AW159 Wildcat Helicopter (RN & AAC)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: AW159 Wildcat Helicopter (RN & AAC)

Post by mrclark303 »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 17:04
mrclark303 wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 14:14
dmereifield wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 12:12 Shame, was hoping it was a larger order
I'm afraid not, the lingering death of Wildcat keeps grinding excruciatingly onwards....
You sound disapointed. It is if you think it is a shame that another country did not see the light (in your view) of buying expensive US alternative imports.....

I for one am glad that British based employees get to work even if it is just another 24 helicopters, and thereby keep their skills fresh and up to date. We have underinvested in our UK based Defence industry in general for years, allowing too many companies to be purchased by foriegn competitors, and often for the British factories being closed and the work shifted to overseas, cheaper workforce.

The combination of Covid and the Russian invasion of Ukraine has shown the importance of having local, secure, resilient supply chains, and not relying on cheaper overseas production, :arrow: over which we have no control. So for me every bit of British based Defence production is a small step in the right direction.
Nope, not my point at all, simply put, Wildcat was ill devised, designed, developed and procured at huge expense, with almost zero chance of foreign exports.

The RN would have been perfectly happy with new updated Lynx.

the Army couldn't have new Lynx because it lacks the crash worthy seats and installing them in Wildcat rendered it capable of carrying less people than my old 110 Defender!

It carries no scouting specific avionics, no pylon mounted weapons, It's quite frankly about as useful to the Army as Chocolate teapot....

It stands as a glowing example of absolutely piss poor UK procument policy and a good example of how we spend 50 odd billion a year, yet have sod all to show for it...

I don't have an issue with UK based procument, I do have a 'massive' issue with purely politically driven vanity projects that utterly waste tax payers money, as we all should....

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

mrclark303 wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 19:14
I'm afraid not, the lingering death of Wildcat keeps grinding excruciatingly onwards....
You sound disapointed. It is if you think it is a shame that another country did not see the light (in your view) of buying expensive US alternative imports.....

I for one am glad that British based employees get to work even if it is just another 24 helicopters, and thereby keep their skills fresh and up to date. We have underinvested in our UK based Defence industry in general for years, allowing too many companies to be purchased by foriegn competitors, and often for the British factories being closed and the work shifted to overseas, cheaper workforce.

The combination of Covid and the Russian invasion of Ukraine has shown the importance of having local, secure, resilient supply chains, and not relying on cheaper overseas production, :arrow: over which we have no control. So for me every bit of British based Defence production is a small step in the right direction.
Nope, not my point at all, simply put, Wildcat was ill devised, designed, developed and procured at huge expense, with almost zero chance of foreign exports.

the Army couldn't have new Lynx because it lacks the crash worthy seats and installing them in Wildcat rendered it capable of carrying less people than my old 110 Defender!

It carries no scouting specific avionics, no pylon mounted weapons, It's quite frankly about as useful to the Army as Chocolate teapot....

It stands as a glowing example of absolutely piss poor UK procument policy and a good example of how we spend 50 odd billion a year, yet have sod all to show for it...

I don't have an issue with UK based procument, I do have a 'massive' issue with purely politically driven vanity projects that utterly waste tax payers money, as we all should....
Then why on earth are you so bitter about AMOTHER country buying 24 nw Wildcats!!

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 19:26

Then why on earth are you so bitter about AMOTHER country buying 24 nw Wildcats!!
So, who is buying 24??

I can't find any reference for that? Even if it was true, it would push total orders to a rather pathetic 104.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Not sure where 24 came from, but this is from the Leonardo thread...
If these are successfully concluded, the volumes under discussion would lead to a “double-digit backlog” for the Wildcat, said Clarke, speaking at an event in Yeovil on 22 August
A Wildcat sized Naval asset was never going to set the sales world on fire... But then, NH90 was the right size, sold shed loads and look how that turned out.

(I think I have a good idea what comes next)
These users liked the author Little J for the post (total 2):
serge750new guy

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

It is somewhat puzzling that the AAC does not seem to see any benefit in acquiring the RN's pylons and Martlet. Obviously, money is tight but it would presumably be a fairly cheap acquisition. Maybe they are concerned that doing that could be cited to reduce the Apache buy?
These users liked the author Phil Sayers for the post:
mrclark303

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

Phil Sayers wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 16:01

It is somewhat puzzling that the AAC does not seem to see any benefit in acquiring the RN's pylons and Martlet. Obviously, money is tight but it would presumably be a fairly cheap acquisition. Maybe they are concerned that doing that could be cited to reduce the Apache buy?
apache has been bought...
Just saying, no excuses.

Being reasonable however, it would make sense for it to not be at the top of their list.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Another example of the importance of concentrating on the basis first. The scale of the waste must be breathtaking.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... -wildcats/

https://www.nao.org.uk/reports/defence- ... anagement/

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces News) 3rd October 2023
Wildcat is the latest generation of multi-role helicopters specifically procured to operate from the frigates and destroyers of the Royal Navy.

Forces News was given a tour of the helicopter embarked on Type 23 frigate HMS Iron Duke.
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
serge750

Ian Hall
United Kingdom

Post by Ian Hall »

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... s-in-focus

Navy Wildcats gunning for their true potential in 2024
New weaponry and tech will help the Royal Navy's fleet of Wildcat maritime attack helicopters reach their true potential in 2024 after nearly ten years of front-line operations.
These users liked the author Ian Hall for the post (total 3):
Anthony58Ron5The Armchair Soldier

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Yeay!! Link 16.

Originally deleted from Wildcat build contract to save money. Let's hear it for the Treasury, so much better to pay more later than spend today.
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post (total 3):
tomukabc123zanahoria

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

If this means that the AAC Wildcats will now be receiving sufficient information to locate and target enemy vehicles from a variety of sources dotted around the battlefield, it makes it even more of a no-brainer to acquire the RN's pylons and Martlet / APKWS.
These users liked the author Phil Sayers for the post:
Ron5

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Perhaps they should have all been built to the same standard!!!

Ian Hall
United Kingdom

Post by Ian Hall »

These users liked the author Ian Hall for the post:
Jackstar

CSGenjoyer25
United Kingdom

Post by CSGenjoyer25 »

These users liked the author CSGenjoyer25 for the post (total 3):
The Armchair Soldierserge750Jackstar

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

These users liked the author donald_of_tokyo for the post (total 5):
Ron5serge750zanahoriaAnthony58Jensy

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces News) 23rd April 2024
815 Naval Air Squadron (NAS) is the home of the Wildcat – the Royal Navy's latest generation maritime attack helicopter. Forces News takes a closer look at the Royal Navy unit and their role.
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
Ron5