Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SKB
England

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by SKB »

An album of photos of QE in Oslo, by Morten René ( @mortenrene )
https://www.liavaag.org/English/Albums/ ... Elizabeth/
These users liked the author SKB for the post (total 4):
RobertobobpRon5Timmymagic

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

These users liked the author SKB for the post:
donald_of_tokyo

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Ron5

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Does this mean Crowsnest is working at last?

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Ron5 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 15:06 Does this mean Crowsnest is working at last?
I don't think its there yet..but the fact they seem happy to have it photographed onboard might not be a bad sign.
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
Ron5

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

How long before the Merlins need replacing?

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

bobp wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 20:42 How long before the Merlins need replacing?
If I am not wrong, out of service date for Merlin is moved to 2040.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

sol wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 20:50
bobp wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 20:42 How long before the Merlins need replacing?
If I am not wrong, out of service date for Merlin is moved to 2040.
OK thanks for that though it seems like a long time, 18 more years.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

QNLZ coming in tomorrow evening.
Screenshot_20221130-133214.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post:
djkeos

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

From Flight, re-Crowsnest:
UK Royal Navy reviewing specifications for struggling Crowsnest AEW system

The UK Royal Navy (RN) is reviewing its required capabilities for the Crowsnest airborne early warning and control system, after experiencing early shortcomings with the technology.

Carried by some of the Fleet Air Arm’s Leonardo Helicopters AW101 Merlin HM2s, the Crowsnest system represents a key embarked defensive capability for the RN’s Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers and associated vessels.

Crowsnest-equipped rotorcraft involved in the RN’s current Carrier Strike Group 22 (CSG22) deployment are equipped with the latest 12.2-standard software, and the service’s view of the system is “ever-improving”, Lockheed Martin UK chief executive Paul Livingston told the UK parliament’s Defence Committee on 29 November.

“It is performing well, it is much more stable – we were having a lot of [system] instability problems last year – and that capability is now coming together,” he says. “We are looking very hard at what reports come back from CSG22, because we are seeing significantly improved performance.”

Lockheed is prime contractor for the Crowsnest effort, which integrates the Thales Searchwater radar and Cerberus mission system previously used on the RN’s Westland Sea King ASaC 7 rotorcraft – retired in 2018 – with a new processor.

Livingston points to the challenges associated with modifying the system around the mechanically-scanned sensor, which at one point forced Thales to suspend work for a three-month period, prompting “stronger oversight” by Lockheed.

Factors contributing to programme delays have included a shortage of personnel with experience of Ada-software coding, and the updated certification requirements of the UK Military Aviation Authority, he says. The Crowsnest system needs to achieve more than 10,000 flight-test points to secure approval, versus only 4,000 for the RN’s introduction of the original Merlin HM1 helicopter.

Additionally, “The task the radar is being asked to perform is much more complex than in the original Searchwater specification”, he notes.

“Since the navy has started using it they have actually changed some of what they may want the system to do in the future,” he says. “There is a live discussion between the Ministry of Defence [MoD], the Royal Navy and Lockheed Martin and our subcontractors, on are there additional things they would want embedded in that weren’t even in the specification that was signed up to?”

He adds: “Are there things they are not quite so bothered about any more; what is really important to them given their current [operational] context? We are going through those discussions now.

“We are changing the specification, based on what the Ministry of Defence has asked us to re-look at,” he says, while adding that Lockheed is “determined to see it through and complete its development”.

Lockheed had originally proposed delivering the Crowsnest capability using replacement active electronically scanned array radar technology, via a “Vigilance” system proposal also involving sensor provider Elta Systems. The MoD instead selected the Thales offering in 2015.
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post:
PhillyJ

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(CNPics) 1st December 2022
Welcome home HMSQNLZ from your deployment!
djkeos

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

According to this article it is expected that HMS PWLS will return to the fleet around February .....

https://www.navylookout.com/brief-uk-ca ... -wraps-up/
These users liked the author bobp for the post:
PhillyJ

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Indeed, nipper reckoned end of march at the latest, although he and many of his warfare crew are in Manchester at the moment being trained in passport control.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

PhillyJ wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 16:47 Indeed, nipper reckoned end of march at the latest, although he and many of his warfare crew are in Manchester at the moment being trained in passport control.
Interesting skill to learn. At least he is not stuck onboard.
These users liked the author bobp for the post:
PhillyJ

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

bobp wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 19:39
PhillyJ wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 16:47 Indeed, nipper reckoned end of march at the latest, although he and many of his warfare crew are in Manchester at the moment being trained in passport control.
Debatable. I currently have juniors assisting with that to cover striking border force employees and juniors training to be ambulance drivers to cover that strike.

None are happy about it, it isn't what they joined to do, most will miss christmas at home and it has a negative effect on retention.
These users liked the author downsizer for the post (total 2):
Tempest414swoop

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

And I would bet most are covering for people earning more than they do.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post (total 2):
CaribbeanLittle J

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

downsizer wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 19:21
bobp wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 19:39
Debatable. I currently have juniors assisting with that to cover striking border force employees and juniors training to be ambulance drivers to cover that strike.

None are happy about it, it isn't what they joined to do, most will miss christmas at home and it has a negative effect on retention.
Quite maybe HMG should be training up junior ministers to cover the strikes they might learn something it is not the job of the MOD to bale out HMG all the time this time it is strikes last time it was covid the MOD has its own job to do next they will be delivering the post
These users liked the author Tempest414 for the post:
serge750

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Back in the 70's I drove fuel tankers, green goddesses and snow ploughs, helped with flood defences and moved rotten potatoes from Hull docks.
So I do appreciate it was not what i signed up to do but at the same time someone had to do it.
These users liked the author bobp for the post (total 4):
SouthcoastsamzanahoriaPhil Rhopper

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

bobp wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 11:52 Back in the 70's I drove fuel tankers, green goddesses and snow ploughs, helped with flood defences and moved rotten potatoes from Hull docks.
So I do appreciate it was not what i signed up to do but at the same time someone had to do it.
Good for you, I'll get you a medal.

The world has changed now, we don't have massive AFs anymore where MACA tasks have minimal impact to remaining output. We can't do our primary job and people not on MACA tasking can't take leave. It's fucked. But thats ok cus you did it in the fucking 70s. :wtf:

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

I don’t think bobp is suggesting it’s ok because “he did it in the fucking 70s”. Unfortunately, I think his post illustrates the variety of tasks (in addition to those given to downsizer’s colleagues) that could be awaiting the crew of HMS QE & others in the months to come.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I actually think that a soldier earning 22K should not be asked to do the work of someone earning much more. Forces personnel are not allowed to strike and their numbers are much less than in the "fucking" seventies. If anyone deserves a rise in pay its them and that is a big part of the problem.
These users liked the author bobp for the post (total 9):
Tinplate TurleighCaribbeanRon5hopperdmereifieldserge750wargame_insomniaczanahoriaScimitar54

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

bobp wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 01:42 I actually think that a soldier earning 22K should not be asked to do the work of someone earning much more. Forces personnel are not allowed to strike and their numbers are much less than in the "fucking" seventies. If anyone deserves a rise in pay its them and that is a big part of the problem.
Good, because your earlier post seemed to suggest it was a good thing we are covering for the BF and ambulance crews and looking at passports would be an interesting skill to learn, because it fucking isn't pal.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

downsizer wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 17:21
bobp wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 01:42 I actually think that a soldier earning 22K should not be asked to do the work of someone earning much more. Forces personnel are not allowed to strike and their numbers are much less than in the "fucking" seventies. If anyone deserves a rise in pay its them and that is a big part of the problem.
Good, because your earlier post seemed to suggest it was a good thing we are covering for the BF and ambulance crews and looking at passports would be an interesting skill to learn, because it fucking isn't pal.
OK I think this one has been put to bed now chaps
These users liked the author Tempest414 for the post:
PhillyJ

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Finally some news on the QNLZ TV series, though no actual timings/dates yet.
These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post (total 5):
bobpwargame_insomniacserge750Scimitar54djkeos

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

We've seen this before...

But how about this...

It is an interesting concept...perhaps not for this application though...

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/content/n ... propulsion