American General Joins the Ranks

News and discussion threads concerning defence personnel and their units.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

A senior US Army officer has spoken of his pride at being the first American General to serve within a British Army division.

Brigadier General Mike Tarsa joins 3rd (UK) Division to become the formation’s first American Deputy Commander. The brand new post has been established as part of a plan to tighten relations between the British and US militaries.

Addressing the staff at a welcome ceremony at the Division’s Headquarters in Bulford Camp, Wiltshire, Brigadier General Tarsa said: “This is a distinct honour and I couldn’t be more delighted to be stood here abrest with you.

“I wear my nation’s uniform as a member of the US Army, but I now have the privilege to be part of the British Army and 3rd United Kingdom Division. I hope to serve both with great distinction and I’m proud to be stood here in your ranks.”

[...]

The General Officer Commanding 3rd (UK) Division, Major General Patrick Sanders, told the assembled troops: “We’re enormously privileged to welcome Mike to 3rd Division – the first deputy commander of any British Division, and our first American deputy commander.”

And he offered some practical advice to his new American colleague, adding: “We may use cricket analogies to explain ourselves, one hundred miles is a long way to us, banter is a sign of affection not disrespect, and don’t worry if you can’t always understand our regional accents.”
Read More: http://www.army.mod.uk/news/27971.aspx

arfah
Niue

Re: American General Joins the Ranks

Post by arfah »

-<>-<>-<>-
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Re: American General Joins the Ranks

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Interesting initiative. I wish him all the best and a pleasant time with 3rd Division.