Conservative party

For discussions on politics and current events.
marktigger
United Kingdom

Conservative party

Post by marktigger »

I wonder what will happen internally in the Tory party after the Referendum. I suspect Cameron was trying through the referendum to lance the boil and unify the party. However looking at the Campaign so far its all goten a little personal for that. Will they implode over the summer, will there be a unity reshuffle, will their be a putsch against the leadership. Will there be a night of the long knives against the Eurosceptic's. Will the result be accepted/contested will there be calls of foul play and rigging like there was in the scottish referendum.
I suspect the summer recess will allow allot of the heat to go out of the debate but the party conference will be interesting.

SKB
England

Re: Conservative party

Post by SKB »

I don't see Cameron quitting if we choose to leave. He is likely to remain PM until a new leader is chosen to stand for the 2020 General Election. Cameron said he only wants to be PM until 2020 anyway.

(24th June) EDIT: What a coward, he quitted!

marktigger
United Kingdom

Re: Post Referendum Conservative party

Post by marktigger »

i don't see him going till 2020 but I could see him being removed as leader post referendum to try and heal the party to start the run for the 2020 election.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

If we choose to leave he'll have to resign the day after, just as he would have had to (and intended to) if Scotland had voted for independence.

Should the UK vote the UK remain in the EU there'd be good reasons for him to announce when he would leave and get the leadership election going, namely that it would allow him to go out on a high, it would blunt a lot of the internal vitriol about his handling of the referendum and due to the aforementioned vitriol he'd likely have a lot more difficulty reuniting the party than someone else would.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Official: David Cameron to resign as Prime Minister before Tory Party Conference in October.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

New Tory Leader contest announced.

BBC: The Conservative Party's 1922 Committee have announced nominations for the position of Party Leader will open on Wednesday 29th June, with the eventual winner taking office as the new Prime Minister on 2nd September 2016.

The annual Conservative Party Conference will then take place at the Birmingham ICC between 2nd - 5th October 2016.

A new "Brexit Unit" has also been formed to lead "intensive work on the issues that will need to be worked through in order to present options and advice to a new Prime Minister and a new Cabinet"

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

So, who's going to beat Boris?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Thresa May and others

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

BBC: Boris Johnson announces there will be no early General Election called if he is next next Party Leader and PM.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB wrote:the eventual winner taking office as the new Prime Minister on 2nd September 2016.
The date has now been changed to 9th September.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Hasn't Boris already said that we should negotiate a trade deal like Norway and accept the free movement of workers. Not so sure about him to be honest.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Accept the free movement of workers, that fine as long as we can restrict their access to welfare for the first couple of years.
@LandSharkUK

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Gove has announced he will take part in the leadership race, after all. Boris subsequently announced his withdrawal.

So far, the candidates are:

Stephen Crabb
Liam Fox
Michael Gove
Andrea Leadsom
Theresa May

JayDee
United Kingdom

Post by JayDee »

Time for a new poll?

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

Of the candidates, who would be best for defence?
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Theresa May (Voted REMAIN)
Theresa had a varied education spanning both the state and private sectors, and she read Geography at Oxford University. She started her career at the Bank of England and went on to hold posts at the Association for Payment Clearing Services (APACS).

Theresa has been involved in politics for many years, starting out stuffing envelopes at her local Conservative association before serving as a councillor in the London Borough of Merton from 1986 to 1994.

Theresa was elected MP for Maidenhead in 1997. She lives in the constituency and is an active local campaigner. Her campaigns include improving local train services, safeguarding services at St Marks Hospital, and rejuvenating Maidenhead town centre.

Theresa was appointed Home Secretary in May 2010. She is leading the Government’s work to free up the police to fight crime more effectively, secure the borders and reduce immigration, and protect the UK from terrorism. She was also Minister for Women & Equalities from 2010 to 2012.

Stephen Crabb (Voted REMAIN)
Stephen has been MP for his home constituency of Preseli Pembrokeshire since 2005. In 2009 he was appointed to the Conservative frontbench as Opposition Whip and in 2010 he became Assistant Government Whip in the Coalition Government.

In 2012 he was appointed as a Lord Commissioner of HM Treasury and Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Wales Office, and in 2014 he became Secretary of State for Wales. Stephen works closely with industry in Wales on a wide range of issues affecting business competitiveness including energy costs, transport investment and digital infrastructure. He also leads on welfare reform and is passionate about seeing new and better jobs come to Wales.

Stephen takes a strong interest in international development and believes firmly in the importance of UK aid. From 2010 to 2012 he led Project Umubano, the Conservative Party’s social action project in Rwanda and Sierra Leone. Stephen is Vice-Captain of the parliamentary rugby club. He is married to Béatrice and they have two young children.

Dr Liam Fox (Voted LEAVE)
Liam was born and raised in East Kilbride, Scotland. He attended the local comprehensive school, St. Bride’s High School, and then went on to study medicine at the University of Glasgow.

He became president of the University’s Conservative and Unionist Association, and in his spare time took a keen interest in debating, a discipline in which he won national and international prizes and which proved invaluable in preparing him for a life in politics.

As well as his career in the NHS, Liam worked as a Civilian Army Medical Officer, which enabled him to see army life at first-hand. His time there has instilled in him a belief that the Government has a responsibility to look after the Armed Forces and their families.

Liam is a member of the Royal College of General Practitioners, and worked as a GP in Buckinghamshire and Somerset before becoming a Conservative MP in 1992.

Andrea Leadsom (Voted LEAVE)
Andrea Leadsom is the Conservative Member of Parliament for South Northamptonshire, a post to which she was elected in 2010 following a 25-year career in the financial sector and 10 years working as a Charity Trustee of OXPIP, the Oxford Parent Infant Project.

In Parliament and beyond, Andrea campaigns on her three major areas of interest: reform of the European Union through her work as co-founder of the Fresh Start Project; reform of the banking system, as a Member of the Treasury Select Committee, particularly with regard to increasing competition and removing barriers to entry; and establishing a national network of parent-infant psychotherapeutic support services for families and their newborn babies through her new charity, PIP UK, and the 1001 Critical Days campaign, a cross party initiative to re-think how statutory services support new families.

In April 2014, Andrea was appointed Economic Secretary to the Treasury. In May 2015, she became the Minister of State at the Department of Energy and Climate Change.

Michael Gove (Voted LEAVE)
Michael was born in Edinburgh in 1967 and brought up in Aberdeen. He is married to Sarah Vine, a columnist at the Daily Mail, and they have two children. He has been a journalist since university, working for local and national newspapers, radio and TV, and his book, Celsius 7/7, was released in 2006 to much critical acclaim. Michael is a former Chairman of Policy Exchange, a centre-right think-tank which has come up with innovative policies on policing, local government and fighting terrorism.

Michael was first elected as MP for Surrey Heath in May 2005, and is an active campaigner, having run vital projects to protect the local environment, and improve public transport. Following the 2010 General Election, he was appointed as Secretary of State for Education, and is passionately committed to raising standards in schools and helping children from less privileged backgrounds to maximise their potential. In July 2014 Michael was appointed Chief Whip, and in 2015 became Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

yeap it'll be May or Gove I suspect

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

WhitestElephant wrote:Of the candidates, who would be best for defence?
Liam Fox I guess because he was once Defence Secretary, he took the blame for the treasury cuts to defence and there was a bit of a do about his adviser which caused his resignation. But also in his speech yesterday he mentioned the need for strong defences. But I think he is an outsider to Mr Gove or Mrs May.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

So Boris leaving the leadership race could be termed a 'Boxit' ?! ;)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

looks like the Anyone but Boris campagaing has now become the Anyone But Michael campaign

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I don't trust Michael Gove. His ruthless backstabbing and links to Rupert Murdoch are big negatives. He lacks charisma, wit and charm too. Reminds me of a bank manager, not a Prime Minister.

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

marktigger wrote:looks like the Anyone but Boris campagaing has now become the Anyone But Michael campaign
A campaign we should all get behind, he is a vile little cretin of a man. While it may be safe to say that as pro-defence folk we are probably a bit more right wing then the average person someone a hell of a lot more moderate then Gove is needed to calm the fires in the UK at the moment and be a leader through uncertain times.

I never thought I would say this but... I kind of wish Cameron hadn't stepped down. Mostly moderate and experienced in the role but hey-ho.

On the bright side there's no risk of that prat Boris getting in, siding leave then hiding away like a coward when he 'won', although from his demeanour at the press conference he looked more like someone who has just been given months to live.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I like Boris and sorry to hear he has stepped down. He should not have given in to the back stabbing that is going on.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Britain is safe with me, says Liam Fox as he pledges to boost defence spending if he becomes the next Prime Minister
[...]If he wins the leadership election, a Fox administration will shake up Whitehall, creating a new department for trade and foreign affairs, which will ultimately include international aid as well.

Welfare is likely to be in line for cuts in Dr Fox’s budget, if he wins, but defence will receive a big boost as the economy grows in the years ahead.

“We need to spend money on our national security because you need to buy insurance in a dangerous world,” he says. “I would want to see an increase in defence spending as we saw an increase in our economy. For me that would be a priority.

“In particularly I would like to see an increase in the size of the Navy and our cyber capability.”
Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... -to-boost/

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

Liam Fox for PM!

(2nd option - Andrea Leadsom)
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)