UK DEFENCE MEMBERS OWN PICTURE THREAD

For everything that doesn't fit elsewhere; literature, movies, video games - whatever you desire.
CONNAUGHT RANGER

UK DEFENCE MEMBERS OWN PICTURE THREAD

Post by CONNAUGHT RANGER »

Gents, this thread for your own pics, remember OPSEC applicable, if the subject matter can be seen as not conforming to your own countries regulations with regards such subject matter, blur, photo-shop faces, insignia, etc.. etc.. if and when applicable.

Just after landing at Beirut Airport, Lebanon on Chalk 3 from Ireland, October 1979, with C. Coy, 46th IRISHBATT,
I am the ginger kid, the Corporal next to me is John Scrumpy O`Neill.

Connaught Ranger.

CONNAUGHT RANGER

Re: UK DEFENCE MEMBERS OWN PICTURE THREAD

Bhytoun Vehicle Checkpoint, South Lebanon, Private "16" McManus left and me on the right, "16" is armed with the F.N. 7.62mm SLR I am carrying the Swedish 9mm Gustaf sub-machine gun (as a regimental signaler, the Battalion CO thought this a better choice of a weapon for R.S. operators. Later post Battle of At-Tiri I got the FN.

Connaught Ranger.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

I can't tell.. are those shades courtesy of Photoshop or are they real? :mrgreen:

Love the photos, guys. Please keep 'em coming.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-

Happyslapper

Post by Happyslapper »

Getting on one of the last (of thousands) of Strat flights out of Bastion a few months ago. I think it was less than a week later BSN was off limits to Voyagers and such.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is upon the Navy under the good Providence of God that the safety, honour and welfare of this realm do chiefly depend

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

arfah wrote:[attachment=0]GEEZER1.jpg[/attachment]

Southern Iraq 5th September 2003. 04:45HRS

I'm the one slightly to the left of centre as you look at it.
Pockets are not for hands. FFS.

The lack of hero sleeves is also disappointing.

CONNAUGHT RANGER

Another picture from my time in South Lebanon with U.N.I.F.I.L.

Writing to a pen-pal in Finland from the Accommodation tent at Bhytoun Checkpoint in 1979.
Snail mail was the main means of contact with home and other locations, no chance of a phone call.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

I had a similar sound system as that once!

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Captain Michael M. Eagen, USN. July 1, 2003; the day I retired.

BTW Ranger, I now hold an Irish passport "by descent" (my mother was born in Cork in 1918). I may be dropping in on ya'll as I hope to lease a property in Cork in the next couple of years, so I can meet the many cousins I have there (along with my father's side in Tipperary), as well as travel the EU at my leisure without having to worry about visas and all that crap. See, in 25 years of active duty, I deployed mostly to the Far East and the Gulf, except when I had my own command and deployed to the Caribbean (there are worse sentences to serve in that regard ;) ), so I feel deprived. I plan to make up for lost time. :D
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . ."

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

arfah wrote:
Arfah Sep07.jpg
Kabul - September 2007.
You know what's funny is that I only wore web gear and carried weapons (in my case a tactical 12 gauge shotgun and my trusty Colt Model 1911A in .45 cal) when doing visit, board, search, and seizure ops in the Gulf. Now that I'm retired I own more than one assault rifle, handgun, tactical shotgun, sniper rifle and the associated web gear. Why? Because I can.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

arfah wrote:Desertswo: It's a long way to Tipperary.
So they tell me!

CONNAUGHT RANGER

@ desertstwo :- I am located in Transylvania nowadays, last time I went back to Ireland was 2008

to celebrate my 50th birthday with my twin brother and my other 5 brothers, first time we had all been together in years. :D

My twin served over 21 years in the same battalion as I, one brother was briefly in the Irish Navy, but left because of all the

time on shore, all the others spent time in the Irish Reserve Defence Forces with either Infantry or Cavalry units (now gone in

the reorganization of the Irish Defence Forces in the last 5 years.)

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

CONNAUGHT RANGER wrote:@ desertstwo :- I am located in Transylvania nowadays, last time I went back to Ireland was 2008

to celebrate my 50th birthday with my twin brother and my other 5 brothers, first time we had all been together in years. :D

My twin served over 21 years in the same battalion as I, one brother was briefly in the Irish Navy, but left because of all the

time on shore, all the others spent time in the Irish Reserve Defence Forces with either Infantry or Cavalry units (now gone in

the reorganization of the Irish Defence Forces in the last 5 years.)
May I ask what's in Transylvania besides vampires?

All joking aside, there is a very large and vibrant Romanian community here in Phoenix. I had many of their children as students when I was teaching high school so I got to know them and their parents very well. The boys took to American football with reckless abandon!