Cyprus SBA - Sovereign Base Areas

Discuss current, historical or potential future deployments, as well the defence of the UK's overseas interests.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Cyprus SBA - Sovereign Base Areas

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Smokey wrote:Bell 412's in Cyprus. Contractor owned. RAF pays for the flight hours and then bills the M.O.D.
Dahedd wrote: seems a tad wasteful.
Might be the contrary as they are supplied under COMAR (is that a serviced lease?) by FB Heliservices
"in January 2003, No 84 finally ended Wessex operations with the retirement of the last four of the type in RAF service. They have been replaced by Search and Rescue-equipped Griffin HAR2s.
-They have a variable speed winch and an additional array of radios for maritime uses, together with mods for overwater operations

84 Sqn's role in Cyprus is primarily to provide Search and Rescue cover for visiting fast jet Squadrons, though similar cover is also provided for civilian incidents within the Cyprus area of responsibility, involving shipping or land incidents. This is a very large area, extending half way to Crete, Turkey, Egypt and the Lebanon. As a secondary role, 84 Squadron carry out Support Helicopter tasking for both resident and visiting British Forces."

My first thought was the commonality with the UN UNICYP support flight, but they actually operate Bell 212s
- it is an Argentine Flight, btw
- no, not within our "wire" as things used to be when the support was by Brit Sioux and Whirlwind whirlie birds
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Smokey
Cyprus

Post by Smokey »

Argentina's helicopter flight for UNFICYP is operated by their Ejercito and consists of a Bell 212 and two Hughes 500's.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Wait, Argentina has helicopters? :o

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Not anymore ;) as they are all based out of the Nicosia ex-airport. :D

But wait for it: The UN MP contingent is commanded by a British Major and it includes an Argentine contingent
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces TV) 30th July 2018
Troops from the Queen Elizabeths' Own Royal Lancers have been getting to grips with peacekeeping duties as part of one of the longest running United Nations missions. Operation TOSCA is the British contribution to a multinational force that has been in place since 1974.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces TV) 3 Jan 2019
It has been 44-years since a bitter civil war in Cyprus divided its capital. One building caught in the crossfire of the conflict was the Ledra Palace Hotel, which is now used as a barracks in the midst of the 112-mile-long buffer zone. It was once the only five-star hotel in Cyprus, welcoming the likes of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.

Qwerty
Germany

Post by Qwerty »

Point to note:

The Buffer Zone is not a designated Sovereign Base Area.
The BZ is sovereign territory of the Republic of Cyprus but controlled by UNFICYP.

Ledra Palace Hotel is a shìte-hole.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

GibMariner wrote:RAF Akrotiri:Written question - 42072

Asked by Mr Nigel Evans
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what his long-term plans are for the operation and use of RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus.
Answered by: Penny Mordaunt
RAF Akrotiri has performed a vital strategic function in support of operations over many years and continues to fulfil that function today including in support of operations in Iraq and Syria. We expect RAF Akrotiri to remain an essential element of the UK's overseas presence for years to come.
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... -06/42072/
UN SG 2018 report points out:
"security environment on and around the island was marked by heightened activity
surrounding the exploration for natural gas reserves in the exclusive economic zone
of Cyprus, compounding mutual suspicion among relevant stakeholders."
- so it is not quite clear to me why the UN shuld stay there to police their fight over the "monies"
- it is not such a big investment (under 1000 heads by now), but sets a bad example by becoming permanent and letting local stakeholders play all kinds of brinkmanship, to maximise their "wallet"

When the Kofi Annan plan did not pass, the UN should have packed its bags
- as there is a sizeable UK contingent on the DZ, the probability of getting drawn in - whatever the mishap turns out to be - will be higher than being 'holed up' in the SBAs
- sure, for the latter: we pay. For the former: everyone (in the world) pays

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces TV) 25th June 2019
Every few weeks, fuel tankers chartered by the Ministry of Defence sail to the Akrotiri coastline from the UK. Each ship carries large amounts of aviation fuel - vital to keeping all jets, transport aircraft and helicopters flying. We were granted special access into how aircraft at RAF Akrotiri are kept fuelled and ready for operations.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces TV) 16 July 2019
When 2nd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment head home from Cyprus this month they will be saying goodbye not just to Alexander Barracks but also their Commanding Officer. In a day of bittersweet celebration, the Poachers staged a traditional send-off ceremony for Lieutenant Colonel Bruce Weston, with an added - top secret - twist.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces TV) 11th August 2020
Crews from the Royal Air Force's search and rescue unit in Cyprus spent the weekend tackling two large fires. Four crews dropped 60 tonnes of water, with some personnel doing seven-hour shifts to fight the first blaze on Saturday. Local reports said nearly 200 people were involved in helping to put out the fire, including the helicopter crews from 84 Squadron based at RAF Akrotiri, police and the national guard.

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

As I understand it there are still circa 9 Typhoons operating out of Akrotiri in support of Op Shader. Does anyone know whether consideration has been given to keeping some or all there when Shader finally comes to an end? Personally, I'd be minded to permanently have six or so based there in light of the significant nearby Russian aviation presence, the constant possibility of us wanting to conduct strikes in the Middle East at short notice and the training / see the world opportunities created. However, what I don't know is how viable that would be in terms of available airframes, maintenance requirements and strain on personnel or their families (although in respect of the latter I doubt Cyprus is usually considered a hardship posting but just don't know).
These users liked the author Phil Sayers for the post:
wargame_insomniac

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

I agree. Cyprus will be ever more important if the pivot East of Suez actually happens. UK also has airbase in Qatar and IIRC use of bases in UAE and Oman.

If LSG(S) finally is formed, then will need aircover. I agree that will be invaluable to have RAF squadron in East Med covering Syria and Suez Canal etc.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

I doubt it, i don't see the point. There hasn't been aircraft there full time for years (bar SAR).

The camp isn't really set up for full time operations, as in all posted out there on a overseas accompanied tour. The camp needs quite a bit of money spending on it.

I doubt it's anything anyone is pushing for.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

topman wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 21:18 I doubt it, i don't see the point. There hasn't been aircraft there full time for years (bar SAR).

The camp isn't really set up for full time operations, as in all posted out there on a overseas accompanied tour. The camp needs quite a bit of money spending on it.

I doubt it's anything anyone is pushing for.
One could argue there is already a permanent FJ Sqn there. Has been since 2013. Shader (in name) may end but I can't see the typh det gong anywhere.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

I was more thinking of flying but not on operations and the changes required if you were to have everyone on an accompanied tour etc.