KUWAIT

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
SKB
England

KUWAIT

Post by SKB »

Kuwait @ Google Maps: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Kuw ... d2!6m1!1e1

Capital and largest city: Kuwait City
Official languages: Arabic
Ethnic groups: 60% Arab (31.3% Kuwaiti, 27.9% other Arabs), 37.8% Asian, 1.9% African
Religion: Islam
Demonym: Kuwaiti
Government: Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional monarchy
- Emir Sabah al-Sabah
- Crown Prince Nawaf al-Sabah
- Prime Minister Jaber al-Sabah
Legislature: National Assembly
Establishment:
- Independence from the Emirate of Al Hasa 1752
- Anglo-Ottoman Convention 1913
- End of treaties with the United Kingdom 19 June 1961
Area: 17,820 km2 (157th) 6,880 sq mi
Population:
- 2014 estimate 4,044,500 (140th)
- 2005 census 2,213,403 [2]
- Density 200.2/km2 (61st) 518.4/sq mi
GDP (PPP): 2014 estimate
- Total $283.976 billion[3] (52nd)
- Per capita $71,020[3] (5th)
GDP (nominal): 2014 estimate
- Total $172.350 billion[3] (55th)
- Per capita $43,103[3] (23rd)
HDI (2013): Decrease 0.814 (very high · 46th)
Currency: Kuwaiti dinar (KWD)
Time zone: AST / KSA (UTC+3)
- Summer (DST) not observed (UTC+3)
Date format: dd/mm/yyyy (CE)
Drives on the: right
Calling code: +965
ISO 3166 code: KW
Internet TLD: .kw

SKB
England

Re: KUWAIT

Post by SKB »

Kuwait has ordered 28 Eurofighter Typhoons
https://www.eurofighter.com/news-and-ev ... r-typhoons

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

JayDee
United Kingdom

Post by JayDee »

Good news soon the entire middle east will have the typhoon who next bahrain?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

The news from Kuwait is good news certainly, but - cup half empty time - will these really be a new order or will Italy be looking to offset these 28 against their own tranche 3 order?

Either way, a welcome bit of good news for the consortium.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

2HeadsBetter wrote:The news from Kuwait is good news certainly, but - cup half empty time - will these really be a new order or will Italy be looking to offset these 28 against their own tranche 3 order?

Either way, a welcome bit of good news for the consortium.

The article mentions they are more than likely to be new build Trance 3 airframes and a sizable weapons package might also be included in the deal (good news for MBDA if so). Finmeccanica claims it will receive about 50% of the profit from the deal and that it will be in charge of assembly. I'd say it’s looking likely that these will not be hand-me-downs.

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

No I didn't mean "hand me downs," I meant that Italy might want to knock these 28 off their own order for tranche 3s.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

2HeadsBetter wrote:No I didn't mean "hand me downs," I meant that Italy might want to knock these 28 off their own order for tranche 3s.
I mean that too, perhaps a confusing choice of phrase on my part. Apologies.

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

Still plodding along. The Kuwaiti govt. has approved a withdrawal of $500 mln from the state's reserve fund to begin payment for the Typhoons (IIRC, the total value of the contract is supposed to be ~$8 bln).
Kuwait's parliament approves $500 mln towards Eurofighter deal
Source: Reuters - Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:03 GMT
Author: Reuters

DUBAI, March 1 (Reuters) - Kuwait's parliament approved a draft law on Tuesday allowing the government to make an advance payment of 150 million dinars ($500 million) as part of a Eurofighter jets deal agreed last year, state news agency KUNA reported.

http://news.trust.org/item/20160301160641-d1wjx

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

That fund took quite a knock after rebuilding what Saddam destroyed:
- $110 bn before, and $40 bn after

Must be one of the very few currencies that have disappeared, and then made a comeback (when the state was reinstated).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »