Type 23 Frigate (Duke Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Gabriele
Italy

Re: Type 23 Frigate (Duke Class) (RN)

Post by Gabriele »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:RE "CAMM missiles will be fitted in the existing VL Seawolf silo (one canister per cell for a maximum of 32 missiles)."

On the T26s this restriction will not apply. Someone (forget who) made the point that in the new silos cold launch might not apply anymore? (cold launch giving much increased freedom in locating Seaceptors on the vessel, not requiring as big a clear area than otherwise - thereby making them applicable to smaller vessel designs as well... with exports, not so much the RN in mind).

I'm not sure Jane's has it right here. I'm sticking with the MBDA video and its CAMM arrangement until there is an actual proof that things have changed.
Jane's doesn't always get it exactly right: a page or so earlier, for example, it says there are 58 Wildcat on order, but they are 62.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

That's the famous AH version: 4 added, 4 diverted from the original order (62-58 = 4)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:That's the famous AH version: 4 added, 4 diverted from the original order (62-58 = 4)
Had it gone ahead, it would have meant growing the order to 66 helicopters, actually. 30 Battlefield Recce, 8 Light Assault Helicopter (4 additional, 4 converted from the recce order, and 28 for the Navy).

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Post by sea_eagle »

Gabriele wrote:Only 12 sets are being purchased. Guess they are leaving out of the upgrade the first ship due to be replaced by Type 26. Rolls Royce will supply exactly 48 MTU 12V 4000 M53B gensets, each capable of 1,650 kW.
The oldest T23 is HMS Argyll 1991 and newest HMS St Albans 2002. If this is the first diesel refit it means the engines are 24 years-13 years old. So will some of these new engines be reused for the T26 class or will they have different diesel engines?

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Post by sea_eagle »

Tiny Toy wrote:
sea_eagle wrote:Despite all of the planned upgrades for the T23 I haven't heard of any suggestion to fit a Close-in-weapon-system (CIWS) which is the Phalanx CIWS. Is this a cost issue or a space limitation on the T23?
It's neither, it's a structural limitation, probably topweight although this has not been confirmed.
I am wondering since the older Seawolf 910 radar weighed 10 tons each and the newer 911 is 5 tons. The Phalanx weighs about 6 tons and if fitted would be lower down than the radar sets. New sets have to be ordered for the T26 as there aren't enough available now. Seems to be the on thing the T23 is lacking for operations in the Gulf and other hot areas.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

sea_eagle wrote:I am wondering since the older Seawolf 910 radar weighed 10 tons each and the newer 911 is 5 tons. The Phalanx weighs about 6 tons and if fitted would be lower down than the radar sets. New sets have to be ordered for the T26 as there aren't enough available now. Seems to be the on thing the T23 is lacking for operations in the Gulf and other hot areas.
10, 5, zero... as the Seaceptor will be active guidance, only taking the general cue from the ship's bigger radars as to where to be directed, before the active guidance locks in.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
sea_eagle wrote:I am wondering since the older Seawolf 910 radar weighed 10 tons each and the newer 911 is 5 tons. The Phalanx weighs about 6 tons and if fitted would be lower down than the radar sets. New sets have to be ordered for the T26 as there aren't enough available now. Seems to be the on thing the T23 is lacking for operations in the Gulf and other hot areas.
10, 5, zero... as the Seaceptor will be active guidance, only taking the general cue from the ship's bigger radars as to where to be directed, before the active guidance locks in.
He knows that. He's speculating that the lack of requirement for a director frees up enough top weight to allow for a Phalanx fit. Be useful for defending against small boat attacks.
Last edited by The Armchair Soldier on 20 Sep 2015, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the double quote

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Post by sea_eagle »

Ron5 wrote:
ArmChairCivvy wrote:
sea_eagle wrote:I am wondering since the older Seawolf 910 radar weighed 10 tons

He knows that. He's speculating that the lack of requirement for a director frees up enough top weight to allow for a Phalanx fit. Be useful for defending against small boat attacks.
Was hoping for some comments if not an answer! Since the upgrade T23 are going to remain in service for another 15 years and all other capital ships (T45, Albion/Bulwark+RFA and the future QEC and T26) are equipped with a CIWS surely this is an omission for the T23?

Since the T26 is planned to have Phalanx would't it make sense to buy some additional sets and fit as needed onto the T23? I assumed top weight is not an issue with the removal of the 910/911 radar so is there a suitable location to put them?

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

Good news , it seems the green light as been given for the first fitting out of sea ceptor on a RN Type 23 (HMS Argyll , who is currently in a mid life upgrade/life extention program LIFEX till 2017 ), not sure when the actual instulation will begin but good news none the less .

http://www.janes.com/article/54736/gree ... ceptor-fit

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Type 23 Frigate HMS Westminster is floating again, after an 11-month long refit in Portsmouth.
More: http://forces.tv/45939638

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I hope five of these T23's can last until 2030 when the five "Light Frigates" finally arrive. I think we're going to need them. ;)

Dave
United Kingdom

Post by Dave »

SKB wrote:I hope five of these T23's can last until 2030 when the five "Light Frigates" finally arrive.
I'm sure I've read the final OOS date is mid-2030's (HMS St Albans?)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

The last was expected to go not before 2036.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

A small fire broke out today onboard T23 HMS Argyll which is undergoing a refit in Devonport. Local fire brigade was called in as a precaution.
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymout ... story.html

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

T23 frigate HMS St.Albans leaves Portsmouth for a nine month long deployment to the Middle East.
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defenc ... -1-7091497

arfah
Niue

Re: Type 23 Frigate (Duke Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Mediterranean: HMS St Albans seizes 320kg (705lbs) of cannabis worth £1m. Last week, HMS Richmond had seized 1015kg (2237lbs) of cannabis worth £3m.
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/ ... -1-7109457

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Weed? yeah that's not a total waste of time.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

HMS Somerset returned home to Plymouth on Friday in time for Christmas after a short but action-packed deployment to the Mediterranean.
More: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/HMS-Som ... z3u5jdU4IQ

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

Ron5 wrote:Weed? yeah that's not a total waste of time.

And considering how quickly it is getting legalised it might not have been going anywhere illegal.

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

HMS Iron Duke is leaving Portsmouth on Monday for a six-month deployment to northern Europe.
The Type 23 frigate will work with a multinational Nato task group, taking part in exercises and operations.

The 180-strong ship’s company will be permanently available to Nato a range of tasks and diplomatic visits to countries in the region.
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defenc ... -1-7151557

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

T23 Trivia Time! - HMS Lancaster

By coincidence, in RN parlance, a "232 form" is the Royal Navy report form for groundings and collisions and therefore 232 is considered unlucky. Originally, type 23 frigate HMS Lancaster was given the pennant number F232, but after realising the unlucky coincidence, HMS Lancaster's pennant number was quickly changed to F229, one before the first of class F230, HMS Norfolk.

HMS Lancaster also has a Royal connection, she is named after, unsurprisingly, the Duke Of Lancaster - who just happens to be The Queen. HMS Lancaster is affectionalty known as "The Queen's Frigate" and the Queen is also its sponsor. ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Lancaster_(F229)

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

HMS St Albans in Kuwait