CHINA

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
xav

Re: CHINA

Post by xav »

China’s 1st Type 075 LHD Caught on Fire during Fitting Out
China's first Type 075 landing helicopter dock (LHD) caught on fire yesterday (11 April 2020) according to several pictures and videos shared on Chinese social media.

The first-in-class amphibious vessel, which was launched 6 months ago, is currently at fitting out stage at CSSC’s Hudong-Zhonghua shipyard in Shanghai.

The images show that fire broke out inside the hull of the ship. Smoke can be seen coming out close to one the aircraft elevator and large smoke marks left around well deck opening at the stern
According to Chinese netizens, the fire was put out relatively quickly. And new pictures taken today (12 April 2020) show that most of the “apparent” signs of the fire (black marks from the smoke) have been cleaned up, especially around the stern:
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... tting-out/

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Amazing what few dozen tins of paint and hundreds of cheap workers can do to spare the Party's blushes. :D

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-taiw ... SKCN21U0KE

Taiwan’s Defence Ministry said the Liaoning, China’s first operational aircraft carrier, and five accompanying warships passed first through the Miyako Strait, located between Japan’s islands of Miyako and Okinawa, to the northeast of Taiwan, on Saturday.

On Sunday, the carrier group sailed in waters on Taiwan’s east coast and then into seas to the south of Taiwan, carrying out exercises, the ministry added in a statement.

Taiwan’s armed forces monitored the carrier group’s progress throughout and “completed relevant actions in response to ensure national security and protect regional peace and stability”, it added, without elaborating.

xav

Post by xav »

China Launches 2nd Type 075 LHD for the PLAN
China's second amphibious assault ship, a Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD) known as Type 075, was launched in Shanghai today by Hudong Zhonghua shipyard. The vessel is intended for the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN or Chinese Navy).

Pictures shared by local ship spotters on Sina Weibo (a Chinese social media platform) this morning show the construction dock where the second Type 075 was assembled being flooded. Other pictures show the vessel being towed by tug boats next to the first amphibious vessel. This is where the shipyard will continue outfitting work over the next few months.

According to local media, tomorrow will mark the 71st anniversary of the founding of the PLAN.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... -the-plan/

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

A possible beat up of the long range H-20 bomber that may make its debut this year ,with its range would certainly cover much of the Pacific
https://www.businessinsider.com/china-l ... ?r=AU&IR=T

xav

Post by xav »

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

xav wrote:
I know I’m going to get flamed on here, but that’s the style of carrier the UK should have built nice lines and if the UK went to the full 330m would have made for a nicer balanced strike carrier for F35 as they could of launched and recovered simultaneously.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

R686 wrote:
xav wrote:
I know I’m going to get flamed on here, but that’s the style of carrier the UK should have built nice lines and if the UK went to the full 330m would have made for a nicer balanced strike carrier for F35 as they could of launched and recovered simultaneously.
I think that the QE class can recover 2 or 3 jets at the same time meaning it could launch and recover more jets in a given time

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

I really do like the lines of the bow !!!

I would of thought the deck might get less wet in heavy sea stetes? but would loose deck parking and would be more difficult to adapt to CATOBAR :lolno:

Really thought they would of put a CAT on the angled deck to make a hybrid carrier so they could trial CATOBAR plane as sea before their proper CATOBAR carrier is launched.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Tempest414 wrote:
R686 wrote:
xav wrote:
I think that the QE class can recover 2 or 3 jets at the same time meaning it could launch and recover more jets in a given time
Interesting if that’s the case I would have thought there would be only one aircraft at a time land either hovering or SRVL

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

The RN were landing 2 at a time on Westlant 19 if I am right

Edit as part of the trials

Edit 2 there is a video of them doing it on page 421 of the QE carrier thread

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

How can China get away with doing this?!

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Lord Jim wrote:How can China get away with doing this?!
With the help from Sirkosky Helicopters.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:eh:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

R686 wrote:thought there would be only one aircraft at a time land either hovering or SRVL
true for SRVL
Lord Jim wrote:How can China get away with doing this?!
Internet is a wonderful place; you can steal other people's stuff. Long gone are the days when one was going around and buying bits from the downed Nighthawk from Serbian farmers - and as it was physical activity, the collection point for them got not busted... but bombed ;) .
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

In this article from The Diplomat, the radar being developed for the new P.L.A.N frigate 054b is believed to have radars similarly configured to the R.N,s Daring class destroyers , of course, much of this can be speculation on this class of ships capabilities
https://thediplomat.com/2020/05/what-wi ... look-like/

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

This article in the Diplomat discusses Chinas completion of a satellite g.p.s that provides greater reported accuracy than the American system and is already used by Pakistan in its guidance of missiles , certainly a consideration for its potential adversaries
https://thediplomat.com/2020/06/chinas- ... -complete/

xav

Post by xav »

Was a VTOL UAV Spotted Aboard China’s Type 075 LHD ?
A new type of vertical take off and landing (VTOL) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) was allegedly spotted last week aboard one of the two Type 075 LHD currently fitting out in China. Henri Kenhmann from East Pendulum has the story.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... e-075-lhd/

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The image in story is quite telling: https://www.navalnews.com/wp-content/up ... 24x497.jpg
- how many of these watchmen can you fit onto the same footprint as one attack helicopter, while loitering in the littoral
- both (capabilities) equally required
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

I include this article not that its about defense but to show some of the triggers of rising tensions in this region and would argue that the fishing practice of China is almost another means of dominance
https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... dcaf59e70a

xav

Post by xav »

China’s First Type 075 Landing Helicopter Dock Started Sea Trials
At last! Photos and videos by Chinese ships potters show that China's first amphibious assault ship, a Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD) known as Type 075 has finally started sea trials. The vessel set sails today at around 1:30PM local time departing its dock at the Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard in Shanghai.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... ea-trials/

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Are we permitted to point out that it has no catapults or ramp, isn't nuclear powered, has no aircraft on deck, has only one island and on one occasion, was on fire? :mrgreen:

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

For me the type 075 is a good looking ship and if the Russians are still in the market for a LHD they should stop messing about and and just order 2 from China

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

so looking around today found talk of a Type 076 LHA which is a type 075 with a single catapult and arrester gear the talk is about the type 076 following on from the type 075 could be interesting if it goes ahead

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

SKB wrote:Are we permitted to point out that it has no catapults or ramp, isn't nuclear powered, has no aircraft on deck, has only one island and on one occasion, was on fire?
and constructed by 3000 willing workers for a bowl of rice a day. :mrgreen:

Seriously they seem to be turning out a lot of ships each month.