CHINA

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
Jake1992
United Kingdom

Re: CHINA

Post by Jake1992 »

Timmymagic wrote:
Jake1992 wrote:With regard to the V-247 it’s already in late stage development and testing
Think you're thinking of the V-280 Valor. The V-247 is in very early design phase and has not received a contract yet.

https://www.janes.com/article/88335/nav ... -programme
From what Iv seen the V-247 vigilant is pretty far along in testing the representative from Bell stated they are using the same engine and tilt rotor setup as they are on the V-280. Yes it hasn’t received a contract from the USMC yet but the work that has been done has come from in house funding.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Jake1992 wrote:From what Iv seen the V-247 vigilant is pretty far along in testing the representative from Bell stated they are using the same engine and tilt rotor setup as they are on the V-280. Yes it hasn’t received a contract from the USMC yet but the work that has been done has come from in house funding.
Nothing more than company funded preliminary studies I'm afraid. If they got a contract today the earliest it would hit service would be mid-2020's. For a fully operational, tested and trialed AEW V-247 you'd be looking at 2030.

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Timmymagic wrote:
Jake1992 wrote:From what Iv seen the V-247 vigilant is pretty far along in testing the representative from Bell stated they are using the same engine and tilt rotor setup as they are on the V-280. Yes it hasn’t received a contract from the USMC yet but the work that has been done has come from in house funding.
Nothing more than company funded preliminary studies I'm afraid. If they got a contract today the earliest it would hit service would be mid-2020's. For a fully operational, tested and trialed AEW V-247 you'd be looking at 2030.
The document I read the spokes person was quoted as saying they are the the working prototype stage with the V-247.

I did say I could see them operational by 10 years so it matches pretty well with what you think.

Like I originally said though I think these would be the perfect naval compliment to the AEW upgrade to the old reapers

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

It might be more of a case of an upgrade for the by then old Protector UAVs.

xav

Post by xav »

Did China conduct the first test flight of its new JL-3 SLBM ?
Several imageries and eyewitness accounts indicate that China likely conducted a missile launch on 2 June. Our colleagues from East Pendulum analyze the open source information and explain why the test could have involved the country’s next-generation submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), the JL-3.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... jl-3-slbm/

xav

Post by xav »

China Launched 6 ASBM into the South China Sea
Details on the recent (July 1st) Chinese Anti-Ship Ballistic Missile (ASBM) launches in the South China Sea are beginning to surface.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... china-sea/

xav

Post by xav »

China: End of the Type 071 LPD Program, Start of the Type 075 LHD One ?
17 years after the start of the program, the construction of the 20,000 tons Type 071 landing platform dock (LPD) seems to be reaching its end after two lots of orders, 8 units in total. Construction of the Type 075 landing helicopter dock (LHD) and the design of a larger version (known as Type 075A), however, are just starting.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... 5-lhd-one/

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Interesting that China is trying to emulate the USN/USMC capabilities just when they latter are looking a re writing their doctrine.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I wonder if they will use their Super Frelon knock offs, the Z-8, from such a platform?

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Lord Jim wrote:I wonder if they will use their Super Frelon knock offs, the Z-8, from such a platform?
Of course, what else? Z-18 and Z-20.

There are supposedly 3 of them in construction, two in docks and third in elements. It seems that they have intention to launch all 3 of them within 18 months. :wtf:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

A reuters mention from 3 hrs back:

"Trucks full of PLA soldiers rolled into Hong Kong within hours of the 1997 handover which ended British rule, raising questions about their role. They stage frequent drills but have seldom since been seen outside their bases. "
- well, the point made then was that the numbers were double of what had been agreed... just to make a point of what had been agreed was not so much (after it had been agreed and already implemented)

"Have seldom been seen outside their bases" :lol: . Take a look on utube now
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Well China's at it again, stating bluntly that if the Queen Elizabeth Carrier Group approaching within 12 nautical miles of any Chinese Sovereign territory, read disputed islands, it will be considered a hostile act. Will our Politicians have the balls to continue with the planned deployment or will they show a lack of them and reroute the deployment? I wonder what a Labour Government would do if it got into power?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Corbyn would not commit to deploying or not deploying the carrier group and then sell it to China along with the SSBN's

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Blackstone
United States of America

Post by Blackstone »

abc123 wrote:Type 075 allready painted:

https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/attach ... jpg.53789/
Fair warning, that image can only be viewed by sinodefenceforum.com members.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Blackstone wrote:
abc123 wrote:Type 075 allready painted:

https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/attach ... jpg.53789/
Fair warning, that image can only be viewed by sinodefenceforum.com members.
Yeah, sorry, that's where I saw it.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

Is that their own design one? What is it stobar or full cats and traps? Never liked stobar myself, always saw it as having all the disadvantages of both catobar and STOVL and none of either’s advantages,,,,

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

cky7 wrote:Is that their own design one? What is it stobar or full cats and traps? Never liked stobar myself, always saw it as having all the disadvantages of both catobar and STOVL and none of either’s advantages,,,,
It's a LHD, not a carrier.

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

Oops, didn’t bother to look at pic till you just told me and for some reason had it in my head that was one of their new carrier designations. They’re certainly churning out the ships at a hell of a rate in China. Just goes to show what can be done when you want to. Makes me think how much more expensive our ships end up being cos of the build rate being slowed from a potential of this to our multi year per ship rate....

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

The Chinese don't worry about things such as cost. The man at the top says "Build me a fleet to compete with the USN", and a blank cheque is handed over.

xav

Post by xav »

There it is

China Launches 1st Type 075 LHD for PLAN
China's first amphibious assault ship, a Landing Helicopter Dock known as Type 075, was launched in Shanghai today.

The People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN or Chinese Navy), the customer of the vessel, said in a statement that after a brief ceremony starting at 9:20 am at a CSSC’s Hudong-Zhonghua shipyard, waters began to be pumped into a dry dock in which the ship’s hull was built.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... -for-plan/

inch

Post by inch »

Frightening how fast Won't be v long at this rate till China overtakes the USA in ship numbers in size and size of vessel ,we will all be singing to the Chinese tune very shortly I think even more so than at present

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

inch wrote:Frightening how fast Won't be v long at this rate till China overtakes the USA in ship numbers in size and size of vessel ,we will all be singing to the Chinese tune very shortly I think even more so than at present
This is one big reason why western nations need to start taking defence a lot more seriously.

But good it does look like a good Ship I must say.