Donald Trump

For discussions on politics and current events.
seaspear
Australia

Re: Donald Trump

Post by seaspear »

So many world leaders will miss this guy who made them look good

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

seaspear wrote:So many world leaders will miss this guy who made them look good
Kim of Korea https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08 ... 963197.jpg
coming in only as the runner-up in the prizes for the Craziest World Leader
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

BlueD954
Singapore

Post by BlueD954 »

LOL. First, Any US CJCS is never in the NCA or has command authority over decisions to launch US nuclear weapons. Only the President of the US does. https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF10521

Second, what Pelosi asked Milley https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN29D2CW is all in the public domain eg https://nonproliferation.org/op-45-the- ... he-button/

Pelosi, trying to stop Trump from nuking countries or people?! That can never happen, Trump or non Trump in office.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
BlueD954 wrote:That can never happen, Trump or non Trump in office.
Ah-hah, so you say that
- check back in two :crazy: weeks
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

BlueD954
Singapore

Post by BlueD954 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Yes, Singapore spent millions welcoming both Trump and Kim.

BlueD954 wrote:That can never happen, Trump or non Trump in office.
Ah-hah, so you say that
- check back in two :crazy: weeks
I was saying any Us President can solely nuke the world.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

BlueD954 wrote:

LOL. First, Any US CJCS is never in the NCA or has command authority over decisions to launch US nuclear weapons. Only the President of the US does. https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF10521

Second, what Pelosi asked Milley https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN29D2CW is all in the public domain eg https://nonproliferation.org/op-45-the- ... he-button/

Pelosi, trying to stop Trump from nuking countries or people?! That can never happen, Trump or non Trump in office.
I've seen a few people ask about the potential for Trump to "lash out" with nuclear weapons. I've assured them that basically he can't because no one is going to follow an order for an unprovoked nuclear strike, but it's worth Pelosi clarifying and pointing out to the Republican leadership that now that they've realised that the idiot that they've allowed to be commander and chief for the last four years is an idiot he's still the commander and chief.

As far as I'm concerned, it's more or less a bit of political theatre but a necessary bit of political theatre.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

OK, I was trying not to be over-political, and put this onto the US forces thread
M. Pottinger; China
J. Costello; Cyber
A. Ruggiero; Countering weapons of mass destruction
R. Tully; Russia and neighbouring countries in Europe
with all of these senior advisors to the NSC heading for the door

,,, what could possibly go wrong, in the remaining less than two weeks.

If the POTUS cannot bring himself to call the NG onto Washington
then I am sure that he will 'overcompensate' with nukes, somewhere else

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:R. Tully; Russia and neighbouring countries in Europe
with all of these senior advisors to the NSC heading for the door
This https://diasporatravelgreece.com/novoro ... ew-russia/
project stalled in 2015
One can imagine that Luhansk+Donets is not the prize sought, and at the 'right' opportunity the project might re-emerge
... leaving Ukraine as an other Belorus, to be blackmailed at will

BlueD954
Singapore

Post by BlueD954 »

Pseudo wrote:
BlueD954 wrote:

I've seen a few people ask about the potential for Trump to "lash out" with nuclear weapons. I've assured them that basically he can't because no one is going to follow an order for an unprovoked nuclear strike, but it's worth Pelosi clarifying and pointing out to the Republican leadership that now that they've realised that the idiot that they've allowed to be commander and chief for the last four years is an idiot he's still the commander and chief.

As far as I'm concerned, it's more or less a bit of political theatre but a necessary bit of political theatre.
It was also the case with Nixon. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... xon-215478

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

a bit of political theatre but a necessary bit of political theatre.
What has transpired from the going-ons from inside of Capitol makes it sound like some participating groups had a poor carbon copy of Hitler's beerhall Putch, with 'hang Pence as a traitor' and kidnap Pelosi , for the next steps... as in:
"
By November 1923, Hitler and his associates had concocted a plot to seize power of the Bavarian state government (and thereby launch a larger revolution against the Weimar Republic) by kidnapping Gustav von Kahr (1862-1934), the state commissioner of Bavaria, and two other conservative politicians. Hitler’s plan involved using Erich Ludendorff (1865-1937), the right-wing World War I general, as a figurehead to lead a march on Berlin "

Any truth to the speculation that Pence is holding back from 25th Amendment action for fear of provoking Trump to do something even more extreme?

