Labour Party

For discussions on politics and current events.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Labour Party

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Pseudo wrote: I don't know if that's going to be all that successful in the short-term leading up to the election
It's now or never that there is disillusionment among former SNP voters and their votes are up for grabs
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Pseudo wrote: I don't know if that's going to be all that successful in the short-term leading up to the election
It's now or never that there is disillusionment among former SNP voters and their votes are up for grabs
I don't see that. I think that if Salmond's new vehicle sticks around and he ends up in the Scottish Parliament then there could easily end up being some very public strife between different wings of the independence movement which could disillusion a lot of the less passionately secessionist SNP supporters, but it'll take a few years for that sort of thing to really bed in enough to make Labour competitive again.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

"GET OUT OF MY PUB!"

(The Telegraph) 19th April 2021
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has been told to leave a pub in Bath by its landlord while on a walkabout in the city.

The landlord shouted "that man is not allowed in my pub" and "get out of my pub" as Sir Keir, wearing a black face mask, walked out of the door, with the incident captured on camera by reporters.

It comes just days after a YouGov poll put Labour 14 percentage points behind the Tories - the biggest gap since this time last year.
:lol: :clap: :mrgreen:

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Particularly odd as it was an arranged visit (organised by the joint owner)
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Caribbean wrote:Particularly odd as it was an arranged visit (organised by the joint owner)
Someone ended up looking like a prick there and I don't think that it was Keir Starmer.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

The pub landlord is clearly a conspiracy theorist loon. Which explains the village idiot's approval.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

If one cannot speak without getting out of breath, then there's clearly something wrong. Barring people from entering: an interesting topic in itself... but perhaps not for this thread
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Shadow Defence Secretary writes that Labour warned Russia was the biggest threat. Also, hates the Indo-Pacific tilt while ignore Labour's foreign adventures in non-NATO regions.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-spending

jedibeeftrix

Post by jedibeeftrix »

It's possible John Healey has given the matter a great deal of consideration - and draws upon a deep well of hitherto unannounced FP expertise - when he concludes the IR was wrong to pursue the IP 'tilt'...

...but i doubt it.
These users liked the author jedibeeftrix for the post:
TSharpe28

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Perhaps he can stand as a PLO candidate?

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

A re-shuffle. Just not much of one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66707569

Does anyone remember Emily Thornberry as Shadow Defence? Blink and you would have missed it. She was undertaking a thorough review of defence - especially CASD. She took over responsibility for the review from Red Ken Livingston under Comrade Corby. I wish I was making this up.
These users liked the author 2HeadsBetter for the post (total 2):
mrclark303jedibeeftrix

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

2HeadsBetter wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 20:25 A re-shuffle. Just not much of one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66707569

Does anyone remember Emily Thornberry as Shadow Defence? Blink and you would have missed it. She was undertaking a thorough review of defence - especially CASD. She took over responsibility for the review from Red Ken Livingston under Comrade Corby. I wish I was making this up.
Welcome to the next government ..... 😵‍💫😵‍💫😣