Welcome to the UK Defence Forum

Site-related information.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Well, here it is folks! UK defence finally has its own forum on the Internet.

Here's a little welcoming statement from me. I will try to keep it short and sweet!

I'd like to start by thanking each and every one of you for taking the time out of your busy lives to register and join these forums. We really hope that you will enjoy your stay here.

Secondly, I'd like to pay tribute to a website, whose recent closure is what caused me to bring about the UK Defence Forum. To put it simply, Military Photos was an exemplary forum which gave me and so many others a lot of enjoyment over the years. I can't fully express my gratitude to all those who made it so enjoyable. We hope that the UK Defence Forum will go some way in filling the void left by the closure of that site. We will strive to draw upon many of Military Photos' best qualities, namely its thread standards and members.

We hope that you have liked what you have seen of the forums so far. We have tried our best to create a forum which the whole community will enjoy, but unfortunately we can't please everyone. If there's something which you think could be done better, please consider letting us know. Fortunately, most things on this forum can be easily changed. Likewise, if there are things you do like about the forum, do also contact us as we'd find your feedback both encouraging and useful.

As the forums are fairly new, not all features have been properly configured. If there's something that isn't working correctly, please notify a member of staff. We thank you for your patience while we try and get everything up and running.

As you may have noticed, the forum is a little sparse on threads as we wanted to leave it to our members to start them. Please don't hold back and wait for others to start discussions. Please feel free to start them yourself.

Here's a little rundown on the forum sections:

Equipment: This is for the discussion of all British Armed Forces equipment, past, present and future, regardless of how large or small. You may also discuss products produced by defence companies in the UK which is not used by the British Armed Forces.
Deployments: This section will hold threads on past, present and future deployments/exercises. Additionally, you may also discuss defence in the UK's areas of interest (the Falklands, Europe, Middle East, etc).
Personnel and Units: Discuss units within the British Armed Forces, as well as recruitment, the welfare of personnel, Military Covenant etc.
Photos and Videos: This section will be used to host photos and videos of the British Armed Forces. There will be threads on deployments, equipment, etc. When posting content you do not own, we ask that you provide a URL to the source of the content and state the name of the copyright holder. See our forum rules for more.
Defence Elsewhere: This section will be used for the discussion of allied and non-allied militaries.
And the rest is generally straight forward to understand.

These sections are not set in stone; we plan to introduce new ones as the forum grows.

While we look forward to the good times ahead, it should be borne in mind that just as quickly as these forums can appear, they can also disappear. In order to avoid that, we need your full backing and support. Members like you are what help keep forums like this alive. In return of all the efforts we've gone to of setting this up, we kindly ask that you post as regularly as you can and bring in as many of your friends as you can. They don't have to be UK nationals, either; we want this site to be followed by, not only Brits, but also the wider international community as well.

We are also on the look-out for new staff members, so if you are interested in a position, please let us know and we will consider you.

Finally, I'd like to conclude with a special "thank you" to Mike and RetroSicotte for their help in setting this all up.

Two threads which you may want to visit after registering:

Forum Rules - Read Before Posting
Introduction Thread

I look forward to seeing you all on the forums. Here's to the good times ahead!

The Armchair Soldier

90inFIRST
United Kingdom

Re: Welcome to the UK Defence Forum

Post by 90inFIRST »

If i can help at all please let me know

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Fair winds and following seas !

Edit: I was optimistic once.
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Nice to have this new forum, so that the discussion can continue, and news travel around! Nice to see known "faces" moving in from MP.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Nice to see the forum up and running so quickly, and is already gaining lots of interest by the looks of things. Congratulations and here's to a bright future.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I'm already liking this forum style. Nice and clear, easy on the eye colours and an easier,faster site navigation system which doesn't seem to have any glitches or bugs. However, I've been looking at the edit features, there doesn't seem to be a video button (yet?). There shouldn't be any issues with copyright with videos if they come from Youtube, because its their responsibility, not this forum's.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

It's a pleasure to see you all here. :)

Thanks, SKB, I'm really glad you like the style. Good spot on the video embed option too, I hadn't noticed. I will try and get that sorted.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Videos from a multitude of websites can now be embedded just by posting the URL. ;)

Dforce

Post by Dforce »

So I am online at last, let me celebrate that with a really British affair:

Post by 1911 »

The King is dead! Long Live the King!

Thank you for setting up this forum in such a timely manner. MP.net was a daily destination for me that shall be very much missed. As a very longterm lurker on the epic QE Class thread I am delighted there is now a place to continue that discussion.

Three cheers for UKDF!
"You learn far more from negative leadership than from positive leadership. Because you learn how not to do it. And, therefore, you learn how to do it." - Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

CarrierFan2006

Post by CarrierFan2006 »

Morning all...!!

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

Just registered and hope it all goes well for the forum owner, always good to see a new UK centric defence forum launched.

Regards

Cooper.

(thanks to Gabriele for tweeting the link)

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Good Morning, just registered after being sent from the old QE and POW thread that is closing down.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

Howdy y'all :mrgreen:

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

totally agree with the comments re MP.net will miss the international flavour!

Think Defence
United Kingdom

Post by Think Defence »

Morning all
http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/ - A blog about UK Defence and Security Issues, and containers

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

It would seem mp.net has finally 'ended'. Its still 'up', but I can't post or reply to threads there any longer. :(
The QEC thread there was started by 'Happyslapper' on 26th August 2009. It's final post was made by 'Arfah' today, 1st May 2015 at just after lunchtime, he wrote "Just thought I'd post an O/T comment."
:lol:

mp.net's final post was made by 'hood' at 3:33PM (GMT):
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... ost7640401

CONNAUGHT RANGER

Post by CONNAUGHT RANGER »

Just thought I would say Hi to all here so far.

Do we have a dedicated introduction thread, or is this it ? :P

Some of you will know me from the MP.Net Forum.

Brief intro, Anglo-Irish, served over 21 years in the Irish military (1976-1997) as well as time with U.N.I.F.I.L. in South Lebanon.
Post military service, lived 6 years in Bavaria, Germany, 2003 moved too and got married here in Transylvania, Romania.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Welcome to the forums, Connaught. It's great to see you on here!

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Hi all. Me from the old mp.net 'Queen Elizabeth Class Carrier' thread here again. :)
Had an idea to try to make this new forum seem more cosy and familiar. For those of you with no avatars who had one on mp.net, maybe we could all reuse the same avatars we had once again? I think we all recognised each others avatars over the years. What do you think?

Avatars can be up to 250x250 pixels in size now too. My avatar you see to the left is about 100x100 pixels

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

jonas wrote:Nice to see the forum up and running so quickly, and is already gaining lots of interest by the looks of things. Congratulations and here's to a bright future.
I'm so glad you've joined, it's nice to have positivity injected into a new thread.

vor033

Post by vor033 »

Hi, Really glad to see this Forum up and running !! :)

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Hey man, it's great to see you here! I look forward to the pictures which you will be hopefully sharing with us. :P

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

Brilliant, so many familiar names already - cheers TD for the heads up and welcome all!
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)