Conservative party

For discussions on politics and current events.
zanahoria
United Kingdom

Re: Conservative party

Post by zanahoria »

Without any section of the media holding them to account, they may behave as they please. Unfortunately.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

And I was wondering why defence leaks appear in the The Sun :lol:
"Downing Street Director of Communications James Slack is to leave his role to become deputy Editor-in- Chief at the Sun."
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Not sure if this was intended as parody in the Waugh Zone of today (I have reversed the order of the quotes), but:

"We’ll try and let people know by the end of the month about exactly where we think we’ll be on June 21, step four."
– Prime minister Boris Johnson."

and:

Will look more like musical chairs
"Gavin Williamson meanwhile is almost certain to be moved from his education secretary job following the exams fiasco and other mis-steps.

But Johnson is still said to be “pretty loyal to Gavin” due to the key role he played in his Tory leadership campaign and has been telling people inside No.10 that “Gavin is not leaving Cabinet”.

More women, of course (may be T. May?): Tory figures mention new MPs Laura Trott, Clare Coutinho and Saqib Bhatti as “the shining stars” of the 2019 intake who could be brought on the payroll [ =make them loyal]

To round it all off, is there some inside knowledge here about what's coming with the Traffic Lights System review:
"“If you do it at the beginning of holidays then you send everyone away and they’ve got the chance to feel better in Tuscany don’t they?’ one MP says.
“I don’t get why you'd do it before the end of July, I can't see an incentive.

- if there is no insider knowledge here, then it is rather proof of being out of touch, no?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:More women, of course (may be T. May?)
I suspect that the only reason he'd ask May to serve in his cabinet is if he wanted someone to spit in his face. :lol:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

A re-meet at the Chequers :lol:
- the ministerial cars parked at (the far away) gate 8-)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Today's serving of crusty conspiracy theories, in The Telegraph:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... =DM1432027

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

D Cummings and the headline of the above linked article: Coup or conspiracy

after an "attempt at self-effacement. In the next breath he expressed frustration that he wasn’t running the country instead of the elected PM, saying he tried to “create a structure around him" ["]
- I really don't want to be spreading anything else that he said

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Boris Johnson has reportedly just married Carrie Symonds!
https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnso ... s-12320317

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

But will she make an honest man out of him?
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Who footed the bill, he is still paying for the wallpaper.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Comms directors are one above (on the rungs, from campaigners) as they know that things will 'come around'... there is no 'freeze point' where to Pop The Champagne, re:
Caribbean wrote:But will she make an honest man out of him?

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/ ... ski-mp.pdf

A complete and absolute oaf.

Once tried intimidating me. And I wasn't having any of it which made him really, really angry and very, very loud.

Accused me of lying to him, which I hadn't; accused me of laughing at him, and by that point I possibly was.

Nauseatingly unpleasant and thick as mince.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Well, Brexit brought to the fore all kinds of 'shooting stars' (no intellect required)
- they will also (name exceptions 8-) ) meet the definition of a shooting star: fade out quickly
These users liked the author ArmChairCivvy for the post:
zanahoria

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Rishi vs. Liz hotting up: who can leak the most (and steal the limelight)?

Torygraph, more particularly telegraphfrontbench:
"not everyone was thrilled to find this week’s plans splashed all over the weekend papers before MPs had seen them. Dame Eleanor Laing, the Deputy Speaker and Parliament's chairman of ways and means, tells me ministers may have broken the ministerial code.

"It is disappointing, to say the least, that the Treasury ministers have made announcements outside of Parliament and well in advance of the Chancellor's Budget on Wednesday.

"Members of Parliament have to be given the opportunity to hold the Government to account. That is the job to be done on behalf of constituents by members of Parliament, not by journalists."

Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker, says he was furious to see the Treasury had floated its main announcements in the press, questioning whether there is any point in having a formal Budget when most of the detail has already been announced.

"It's not that long ago that people were sacked for breaking confidence, so it's quite right that the chairman of ways and means has spoken out on this," he said.

A frustrated Government insider described the briefing this weekend as “ridiculous,” and the Treasury as a “law unto itself”.["]

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Boris Johnson has survived a vote of confidence by the Conservative 1922 Committee

Confident: 211
Not Confident: 148
Majority: 63

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

SKB wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 21:06 Boris Johnson has survived a vote of confidence by the Conservative 1922 Committee

Confident: 211
Not Confident: 148
Majority: 63
It might be the kick in the ass to tell him to pull is effing head in before he has to go to an election 2025
These users liked the author R686 for the post (total 2):
jedibeeftrixArmChairCivvy

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

A surprise to everyone: I actually like Boris!

But serial lies cannot be a substitute to policy/ policies.
- though, in his speech (setting out 'legacy') there were things that others, most likely, would not have had the balls to dictate... start with the extra £24 bn
These users liked the author ArmChairCivvy for the post:
wargame_insomniac

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 15:40 A surprise to everyone: I actually like Boris!

- though, in his speech (setting out 'legacy') there were things that others, most likely, would not have had the balls to dictate... start with the extra £24 bn
Indeed that is a surprise. He is not a details man and couldn't keep ontop of the brief once he lost Cummings.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 15:40 A surprise to everyone: I actually like Boris!

But that is the problem boris he’s great at story telling you’d want to go to the pub and listen to him, he’s the party focal a celebrity.

he tells you exactly what u want to hear, and then tells the next person exactly what they want to hear even if it’s contradicting what he told u and then doesn’t remember who he told what to.

At the end of the day he’s brought this all on himself, he has been the master of his own downfall.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
zanahoria

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Only doing what all L** D**s do then! They even have the conceit to think that they are above criticism. :lol:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

dmereifield wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 16:12 Indeed that is a surprise. He is not a details man and couldn't keep ontop of the brief once he lost Cummings
That's what I have done for a living @£ 3k a day
... helping guys who have got to the top as visionaries... to actually deliver (with a little bit of detail sprinkled in)

The problem with those two was that they were both 'visionaries' - and money could not settle the 'thing'.
SW1 wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 16:53 great at story telling you’d want to go to the pub and listen to him
Those would have been exactly my words... for a description. I hope nothing bad happens if the "process" crushes him; what is a 'process'?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SW1 wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 16:53 he tells you exactly what u want to hear, and then tells the next person exactly what they want to hear even if it’s contradicting what he told u and then doesn’t remember who he told what to.
Are you talking about the NI Protocol, by any :D chance

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

I'm gonna become a conservative party member as an American and have 500 times more voting power than the average bloke in the UK will in choosing the next PM.
These users liked the author sunstersun for the post (total 2):
ArmChairCivvyzanahoria

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I, though, couldn't be bovvered.

The country has been thrashed. Anyone from here, to 2024, will be - as well.

BoJo 2nd Cabinet from there on? Though someone said Keir Starmer should be smiling more... as NOW he has no more excuses!

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

sunstersun wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 18:45 I'm gonna become a conservative party member as an American and have 500 times more voting power than the average bloke in the UK will in choosing the next PM.
How many of said "average bloke in the UK" got to vote for Gordon Brown to become PM?
The point is that it has happened for both major political parties in 21st Century.....