Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Dobbo
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Dobbo »

Jdam wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 10:13 12 years too late :eh:

We have what we have lets more on.

That said the movement to add cats and traps (or at least traps) to operate UAVs and other types of loyal wingman drones is interesting and would add a lot to the carriers.

Aside from numbers of units, the key for me is getting the lethality of the weapons fit to the F-35s (Meteor, Spear, Storm Shadow/ FCASW) up to speed with the AWACS and AAR improved. That would make them very very capable platforms.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Cats and Traps would have been a good capability, however whilst it has its restrictions the F35B provides a common platform for the RAF & RN, and also gives the opportunities to evolve new operating models. The ability to interchange between the carrier and a forward temporary site being one.
These users liked the author Repulse for the post (total 2):
wargame_insomniacTSharpe28
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

The recent “article” missed the most important point.

Two x QEC (STOVL) Carriers. offer far more capability than One x CATOBAR Carrier, despite the writers assertions.

Yes, I would have preferred CATOBAR for the QEC, but then I would also still prefer to have three of them.

As others have written, what matters now is increasing the capabilities of both the individual aircraft and also the size of the Air Group(s). :mrgreen:
These users liked the author Scimitar54 for the post (total 3):
wargame_insomniacserge750Max Jones

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

I don't think anyone on this board would argue against 2 CATOBAR Carriers but I will always settle for 2 STOVL carriers over 1 CATOBAR.

The F-35 kind of changes things as well, as much as I like the Harrier, the F-35B makes up a lot of the space between it and other sea launched aircraft.

Also with V-22 I think the possibility of recreating the capabilities of the CATOBAR carriers exist, now with the extended range CMV-22B we would have a good foundation to build on. You could do Carrier On board delivery, finish off the Air to Air refueling pod, Repurposed Crows nest for an AEW pod, maybe even a ASW pod. Its about what we are willing to spend.

Right now we have 2 carriers, a good aircraft and AEW helicopter, like has been said lets focus on getting our equipment onto the F-35, getting the numbers up and we will have a good strike capability,
These users liked the author Jdam for the post (total 2):
wargame_insomniacTSharpe28

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

UK if wanted can land/take off from a CVN or CdeG with minimal fuss ( a we bit of paint ) for that 3some !!
These users liked the author serge750 for the post:
PhillyJ

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

serge750 wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 19:57 UK if wanted can land/take off from a CVN or CdeG with minimal fuss ( a we bit of paint ) for that 3some !!

Do you really want the French on your ships?

That alone is a case for STVOL carrier :angel:
These users liked the author R686 for the post (total 5):
Max JonesJdamFire_In_My_Holeswoopserge750

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

We can also Cross-Deck between our own Carriers. That is something you cannot do when you only have “One”! :mrgreen:
These users liked the author Scimitar54 for the post (total 2):
dmereifieldserge750

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Jdam wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 18:45 I don't think anyone on this board would argue against 2 CATOBAR Carriers but I will always settle for 2 STOVL carriers over 1 CATOBAR.

The F-35 kind of changes things as well, as much as I like the Harrier, the F-35B makes up a lot of the space between it and other sea launched aircraft.

Also with V-22 I think the possibility of recreating the capabilities of the CATOBAR carriers exist, now with the extended range CMV-22B we would have a good foundation to build on. You could do Carrier On board delivery, finish off the Air to Air refueling pod, Repurposed Crows nest for an AEW pod, maybe even a ASW pod. Its about what we are willing to spend.

Right now we have 2 carriers, a good aircraft and AEW helicopter, like has been said lets focus on getting our equipment onto the F-35, getting the numbers up and we will have a good strike capability,
Very True and the F-35s need drop tanks first or buddy tanks to refuel each other between launch and recovery

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

These users liked the author SKB for the post (total 2):
TSharpe28serge750

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Can you post the article? I lost subscription.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

TSharpe28 wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 03:51
Can you post the article? I lost subscription.
Yes, I am intrigued by this little tidbit. Would love to see what it entails. [and potentially modified for coalition flight operations with conventional carrier-borne aircraft]
These users liked the author jonas for the post:
Caribbean

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

…and potentially modified for coalition flight operations with conventional carrier-borne aircraft…
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Another email from nipper this morning, all going well but he is tired as they are on constant defence watches. Some twitter updates on what they have been up to, looks a tad chilly!

These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post (total 2):
SKBLord Jim

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Repulse wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 10:23
…and potentially modified for coalition flight operations with conventional carrier-borne aircraft…
I thought this only applies to "Unmanned", Conventional Aircraft, so limited size and payload, but able to work with the F-35Bs if needed. We are not going to see E-2D Hawkeyes anytime soon flying of either carrier or F-35C for that matter.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Lord Jim wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 21:02
Repulse wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 10:23
I thought this only applies to "Unmanned", Conventional Aircraft, so limited size and payload, but able to work with the F-35Bs if needed. We are not going to see E-2D Hawkeyes anytime soon flying of either carrier or F-35C for that matter.
Well if the wording is correct. then conventional carrier borne aircraft means just that to me.
These users liked the author jonas for the post:
Scimitar54

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

More twitter updates for PWLS, contact with nipper not easy as they all had to hand in their SIM cards once they got close to the 'red zone'.

These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post:
serge750

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QE arrives in Liverpool for first time

(Mersey Shipping) 24th March 2022
The Royal Navy's Flagship the HMS Queen Elizabeth visits Liverpool for the first time today. She was helped down river by tugs Svitzer Trident, Stanford, Stanlow and Amazonas. She is in Liverpool for 4 days

(JTR) 25th March 2022

(Stratus Imagery Ltd) 26th March 2022
HMS Queen Elizabeth the royal navy aircraft carrier arrived in Liverpool We have special permission from CAA,Royal Navy and Police forces to carry out the aerial imagery

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Shipping On The Mersey) 28th March 2022
HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaving Liverpool after a 4 day stay

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Some more PWLS tweets. Spoke to nipper last night on secure phone, he said they had an Osprey on board, I initially thought he meant the bird of prey! They also got to go and have a snowball fight on the flight deck, though it was chilly, and he said it was strange to be at sea and have snow falling. I guess in the very rare occasions he has seen it, always been on land. They are off to Iceland at the end of the deployment for a run ashore...❄️

These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post (total 3):
SKBserge750wargame_insomniac

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(@HMSPWLS) 29th March 2022
An epic night for the Northern Lights last night for the Task Group. All part of operating in the Arctic on exercise Cold Response22 with our NATO Allies.
These users liked the author SKB for the post (total 6):
Phil Sayersserge750PhillyJwargame_insomniacScimitar54Caribbean

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

QNLZ.coming home tomorrow...

These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post:
SKB

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

PhillyJ wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 10:24 Some more PWLS tweets. Spoke to nipper last night on secure phone, he said they had an Osprey on board, I initially thought he meant the bird of prey!
:thumbup:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QE arrives home.
(Portsmouth Harbour Boats) 30th March 2022

These users liked the author SKB for the post:
djkeos

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Portsea Queen.jpg
(Photo: Portsea Evening News)
Rumours of HMS Queen Elizabeth being sold have resurfaced since the ship returned from Scotland and Liverpool. Since the ship returned on Wednesday, the 65,000 tonne Royal Navy aircraft carrier has been partially repainted green and clearly renamed as the "Portsea Queen".

Early stages of the ship's repainting in the naval base clearly show a paint match for the distinctive green livery of the Gosport Ferry service. The "Portsea Queen" could potentially be used as a high capacity foot-passenger ferry for the busy Portsmouth to Gosport service and possibly, for a new Portsmouth to Ryde route as well.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) and HMNB Portsmouth are yet to formally announce the sale or transfer of the ship.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.