Labour Party

For discussions on politics and current events.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Labour Party

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Jeremy Corbyn is New Labour Leader
Veteran left-wing MP Jeremy Corbyn has been elected leader of the Labour Party.
Mr Corbyn, who began the contest as a rank outsider, saw off a challenge from frontbenchers Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall.
More than 500,000 people were entitled to vote, including many who had signed up at the last minute for £3, with a turnout of 76%.
Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34223157

arfah
Niue

Re: Labour Party

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Re: Jeremy Corbyn is New Labour Leader

Post by Pseudo »

arfah wrote:Conservative Party Headquarters will be pleased.

We need an opposition that is potentially electable or we'll have a governing party implementing its ideals regardless of protest, with impunity.

J.Corbyn is too far left.
I agree completely. Hopefully once Cameron has ragged him up a few times at PMQ's the delusional optimism stuff might start melt away.
e.g. Renationalising the railway. I hardly ever use the train, why would I want to own it?
Rail renationalisation is actually pretty popular across supporters of all parties, but to my mind any political capital that would be gained from it wouldn't last very long because then the government would be blamed for every delay, missed connection and dodgy sandwich.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

Jeeezzzz Hamas and Hezbollah must be celebrating now their "friend" is labour leader , Not sure what the U.S. And Israel will make of it , considering his views on defence which is basically to disarm , disband the armed forces , and not to get involved ,

God help us if this clown ever gets in , labour voters what were you thinking !!!!!!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Why do you think they were labour voters?

A lot of Tories signed up (?) to make the opposition unelectable
... there you have it, repeating "conspiracy theory" has become very fashionable

Unfortunately, we will never know (if it was a ballot in secrecy). If it wasn't, or even at post code level an analysis of votes cast would bring up the North/ South divide, where there was mass mobilisation effectively to send the message " we don't like you lot in the South East". Having said that, North Islington is a country of its own, as you approach the Angel you sort of enter the country again.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Why do you think they were labour voters?

A lot of Tories signed up (?) to make the opposition unelectable
... there you have it, repeating "conspiracy theory" has become very fashionable
Given the size of the victory it's pretty implausible to think that he didn't have serious support within the established party. His support was weakest amongst the actual party membership at 49.6%, but further rounds would have undoubtedly pushed him over 50% there too.
Unfortunately, we will never know (if it was a ballot in secrecy). If it wasn't, or even at post code level an analysis of votes cast would bring up the North/ South divide, where there was mass mobilisation effectively to send the message " we don't like you lot in the South East". Having said that, North Islington is a country of its own, as you approach the Angel you sort of enter the country again.
It wasn't a secret ballot since the ballots were individually identifiable to allow for online voting. Though the problems with fraudulent voting and missing ballots do leave the result open to a legal contest, the size of the victory pretty much rules it out for anyone with any interest in party unity.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:Jeremy Corbyn is New Labour Leader
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen:

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

The tories need to be careful they don't hand Corbyn a victory by making themselves so unpopular with the electorate if they don't keep some of their policies in check.

Stranger things have happened.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Leading Labour to OBLIVION

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Anguish and horror.

I'm not sure the United Kingdom can survive united with Corbyn and SNP around at the same time.

And i don't even want to begin to think what it would be like if this fool was elected into office.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

I honestly think people are massively underestimating this.

There is nothing more suddenly sweeping than an idealistic factless "every man will be a king!" type campaign by the left. Corbyn knows this.

It's how the SNP got this far after all.

This is not a good thing. This is not a good thing at all. Not when we could have had Liz, who was massively more level headed.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Re: RE: Re: Jeremy Corbyn is New Labour Leader

Post by Pseudo »

Gabriele wrote:Anguish and horror.

I'm not sure the United Kingdom can survive united with Corbyn and SNP around at the same time.

