Trojan Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers (AVRE)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Trojan Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers (AVRE)

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

A thread for the Trojan AVRE.
Trojan is an armoured engineer vehicle designed to open routes through complex battlefield obstacles and clear a path through minefields.

Standard equipment includes a dozer blade, mine plough and an excavator arm.

A full-width mine plough can be mounted at the front to clear mines and a marking system can also be fitted. It can also carry fascines, to fill ditches, and tow a trailer-mounted, rocket-propelled, mine-clearing system.

Improved visibility is achieved by incorporating direct and indirect vision devices with low-light, image-intensifying and thermal imaging capabilities. The interior, and to some extent the exterior, of the vehicle has been designed around the crew station positions.

Trojan has the flexibility to support a wide range of operations, including humanitarian missions.

Weight: 62500kg
Maximum road speed: 59kph
Engine: Perkins CV12 diesel engine, David Brown TN54 enhanced low-loss gearbox and the OMANI cooling group. Auxiliary power unit is also fitted.
Crew: 3
Armament: 1 x 7.62mm machine gun, stowage for crewman-portable light anti-tank weapons, fitted with NBC protection system
Source: http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/23263.aspx

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Trojan Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers (AVRE)

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

A BAE Systems promotional video for Python, showing it in action. I just had to share it:

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

I remember being on exercise when the Engineers fired one. We all laid down and when it went off if bucked us all 6 inches off the ground. Absolutely hilarious!!!

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »