British Indian Ocean Territory (British Overseas Territory)

Discuss current, historical or potential future deployments, as well the defence of the UK's overseas interests.
SKB
England

British Indian Ocean Territory (British Overseas Territory)

Post by SKB »

^ Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Re: British Indian Ocean Territory (British Overseas Territory)

Post by shark bait »

The Americans were due to make a decision on their lease in 2015. Has any one heard anything?
@LandSharkUK

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

shark bait wrote:The Americans were due to make a decision on their lease in 2015. Has any one heard anything?
The deal as I understand it was that Britain authorised the military use of Diego Garcia to the USA for 50 years, expiring in 2016, with a 20 year extension (to 2036) and this extension was meant to have been finalised by the end of 2014.

I don't think any new information has been publicly released yet.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

GibMariner wrote: I don't think any new information has been publicly released yet.
I think you right. They're being very secretive about their super secret tropical island base in the middle of nowhere. :twisted:
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Looks like most of the folks representing which ever side here have been Brits (the main judge was a Somali and the dissenting one an American), do bear in mind which paper the quotes are from:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... os-islands

Now, let me think: The League of Nations ruled on Aland (between Sweden and Finland, for Finland) in 1922.
- lately, also the Netherlands and Germany exchanged land (for it to become accessible) in some river bend.

Anything else that has happened on these lines?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Don’t pretend the UK has any moral high ground here. This is not Gibraltar or the Falklands.

There are no locals waving union jacks. An entire culture were forcibly evicted from their homes and deported and this happened within the last 50 years.

Don’t start equivocating about it. Britain should be bloody ashamed of how the Chagos people have been treated, and the fact it happened so recently makes it unsupportable.

Qwerty
Germany

Post by Qwerty »

The USA should discuss the airbase issue with the Mauritius government and any other related issues.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »