The Red Arrows (RAF Aerobatic Team)

News and discussion threads concerning defence personnel and their units.
SKB
England

The Red Arrows (RAF Aerobatic Team)

Post by SKB »

The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows, has completed overseas training ahead of the 2015 season. The Squadron - which flies Hawk T1 fast-jets - is seen here in Greece performing some of the moves which will be watched by hundred of thousands of people across the UK and overseas this year. The team was awarded Public Display Authority on 30 April 2015, which is the formal start of the the Red Arrows' season.

Squadron Leader David Montenegro, new Red 1, explains the feeling of passing his first Public Display Authority as the Team Leader. He explains the next step in the process and what he is most looking forward to in the 2015 display season.

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Re: The Red Arrows (RAF Aerobatic Team)

Post by WhitestElephant »

Will the Red Arrows eventually transition to T2? Considering the T1s will be retired over the coming years.

Any further orders for T2?
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

WhitestElephant wrote:Will the Red Arrows eventually transition to T2? Considering the T1s will be retired over the coming years.

Any further orders for T2?
I believe a better question might be, "Will the Red Arrows eventually transition to real airplanes?" :D

"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . ."

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

I've always thought the angels and thunderbirds shows were a bit.....sterile.

But then I don't get a boner at an airshow, so meh.

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

downsizer wrote:I've always thought the angels and thunderbirds shows were a bit.....sterile.

But then I don't get a boner at an airshow, so meh.
Cannot agree with that, the Blue Angels are anything but sterile.

Unfortunately the RAF cannot afford to transition the Red Arrows to a top tier fighter desertswo. We will be lucky to see them transition to Hawk T2 as is... as it looks like there may be no more Hawk T2s ordered and the T1s will be retired soon.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The Red Arrows are an aerobatic display team which require small nimble agile aircraft for their unique and highly complex manoeuvres. The BAe Hawk fits the Red Arrows needs perfectly. Having recently watched a TV documentary which featured the 'Reds' performing against (and with) with three other different aerobatic teams (Canada's Snowbirds, USN Blue Angels, USAF Thunderbirds), the Red Arrows had a very different style to all three other teams and performed much more unique and exciting displays, even more impressive considering there are NINE Red Arrows too.

Recent Channel 5 documentary: "Danger Men - Red Arrows"

Part 1/6

Part 2/6

Part 3/6

Part 4/6

Part 5/6

Part 6/6

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

A quartet of the Red Arrows, performing arguably their most dangerous manoeuvre, the 'Gypo Break'.

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I was yanking your collective chains!

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

@desertswo
LOL I laughed when I saw your earlier post. Nothing wrong in a bit of fun.

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

bobp wrote:@desertswo
LOL I laughed when I saw your earlier post. Nothing wrong in a bit of fun.
That's what I thought. Who knew? Not to go too far OT, back in '94 I was operating my ship out of NAS Pensacola, Florida while we were training the Egyptian Navy to take possession of her (it's now called "Damyat"). The Blue Angels spend the winter months training at NAF El Centro, California, but for the summer air show season they stage out of and practice at Pensacola. So every day we were in port we'd saunter topside at 10:00 AM with our coffee and cokes and watch a free air show taking place over Pensacola Bay. My chair on the port bridge wing was the best seat in the house. It was great because they'd occasionally break routine and do something just a bit outrageous. Like so:

May not look like much, but when the pull up and climb out maneuver commences only a few hundred meters off one's port side and the airplane passes some 50 to 100 meters over the aforementioned chair on the bridge wing, one achieves a whole new appreciation for "life in the fast lane."

Actually, my favorite Blue Angels aren't even the Navy and Marine Corps aviators flying the Hornets, but the Marine Corps folks flying the aerial spare parts bin lovingly known as "Fat Albert."

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Red Arrows get a new team member....
Seagull photobombs a display. :mrgreen:

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Only the Red Arrows were permitted to fly today for the Queen's flypast due to bad weather:

This was planned:

Some shots of it being rehearsed:

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

the thunderbirds and angels aircraft aren't "real" aircraft either I seam to remember reading it would take 6-10 months work to return them to operational standard. the Reds Hawks used to be wiled to carry AiM9l as last ditch airdefence

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

New series.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

487 types of aircraft flown in one career - a stunt that beats even the Red Arrows:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

[quote="arfah"]11 OCT 15

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

^^^^The fucking spotters have been going spastic over that!

Proper makes me laugh... :D :lol:

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

I was at Scamption this week, they did seem to be a bit less full on than previous years, it made me wonder if it was in response to the Shoreham air show disaster
@LandSharkUK