Boeing P-8A Poseidon (MRA Mk.1) (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
Ianmb17
United Kingdom

Re: Boeing P-8A Poseidon (Future Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft) (RAF)

Post by Ianmb17 »

Seaseeker after Airseeker :roll: :roll:

arfah
Niue

Re: Boeing P-8A Poseidon (Future Maritime Patrol Aircraft) (RAF)

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Neptune is another name if the Poseidon,s are customised

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

"Neptune" sounds like a submarine name, P-8's hunt those. "Neptune" belongs under water, not above it. ;)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Never heard of it. :oops: :lol:

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

cockneyjock1974 wrote:Just saw this on a blog where people are still advocating we should have persevered with the Nimrod. It's a reply to an idiot with no clue......

move on…its been dead for 5 years…and as the former RAF officer who signed off its first flight all those years ago, I.might argue with you that it was not as good as you think it was. In reality the airframe in particular had some real issues that needed a shed load more money to get it safely into service even if tbe mission system was almost fully mature. In 2010 the extra cash needed was a bridge too far I’m afraid. .. now at least we are getting an aircraft which is as modern as it gets and if nothing else is common with our principle maritime ally. That means a great deal in itself.

Interesting eh??
First name wasn't Sid by any chance?

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

AFAIK Raytheon UK wrote the ISAR GMTI algorithm due to their success in Sentinel. The original software came from a small UK company for tracking movements within the stockmarkets to look for irregularities.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

jimthelad wrote:AFAIK Raytheon UK wrote the ISAR GMTI algorithm due to their success in Sentinel. The original software came from a small UK company for tracking movements within the stockmarkets to look for irregularities.
Thanks for the clarification, I knew there was some kind of tedious link.

Nice video of the P8, with some nice low passes.

@LandSharkUK

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Neptune was the roman god of the sea copied from the greek god poseidon they are both posed with a trident in statues

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Just thought of a new name. The P-8 'Kraken'. ;)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Should probably begin with an S to fit in with the rest of the ISTAR fleet.

Although I see AirSeeker refered to as Rivet Joint most of the time, so I guess we'll be sticking with poesidon.
@LandSharkUK

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

shark bait wrote:Should probably begin with an S to fit in with the rest of the ISTAR fleet.
Sedna: inuit goddess of the sea, marine animals, and sea hunting. Follows well from Nimrod (the great hunter from the old testament/hebrew mythology) too.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Do we have an American aircraft in service that we have renamed? For every American aircraft that I can think of, aside from Rivet Joint (whose "Airseeker" name seems all but abandoned anyway), we have kept their original American names: Lightning II, Reaper, Globemaster, Hercules...

I'm glad in a way because there seems to be a new trend in the MOD for making up shit names for kit. I mean, Airseeker? Protector? ... Sea Ceptor?

I do like the thought of a bunch of Scotsmen up at Lossiemouth trying to pronounce "Kraken" though.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

To be honest, 'Airseeker' sounds like a package holiday company or brochure. ;)

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:Do we have an American aircraft in service that we have renamed? For every American aircraft that I can think of, aside from Rivet Joint (whose "Airseeker" name seems all but abandoned anyway), we have kept their original American names: Lightning II, Reaper, Globemaster, Hercules...

I'm glad in a way because there seems to be a new trend in the MOD for making up shit names for kit. I mean, Airseeker? Protector? ... Sea Ceptor?

I do like the thought of a bunch of Scotsmen up at Lossiemouth trying to pronounce "Kraken" though.
I think you have to go back through history for stuff like the Washington. Not sure if the times the Americans adopted our names for Lend-Lease stuff like with the Catalina and the Liberator count.

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

As the lend lease act is still running the Royal Air Force could get two aircraft to fill the gapped requirement
quickly as per the first C 17 set up .I don't think congress would object to the lease- lend The aircraft would deal the snooping subs quickly rather relying on allies. Using American weapons returning them when Royal Air Force's first two with U.K. aircraft enter service. As we have embedded personnel they could effectively stand up quickly.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

It is not running, unfortunately:

"A critical program for winning the war, Lend-Lease came to an abrupt end with its conclusion. As Britain needed to retain much of the Lend-Lease equipment for postwar use, the Anglo-American Loan was signed through which the British agreed to purchase the items for approximately ten cents on the dollar. The total value of the loan was around £1,075 million. The final payment on the loan was made in 2006."

Early parts of it required mortgaging base areas (as 99-year long collateral, should Britain go under) e.g. in the Bahamas and along the Canadian coast. Later, when American troops started arriving, Britain gifted them with 7bn $ worth of kit (as shipping was the effective bottleneck) vs. the $ 31 bn worth of American made stuff received.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Had been thinking - but what are people's opinions on the potential for additional orders beyond 9 we have specified already? Do we anticipate potential options in the contract to be signed? I know it might be a bit early to even speculate but i do remember when rumours of an impending buy were first mentioned the figure of 12 was often bandied??

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:Had been thinking - but what are people's opinions on the potential for additional orders beyond 9 we have specified already? Do we anticipate potential options in the contract to be signed? I know it might be a bit early to even speculate but i do remember when rumours of an impending buy were first mentioned the figure of 12 was often bandied??
I'd hope that of we get access to AAS to replace Sentinel's capability then we might get another three to ensure that we've got enough to perform both roles simultaneously.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Pseudo wrote:
~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:Had been thinking - but what are people's opinions on the potential for additional orders beyond 9 we have specified already? Do we anticipate potential options in the contract to be signed? I know it might be a bit early to even speculate but i do remember when rumours of an impending buy were first mentioned the figure of 12 was often bandied??
I'd hope that of we get access to AAS to replace Sentinel's capability then we might get another three to ensure that we've got enough to perform both roles simultaneously.
I've been wondering this since the announcement, if we do get access to AAS to replace sentinel are 9 airframes enough units to do the sentinel job and MPA job?

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Pseudo wrote:
When the figure of 12 was first mentioned, in all honesty, i was under the impression it was just in the context of allowing us to properly cover our MPA requirements alone. If we truly do need 12 for MPA then i would have thought that asking it to also replace Sentinel would require additional airframes beyond that. Just my unedcuated guess.

Ianmb17
United Kingdom

Post by Ianmb17 »

Will P8 purchase be like Airseeker classed as part of core US fleet (left in US colours to save money)but get all upgrades as standard and UK have input to future upgrades

This would give greater chance of future AAS procurement

Photo pprune.org

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Ianmb17 wrote:Will P8 purchase be like Airseeker classed as part of core US fleet (left in US colours to save money)but get all upgrades as standard and UK have input to future upgrades

This would give greater chance of future AAS procurement

Photo pprune.org
How on earth does leaving it in the same colours, make it part of a core US fleet.