc might benefit that way

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The Hawk 200 is equipped with a Northrop Grumman AN/APG-66H multi-mode radar... and is every bit as fighty, or more so than the new a/c.

The radar comes at a price (loss of the second seat).

This statement in the article
"The Advanced Hawk is the first Hawk platform with a specific combat capability, a pitch that straddles both its capacity to simulate frontline weaponry, and also as a combat force multiplier by itself."
becomes true if you insert "Trainer" in front of "Platform".
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Turkey’s TF-X fighter throws a lifeline to UK military aerospace
The UK Prime Minister’s visit to Turkey announcing BAE Systems’ collaboration on an indigenous stealth fighter for the Turkish Air Force represents a vital win for the UK military aerospace sector. TIM ROBINSON assesses the ramifications of this deal.
Read More: https://www.aerosociety.com/news/turkey ... aerospace/

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

BaE might be in a good position if the turkish and Airbus projects merged.

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Airbus is in a bit of a pickle, they're looking for people to collaborate on a Tornado replacement and the 2 best candidates have picked F-35. 4 choices on the table; do their own thing, get more Typhoon, buy F-35 or not do anything.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

A good read.

It certainly adds credibility to the Turkish project, which before buying in BAE's talent was laughable.
@LandSharkUK

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... increases/

"We expect 2017 to finally see the signing of the much-awaited £5bn Saudi contract for Typhoon which would be accompanied by a cash advance"

Zafar Khan, analyst at Societe Generale

Hopefully he has a reliable source...

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Huge if it does happen.
@LandSharkUK

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Yes but we've been here before haven't we. I'm a little concerned that the political climate isn't conducive to a large sale of arms to the Saudi's at present, hopefully, this won't scupper it...

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Continuation of the line past 2018 would be a v good thing... as the future is so far (just half exposing itself over the horizon) that with too long a gap it might not happen at all.

Like all companies that have a good foot hold in its major markets, but a flattening demand for their new hardware, BAE is repositioning for being more of a services company (and then the recurring revenue base can better absorb the "blibs" - whether they are up or down):
"Mr Woodburn joined the world’s second-biggest defence business last year from oil services group Schlumberger with a brief to learn the industry"
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

BAE Systems Inc

Post by Defiance »

Figured a new thread seemed appropriate lest I be chastised for posting US/Inc material in the UK/Plc thread! (Or would an overall thread be more appropriate? . . . )

BAES Inc have acquired an electronics firm - IAP Research - as part of their move towards getting an operational railgun developed. IAP had previously been sub-contracted as part of this development work.

http://www.c4isrnet.com/articles/bae-sy ... -developer
“This acquisition enhances both IAP Research and BAE Systems’ capabilities for the Engineering and Manufacturing Development of the Electromagnetic Railgun," Erwin Bieber, BAE's president for platforms and services, said in a BAE news release. “We look forward to leveraging our combined workforces and long-standing strategic partnership to successfully develop and produce advanced weapon systems, such as the EMRG, and pursue other business opportunities that incorporate our innovative technologies and capabilities.”

Ohio-based IAP employs approximately 40 people and has been a BAE subcontractor on the railgun for more than 10 years.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

http://m.aviationweek.com/combat-aircra ... artnership

Can't see the full article, but this sounds interesting. Any chance something will actually cone from it? For the RAF?

mickey
United Kingdom

Post by mickey »

Hi Guys
I'm new here,
I'm sorry in advance for my ignorance
why don't we have a British designed, British built fighter aircraft
the Typhoon was or is an EU and British concept fighter
and the F-35 isnt worth the money and has the same problem as the Hawker jump jet had when fully loaded it cant lift off and has to use the ski ramp . . . plus i read that the F-35 is slower than the Russian equivalent
in the early days of aviation the aircraft was made of wood and fabric, now there made with fabric and resin not much has changed
what is happening on the engine side of the fighter, have they mastered the use of Hydrogen for a fuel system yet to make it more stealth ability's, hence stay aloft as it could generate its own fuel,
i heard Russia have a fighter that has a kettle, toilet and hammock, so much for the backward thinkers that Russia don't care about there service personal, where our pilots have to use a cafeter bag !

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

We don't design and build our own because we can't afford it. Typhoon is the closest thing we will get to that, loads of British design, a chunk of British manufacturing, and a bit of financial help along the way.

Why would they use hydrogen? It's horrible stuff to handle.
How does it then generate its own fuel? If you can do that you've just saved the planet!
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Depends on the uses; closer to us than the deep space it "Why would they use hydrogen? It's horrible stuff to handle." can be useful for extending the flight time of field launched surveillance drones (MMC in the following is the company that makes them):

"MMC hydrogen fuel cell “H1-Fuel Cell” is an evolutionary product that is designed to enable commercial drones for long endurance. H1- Fuel Cell allows professional drones to fly for 150 mins – dramatically enhancing their commercial potential for applications like firefighting, agriculture, power line stringing and inspection, construction and precision mapping. It is ideal for drones lifting heavy payloads with a maximum carrying capacity of 5 kg - See more at: http://www.mmcuav.com/product/hydrogen- ... M77Yy.dpuf"

The US Road Map for drones also (at least used to) emphasize(s) the combination of this kind of power source with the primary solar cells, for near-orbital surveillance and comms link craft (I hesitate to call them satellites).

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

mickey wrote: and the F-35 isnt worth the money and has the same problem as the Hawker jump jet had when fully loaded it cant lift off and has to use the ski ramp . . . plus i read that the F-35 is slower than the Russian equivalent
Where does this "it can't take off" stuff come from? I'm legitimately confused. If you're referring to VTOL, there has never been a VTOL fixed wing combat aircraft. It's STOVL. The F-35B has been designed to its payload with that in mind.

Russia has no equivalent to the F-35. If you mean the T-50, well that's a whole different doctrine of plane with its own enormous problems.

mickey
United Kingdom

Post by mickey »

Hydrogen is the safest form of fuel you can use, if you make it right and only mix it at the engine
Hydrogen is only explosive when mixed with Oxygen or air, so generating it as a single gas makes sense
plus it means the fight could go higher aloft as its making its own oxygen
if i remember right there was a British guy invented a jet engine, when maggie thatcher was prime minister that worked with minimum of air, but she didnt want to fund it, so i bet he went to america .

Have you ever heard of this GreenGlow Project ?
It was scraped by BEA systems, But it worked !
i think BEA systems are a sham company that sucks the secret project to america, and leaves Britain with nothing !
The reason i say there a sham company, not long after Britain started GGp, america started there own project with anti gravity, there engine looks the same but round where ours was square
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35861334

i for one would love to see a new aviation defence company start up in the UK that has nothing to do with other country

Right back to GG
If you only have one anti gravity engine, its like you walking across mud, so it doesn't really work, but if you have a plank of wood you can walk across the mud, so if you have multi engines across the underside of the vehicle it would lift it off the ground, the engine is just a simple microwave cell from the machine in your kitchen, but i can see an improvement to this design that would help even better to contain the field for more lift !

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Something feels a bit off here.