And i don't even want to begin to think what it would be like if this fool was elected into office.
Hopefully he'll lose his appeal in the next twelve months because he'll disappoint his most vehement supporters if he compromises some of his stances when they conflict with reality and lose his more moderate supporters if he doesn't make compromises. With any luck he'll be out within eighteen months, perhaps less if he campaigns to leave the EU. Of course, that'll still leave little time to repair the damage that his supporters will have done to the internal workings of the party before the next election. I think that barring a complete meltdown of the Conservatives (which I think is unlikely to say the least) the only chance Labour will have at the next election would be for their next leader to have the charisma and popularity of a 1996-2000 Tony Blair, which doesn't seem likely given the current crop of centrist Labour MP's. :(

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

first people to congratulate him by looks of it were Sein Fein and Gerry Adams

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

RetroSicotte wrote:I honestly think people are massively underestimating this.

There is nothing more suddenly sweeping than an idealistic factless "every man will be a king!" type campaign by the left. Corbyn knows this.

It's how the SNP got this far after all.

This is not a good thing. This is not a good thing at all. Not when we could have had Liz, who was massively more level headed.
Well said. This still has potential to be a disaster. Talk is cheap and the kind of talk Corbyn makes is the kind that people, mostly those 30 and under it seems, lap up like it is going out of fashion...In with the idealism and let realism and rationality be damned...

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

More to come...
"Rachel Reeves, Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions; Tristram Hunt, the Shadow Education Secretary; and Shadow Health minister Jamie Reed quit Labour's front bench after the news."

He (JC) has realised the 80's split could replay. What he is going to (try to) do about it will be revealed by his Shadow Cabinet.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I mean, for instance, who will accept the defence portfolio, and then try to be taken seriously

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

he's already been described as an 80's tribute act!

Diane Abbot for shadow home secretary

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Among those cheering for Corbyn's win, Cristina Kirchner is particularly happy. http://www.cfkargentina.com/argentina-c ... p-victory/
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Diane Abbot did dent the equality agenda a bit when she stated that nurses can't be recruited to the NHS from the continent as they have never "touched a black man"
... and why on earth did she state the gender? ( a second transgression; what will three strikes do these days?)

BTW: As usual, my stories are not made up. but recorded in parliamentary evidence or transcripts

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

The more I read about Jeremy corbyn the more I'm convinced he should be on a watch list and not in a position were he can get he's hands on sensitive intelligence which is important to UK security.

Hamas , Hezbollah call him friend , he's made excuses for Putin and Isis and states he wouldn't take any action against Isis end of ,
he was Russia's number 1 candidate on their wish list for the labour leadership and one day they hope number 10 to , he blames NATO for the Ukraine conflict and states the UK should show more respect to Russia ,,,,,,,

He backed Iraqi insurgents right to kill British service personnel , and was against the Falklands war no wonder Cristina kirchner was cheering for him , then there's Gerry Adams jumping on the phone to be the first to congratulate him , and the fact he wants to drop all imagration action , basically turning the UK into a the worlds largest refugee camp .

Talk about the enemy with in ,,,,,,,

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

At least 'New Labour' is now officially dead. ;)

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

SKB wrote:At least 'New Labour' is now officially dead. ;)
Yes now we have 'New Old Labour'. Brilliant... :roll:

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

New Labour died when Ed Miliband beat his brother in the 2010 leadership contest. Though as long as Corbyn's cronies don't do irreparable damage the progressive left will cycle back around.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Pseudo wrote:
New Labour died when Ed Miliband beat his brother in the 2010 leadership contest. Though as long as Corbyn's cronies don't do irreparable damage the progressive left will cycle back around.
Corbyn is the so called 'progressive left' and i don't know about you, but they terrify me! :)

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Corbyn is the so called 'progressive left' and i don't know about you, but they terrify me! :)
No, he's not. His particular brand of radical left thinking seems to embrace social progressivism, but that's different in meaning from the progressive left. Social progressivism tends toward the sort of Diane Abbot style social justice warrior reactionary whataboutery that gives the left a bad name, whereas the progressive left is based around the provision of a strong welfare state, support of collective bargaining and regulation of the economy in the general interest within the framework of a capitalist economy.