Labour Party

For discussions on politics and current events.
~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Re: Jeremy Corbyn is New Labour Leader

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Pseudo wrote:
~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
SKB wrote:At least 'New Labour' is now officially dead. ;)
New Labour died when Ed Miliband beat his brother in the 2010 leadership contest. Though as long as Corbyn's cronies don't do irreparable damage the progressive left will cycle back around.
Corbyn is the so called 'progressive left' and i don't know about you, but they terrify me! :)
No, he's not. His particular brand of radical left thinking seems to embrace social progressivism, but that's different in meaning from the progressive left. Social progressivism tends toward the sort of Diane Abbot style social justice warrior reactionary whataboutery that gives the left a bad name, whereas the progressive left is based around the provision of a strong welfare state, support of collective bargaining and regulation of the economy in the general interest within the framework of a capitalist economy.
It would seem i may have my definitions wrong then. As you say, Cobryn certainly seems to equally represent the type of politics you have associated Abbot with or rather that he at least represents a figurehead that those of that particular, progressive persuasion (seemingly consisting, in particular, of vast numbers of the electorate under the age of 30 - most of whom do not even seem to be card carrying party members of any description) can rally around.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

I tempted on laying a bet that George Galloway will be a shadow cabinet minister :twisted:
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

China welcomes the news of Comrade Corbyn's election

;)

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

arfah wrote:I tempted on laying a bet that George Galloway will be a shadow cabinet minister :twisted:
Given that he's neither a sitting MP nor a member of the Labour party, I doubt that.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Did anyone else catch the new Deputy Leader on the Marr Show this morning? It seems not even he agrees with Corbyn over scrapping Trident and leaving NATO.

arfah
Niue

Re: Labour Party

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Re: RE: Re: Jeremy Corbyn is New Labour Leader

Post by Pseudo »

raven111 wrote:
arfah wrote:I tempted on laying a bet that George Galloway will be a shadow cabinet minister :twisted:
Given that he's neither a sitting MP nor a member of the Labour party, I doubt that.
It's not going to happen because readmitting Galloway to the party and putting him in any sort of position of power would be an undeniably strong signal that Corbyn plans for the party to jump off the deep end in to the Trot pond.

Having said that, he could become a cabinet minister if he were made a Lord, and Lord Galloway of Gobshite does have a certain ring to it. :)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

I do wonder what will happen when the leader of the opposition has to be briefed with intelligence material I suspect corbyn will blab it

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Corbyn has appointed his final Shadow Cabinet minister: the pro-Trident Maria Eagle as Shadow Defence Secretary.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Jeremy Corbyn is New Labour Leader

Post by Pseudo »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:Corbyn has appointed his final Shadow Cabinet minister: the pro-Trident Maria Eagle as Shadow Defence Secretary.
As far as I know I'm the only member of the Labour Party on this site. I've been a member for twenty years. After recent events I think that I can give Corbyn the benefit of the doubt until PMQ's on Wednesday, if only because after so long I feel a lingering sense of loyalty to the party. I know a few councillors who feel the same way.

I'm not planning on going the following way myself due to their unilateralist tendencies on nuclear weapons, but I bet Tim Farron didn't realise how little effort he'd have to put in to revitalising the fortunes of his party.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

I've read corbyn as been told to tone down his views in public to try to keep members happy ,
I'd personally never vote for some one like him never , voting labour blindly with out taking into account what that could mean for this country if this clown ever got in is crazy tbh , he's a threat to our country and to every thing I believe in , and no matter how much political spin or how much labour spends on a media pr campaign to tell me different , corbyns past and his views are everywhere to be read , personally I can't stand him , and labour voters I know have been telling me the same , bad move labour .

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

^ Good video.
He won't even last as party leader to see the next Queen's speech imo.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:
I'm afraid this is just the tip of the ice burge when it comes to the views of this ,,,,,,,,

Add to this he donated money to a organisation of holocaust deniers.
Backs the right of murderous , torturing , child/women rapist terrorist to kill British service personnel .
Made it clear he wouldn't of lifted a finger to help the people of the Falklands after the argentine invasion even though those people were in the hands of a murderious regime.
He's also a outright standing supporter of a United Ireland , and has Had numerous private meetings with Gerry Adams and other leading members of sien fein , ira , going back many years and well before the Northern Ireland peace talks .

The list goes on and on and on ,,,,,,,,,

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Even if he tones down his positions and claims now, who can trust him as prime minister knowing what his actual sentiments are, and nit knowing how they might afflict the country if he ever got into power? We shall see how he does from now on, but he has already shown an amazing ability at horrifying me every few things he says.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

Not sure how you can take someone seriously as a party leader when they believe in the magical healing powers of water:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Seriously. Start a poll in this thread. 'Is Jeremy Corbyn fit to be Prime Minister?' Yes, No, Undecided. ;)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

wonder has today been his "Donkey Jacket" moment suspect it'll be white poppies in november

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Re: RE: Re: Jeremy Corbyn is New Labour Leader

Post by Pseudo »

marktigger wrote:wonder has today been his "Donkey Jacket" moment suspect it'll be white poppies in november
The way things are going he might not last until November. I think things will start unravelling pretty quickly if he doesn't do well at PMQ's tomorrow.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

I suspect the party conference could be interesting!

I really want to see him have a tantrum like he did on C4 news

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

:lol: :lol: So according to the Huffington post If Corbyn is elected Prime minister the army will mutiny and have a coup to remove him :lol: :lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09 ... 66050.html

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

marktigger wrote::lol: :lol: So according to the Huffington post If Corbyn is elected Prime minister the army will mutiny and have a coup to remove him :lol: :lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09 ... 66050.html

Truth is if Corbyn was elected prime minister there wouldn't be a army to mutiny , or a RAF or Royal Navy ,,,,,,, but the carriers will be used but not in the way expected , he will use them to bring in 100s of thousands immigrants and and wash away what remains of our British identity and our way of life.