Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
PhillyJ
England

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by PhillyJ »

Spoke to nipper earlier tonight, they are hanging around off Lyme Bay and ship has been performing well. Got some Chinooks and an Apache on board, due home soon after planned shake down ends and then off out again not long after.
These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post (total 5):
Scimitar54wargame_insomniacTempest414inchserge750

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

...here are some official pics of the visitors, looks like a Wildcat turned up for fun.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

...and another. PWLS left Lyme Bay and was doing a sea cruise off Cornwall earlier this week before my nipper was told to turn off the AIS by the officer of the watch...edited to add that I see she has popped back up just off Swanage...

These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post:
Wrekin1410

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

And a nice RAS before they order Pompey Revs. 😎

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

A lot of local news down here that PWLS has been put on standby for NATO, as she is the flagship at the moment I guess this is to be expected, for any Ukrainian response.

Just wondering what, if any, F35B'S could deploy on her. I cannot remember if she has completed all flight trials for them or not.

Certainly the ' buzz' around the ship is about NATO and Ukraine at the moment.
These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post (total 3):
Tempest414bobpserge750

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

PhillyJ wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 11:25 A lot of local news down here that PWLS has been put on standby for NATO, as she is the flagship at the moment I guess this is to be expected, for any Ukrainian response.

Just wondering what, if any, F35B'S could deploy on her. I cannot remember if she has completed all flight trials for them or not.

Certainly the ' buzz' around the ship is about NATO and Ukraine at the moment.

If the shit hits the fan there will be planes to embark. A lot of pilots will have qualified on QE, and also deckhands from QE.
These users liked the author bobp for the post:
PhillyJ

Fire_In_My_Hole
United Kingdom

Post by Fire_In_My_Hole »

These users liked the author Fire_In_My_Hole for the post:
PhillyJ

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Fire_In_My_Hole wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 17:42
FFS, a simple and free check of any maritime app that checks AIS could suggest otherwise...unless it's being used by someone else falsely.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

When HMS Queen Elizabeth led CSG21, she had 18*F35B, but 10 of those were USMC and just 8 were from No.617 squadron. Apparently UK has received 24*F35B, less the one unfortunately crashed, and less three that might be still training in US, would give maximum possible 20 in UK.

I am not sure where we are in terms of pilots having completed their at sea training and also availaility of airframes after maintenance and spares considerations? I am guessing that the 8 UK pilots who flew in CSG21 would need some down time in terms of debriefing, leave and additional training. So I guess that leaves between 12 and 20 F35B available for deployment either now or shortly?

From the initial press announcements it appears that HMS Prince of Wales will be fielding mainly helicopters as part of her leading the NATO’s Maritime High Readiness Force. The carrier USS Harry S. Truman was supposed to be bringing her air wing along for exercises off Norway but she is currently preoccupied woth Ukraine.

According to Navy Lookout: "HMSQNLZis the UK “high readiness” strike carrier. In maintenance but technically at 72 hrs notice to deploy."

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Still effectively only 8, until the next 3 arrive (delivery delayed from 2021, due to COVID). That is unless a decision to suspend live flying training is taken, with consequent delays to the standing up of 809 NAS. That would not be the best idea this year and should only really happen in the worst possible scenario. :mrgreen:

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

QNLZ going for a wind tomorrow from 1130, obviously getting ready to welcome her big sister home at the end of the week.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

PhillyJ wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 18:22 QNLZ going for a wind tomorrow from 1130, obviously getting ready to welcome her big sister home at the end of the week.
Big sister?

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Dahedd wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 20:40
PhillyJ wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 18:22 QNLZ going for a wind tomorrow from 1130, obviously getting ready to welcome her big sister home at the end of the week.
Big sister?
sorry, in house joke with a few on here and my nipper about PWLS being bigger than QNLZ...and heavier, and faster etcetc.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Local Pompey news reporting PWLS due back home Friday 1345, I had heard Friday lunchtime or Saturday early morning...prefer the Friday time to be honest as I'll be at college in the Boathouse. 8-)
Scimitar54

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

PhillyJ wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 19:50 Local Pompey news reporting PWLS due back home Friday 1345, I had heard Friday lunchtime or Saturday early morning...prefer the Friday time to be honest as I'll be at college in the Boathouse. 8-)
Confirmed on QHM website that she leaves OSB at 1345 tomorrow to enter Pompey harbour, I'd give it another 15 mins before they pass Round Tower.

Timmymagic

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

These users liked the author jonas for the post (total 2):
RepulsePhillyJ

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

PoW's back :wave:

(ships, planes and gaming) 4th February 2022

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

She most certainly is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rbeedall
Ireland

Post by rbeedall »

The crews, tugboats and pilot are clearly now getting the hang of berthing these monsters. POW was straight in and done on Friday, a comparison with some old Youtube videos of QE and POW nervously entering Portsmouth in 2018/19 is chalk and cheese. It's becoming near routine, rather than a potentially career breaking experience.
These users liked the author rbeedall for the post (total 2):
Timmymagiczanahoria

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

rbeedall wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 23:45 The crews, tugboats and pilot are clearly now getting the hang of berthing these monsters. POW was straight in and done on Friday, a comparison with some old Youtube videos of QE and POW nervously entering Portsmouth in 2018/19 is chalk and cheese. It's becoming near routine, rather than a potentially career breaking experience.
You are not the “Bedall” who had a fantastic web site years ago about the Royal Navy and the build of the QE Class carriers by chance are you?

Haven’t been able to find the site for many years wondering what happened to it

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

R686 wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 02:17 Haven’t been able to find the site for many years wondering what happened to it
The legendary Navy Matters website from Richard Beedall, sadly no longer operational, but you can find it on the web via archiving....see the below link and save it in your favourites...

http://web.archive.org/web/201301030130 ... index.html
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post (total 3):
R686JensyWrekin1410

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Timmymagic wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 09:48
R686 wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 02:17 Haven’t been able to find the site for many years wondering what happened to it
The legendary Navy Matters website from Richard Beedall, sadly no longer operational, but you can find it on the web via archiving....see the below link and save it in your favourites...

http://web.archive.org/web/201301030130 ... index.html
Cheers mate thanks for that, have been looking on off for some time

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

R686 wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 10:57 Cheers mate thanks for that, have been looking on off for some time
It's a real time capsule of the time period. If all those plans had reached fruition the RN would have been in terrific shape.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

rbeedall wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 23:45 The crews, tugboats and pilot are clearly now getting the hang of berthing these monsters. POW was straight in and done on Friday, a comparison with some old Youtube videos of QE and POW nervously entering Portsmouth in 2018/19 is chalk and cheese. It's becoming near routine, rather than a potentially career breaking experience.
Welcome on board..
These users liked the author bobp for the post (total 3):
RepulseJensyTimmymagic

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Looks like the Navy has bought a barge to help service the carriers and other ships at Portsmouth....

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... royal-navy
These users liked the author bobp for the post (total 3):
SKBwargame_insomniacPhillyJ