Introduction Thread

Site-related information.
Phil R
United Kingdom

Re: Introduction Thread

Post by Phil R »

Hi all,

Long time lurker on MP.net, but never felt like joining. However it seemed appropriate to join this forum at the beginning.
Looking forward to friendly debates and informed discussions over the coming years.

p.s. Many thanks to The Armchair Soldier and co for setting up this forum.

Phil R

Dossbag

Post by Dossbag »

Dossbag.

Ex Infantry, I like to keep up with current events. Long time lurker on MP.net, 250-odd posts in 6 years. :D

Redders

Post by Redders »

Hello gents, another former MP.net lurker/occasional poster and a bootneck. Generally a bit of a kit pest but I like to keep my ear to the ground over general defence related topics.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Hi all. Me from the old mp.net 'Queen Elizabeth Class Carrier' thread here again. :)
Had an idea to try to make this new forum more cosy and familiar. For those of you with no avatars who had one on mp.net, maybe we could all reuse the same avatars we had again? I think we all recognised each others avatars over the years. What do you think?

Avatars can be up to 250x250 pixels in size now too. My avatar you see to the left is about 100x100 pixels

Dave
United Kingdom

Post by Dave »

Another refugee who was a QE thread follower. Let's hope it's as successful here as it was there ;) .

CONNAUGHT RANGER

Post by CONNAUGHT RANGER »

Anglo-Irish, served over 21 years in the Irish military (1976-1997) as well as time with U.N.I.F.I.L. in South Lebanon.
Post military service, lived 6 years in Bavaria, Germany, 2003 moved too and got married here in Transylvania, Romania.
Also a former MP.net Forum contributor for a few years.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Afternoon, managed to navigate the randomised code thing on the registery page finally :D

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Was wondering what took you so long, mate. Welcome!

It's nice to see everyone else here, too. :)

algie1718

Post by algie1718 »

Was a long time follower and sometimes poster on MP.net under another alias. Glad there's a UK-centric board with a few familiar faces. Avid follower of the UK military and always curious and willing to learn.

QuaPatetOrbis

Post by QuaPatetOrbis »

Dforce wrote:
QuaPatetOrbis wrote:Kevin from the South but living in California. Been all over Europe. Huge interest in film, biking, history and military matters. Big fan of the PL with Liverpool in particular.
Poor sod.

Anyways, my name is Dan, I am a Swedish national with a more pro-British leaning then then the most of you lot combined. And a Chelsea fan since I learned English in pre-90.
pro-British leaning :o I myself stand upright, but that's just me

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

C'mon guys. Don't just come here and look/lurk. If you know of something newsworthy, have a superior knowledge of a certain topic, or have a have an opinion of something, please contribute!
;)

Ancient Hush Puppy

Post by Ancient Hush Puppy »

Station X now on air and receiving. Ancient Hush Puppy here, evicted from Think Defence site. Took the Queen's Shilling for 24 years and have concerns for the future of HM Forces and the British Army in particular, not from the actions of an aggressor state but by UK politicians of all hues.

Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

Hi all,

Tony Williams here - found my way over from the Think Defence blog. Generally interested in military equipment issues, particularly in small arms, automatic cannon and their ammunition (from the start of the 20th century to the present day).

Mike

Post by Mike »

Another TD bloke,

A Kevin currently holed up in a HQ post and bored :)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Hi all just like to introduce myself, Interested in all things military related, have served in HM Forces back in the days when defence mattered and a good deal of money was available for personnel and kit.

Partisan

Post by Partisan »

Partisan by name & nature. Interested in all things military, particularly how we apply military force in the implementation of Foreign Policy. Always picking up snippets of knowledge and willing to have a good debate. Done some time in the Army and am very cynical about the motivations of politicians and the higher command.
Busy doing nothing, why can't I be paid like a politician?

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Retired USN Captain and adjunct university professor. Extensive experience working with "Anglosphere" forces. The last five years of my 25 year career were spent in counter-terror planning and analysis on the Joint level. My interests are too many to mention. Guns and guitars are near the top of the list. Currently doing research for a book I'd like to write about all of the great session musicians that make all of the "stars" sound better than they are.
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . ."

Welshman

Post by Welshman »

Hi,welshman from MP.net,hope this site takes off well.

Ninetyfifth
United Kingdom

Post by Ninetyfifth »

New boy here. Am an ex British Army Infantry guy with quite a lot of service and a fairly wide span of experience. My username contains some clues to my background. Nice to see the forum up and growing.

lordroel
Netherlands

Post by lordroel »

Hello everybody.

I was a longtime lurker on MP.net from the Netherlands who is interested in everything related to the British armed forces.

Darned Consultant

Post by Darned Consultant »

Hi folks...

Erm, from the UK, refugee from A&AEE (as it was) Boscombe Down (back when the government tested and evaluated things independently), lots of experience in military aviation safety (glances at CV, says here more than 25 years - gosh!). Escaped to civilian defence contractor status many many moons ago, main interests are military aviation safety. Interested in most things aviation and military. I enjoy the odd book or three, like the odd match on World of Tanks, and am working towards grumpy old git status. :D :D

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ahh, only now spotted this thread. Brought my call sign over from TD. Got involved there when the previous SDSR looked like a fantastic way of wasting money (and capability), rather than actually making savings.

Ex Marine recce (hasten to say, a long time ago and not USMC) and thereby interested in anything that is either stealthy or fast moving, while also hard hitting.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Coyote850

Post by Coyote850 »

Greetings to my UK cousins. I am a military history nut (as well as modern stuff) I'm from the US, Ohio specifically. 46 years old, factory worker. My main interest has always been WW2, but I love keeping up with all the modern weapons and capabilities.
Also a member of the Star Wars fan group the 501st Legion, good to see there is a Star Wars thread in here. ;)