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Any truth to the speculation that Pence is holding back from 25th Amendment action for fear of provoking Trump to do something even more extreme?
I think that it's for fear of provoking the Trump base to ditch the Republicans entirely that it hasn't been invoked because if Pence did invoke the 25th Amendment Trump's authority to do something more extreme would be removed. My feeling is that Pence is basically holding the threat of invoking the 25th Amendment over Trump's head to discourage him from doing anything and I expect that his power has more or less been removed anyway and it's been made very clear to everyone that any orders from Trump are to be run by Pence before being followed.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Then again Trump might like to hand over the reins to Pence on a quid pro quo of receiving a blanket pardon lol

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

i suspect there's some sort of blackmail going on with Pence... Specially after Trump aimed a mob of armed lunatics at him... you don't stick by someone's side when they've sent armed goons at you.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

seaspear wrote:Then again Trump might like to hand over the reins to Pence on a quid pro quo of receiving a blanket pardon lol
I don't think that there's any way that Pence pardons Trump after Trump incited a mob to attack the Capitol who threatened to hang Pence while Pence and his wife and daughter were in the senate chamber.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

time order, by Reuters:
"The House is set to vote on Monday or Tuesday on a resolution urging Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which allows him and the cabinet to remove the president if he is unable to discharge his official duties, Pelosi said in a letter. Pelosi added that after that the House “will proceed with bringing impeachment legislation to the floor.” Through late Sunday, 210 House members have cosponsored the impeachment measure, or nearly a majority of the House."
- so the 'urging' is there for the last 10 days or so, as a legal backup should Pence decide that he will have to intervene
- and the Hse articles, once voted on, could be sent whenever for the Senate vote, like 10 days+another 100 days... to finally take the camera attention off Trump (in itself a 'punishment' ;) )

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

the 25th resolution is Monday, with 24 hours for Pence to find his spine... then Tuesday they're starting impeachment.

I can see the Senate side waiting for 100 days past Biden taking office... it would allow him the time to get his nominations through and to start a proper push back against Covid, then they can try and convict him (which may be a much more possible thing than last time IMHO)... and if they get the 2/3rds of present Congress members, then they can ban him from public office for life with a simple Majority Vote

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The previous cheer leaders for him @Fox turned against him (not all, though) by the we end and Tucker Carlson's remarks are worth quoting.

"We've gone from being this big continental country with an enormous span of concerns and interests to a sweaty chat room of 300 million people all of whom are focused on a single man, Donald Trump.

"That is not healthy, no matter how you feel about Trump. At some point you've got to wonder about where our country is putting all of its energy. Is any single president, anyone, worth all of this time and attention?"

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

It's not cricket :idea:

PGA of America
@PGA
·
6h
"The PGA of America Board of Directors voted tonight to exercise the right to terminate the agreement to play the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster." — Jim Richerson, PGA

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The interview with WP highlights/ suggests a convoluted reporting hierarchy on the Hill:
"Sund, who will step down from his post on Jan. 16 after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called for his resignation, said his request for help was rejected or delayed six times.

“If we would have had the National Guard we could have held them at bay longer, until more officers from our partner agencies could arrive,” he told the newspaper.

Sund kept telling officials that “the situation is dire”, the newspaper reported."
- so the chief of the protection force was subject to two different vetos (?) from the respective heads of security for House & Senate?
- or is this just a matter of painting a different picture from the three losing communication (and thus C2)?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The articles (now out, for everyone) interestingly narrow down the attack on Gvmnt (Trump could :D say "I am the Gvmnt) towards the end with the words 'imperiled a coequal branch of Government'
... Hitler didn't need to do that: he simply enabled his 'own branch' - to save the nation - and thereby, with the same stroke neutered the parliament.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Presently various bodies of law enforcement are on alert for an armed reaction from pro-Trump groups , leaving a legacy of hate-filled armed groups driven by spurious conspiracy theories is a challenge to the incoming government as well as both political parties,also an incoming administration with aims of reducing the types of firearms legally available,I would expect more turbulence ahead

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Looks like there's threats from the 16th all the way up to the 20th... with targets apparently across the US

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

A threat to
seaspear wrote:both political parties,also an incoming administration with aims of reducing the types of firearms legally available,I would expect more turbulence
Quite, as up till now a holstered gun has been some sort of insurance. Whereas now it looks like crazies with automatic weapons and various forms of HE... there is a limit, though, to what can be bought, can turn up anywhere. So even having a security detail might not count for much.

If the Proud Boys are the modern-day SA, can't see another organisation that could take them from the scene (overnight, as in the wholly theoretical historical parallel). Decades of lone-wolf terrorists have by now turned into these groups that, even if pacified when Trump - finally - leaves the scene, will still leave splinter groups behind.

BlueD954
Singapore

Post by BlueD954 »

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

It has become clear why there was such a hurry for the drawdowns, Millitary Times feature:

" Your Military
National Guard inauguration deployment: twice as large as troop levels in Afghanistan and Iraq combined
Davis Winkie
15 hours ago

National Guard Bureau chief Gen. Daniel Hokanson said that there will initially be a deployment of 10,000 troops — an increase of about 4,000 from those in D.C. now.

That figure is twice the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Iraq combined.

“Right now we have 10,000 inbound and we’re authorized to go to [15,000],” said the NGB chief. The troops will assist District and federal agencies with “security, logistics, communications, and liaison missions,” he said.

About Davis Winkie
Davis Winkie is a reporting fellow at Military Times. He mainly covers the National Guard and the Army, though he also handles general assignments. He previously worked as a military historian, and he is a human resources officer in the Army National Guard.