South Korea

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: South Korea

Post by Timmymagic »

Not the first rumour I've seen but its looking increasingly like South Korea will abandon plans for an aircraft carrier.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

So the South Korean Government is assuming that China will not get involved in any future conflict with the DPRK.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Lord Jim wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 01:08 So the South Korean Government is assuming that China will not get involved in any future conflict with the DPRK.

I think they are assuming if China does its going to be over land rather than water

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

That is still a dangerous assumption for them to make in my opinion.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Lord Jim wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 00:01 That is still a dangerous assumption for them to make in my opinion.

100% agree but budgets dictate what you can hope to do.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Yep, but I wonder how South Korea would deal with a PRC amphibious assault on a multi-divisional scale behind the front lines. I know they have large reserves but could these handle it?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

Curious. Many sources were commenting that Budget 2023 funding had been witheld for CVX and that South Korea was moving towards investing it's funds instead in it's submarine fleet.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... se-budget/

https://news.usni.org/2022/09/01/south- ... e-strategy

https://eurasiantimes.com/aircraft-carr ... aft-india/

Maybe Hyundai is hoping that the South Korean government will change it's mind if the CVX is kept in the public eye?

xav

Post by xav »

[VIDEO] Overview of the HD Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) stand at MADEX 2023 🇰🇷
➡️ KDDX next gen destroyer
➡️ HCX-23 concept UxV mothership
➡️ FFX Batch III frigate
➡️ KDX III Batch II AEGIS destroyer
➡️ CVX aircraft carrier
These users liked the author xav for the post (total 2):
serge750js44

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Timmymagic wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 17:27 Not the first rumour I've seen but its looking increasingly like South Korea will abandon plans for an aircraft carrier.

IMHO, they don't need an aircraft carrier ( except for competition with Japan ). Nuclear weapons, on the other hand...
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

xav

Post by xav »

ROK Navy and industry full steam ahead with MUM-T concept

These users liked the author xav for the post (total 2):
Tempest414serge750

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

South Korea has ordered an additional 25 F35a aircraft for 5.06 billion dollars

https://www.dsca.mil/sites/default/file ... 5%20CN.pdf

A gd indicator of what our top up order is likely costing with f35b being more expensive it’s probably not far off the dollar price in pounds at current exchange rates

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

So you are saying that F35A or B have more than doubled in (dollar) price, since our earlier purchases are you? How do you explain that; when with increased production rates, they were in fact reducing in price. Effects of Russia’s “Special Operation”? or perhaps “COVID”? Neither would account for a doubling of the US price. Now if you are suggesting the change in the sterling/dollar exchange rate is a consideration for us, then of course it is, but it would still not explain the increased price in US Dollars.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Scimitar54 wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 18:53 So you are saying that F35A or B have more than doubled in (dollar) price, since our earlier purchases are you? How do you explain that; when with increased production rates, they were in fact reducing in price. Effects of Russia’s “Special Operation”? or perhaps “COVID”? Neither would account for a doubling of the US price. Now if you are suggesting the change in the sterling/dollar exchange rate is a consideration for us, then of course it is, but it would still not explain the increased price in US Dollars.
What are you on about?

Im copying a foreign military sale issued yesterday so it gives current pricing I’m not suggesting anything.

The B veritable is about 15-20% more expensive than the A variant and the current exchange rate is is about 1.25 dollars to the pound so the a variant in dollars is not a million miles away from the b variant in pounds.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

This will be interesting to see what develops. But I'm expecting the Seahawk to get up

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Given the NH-90's problems, I'll be impressed if this is a serious competition (and not one to help get a good deal on Seahawks)

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://defence-blog.com/south-korea-to ... ing-plane/

The heart of this AEW&C solution lies in the battle-tested L3Harris platform design utilizing Bombardier’s Global 6500 high-altitude business jet. Integrated with IAI/ELTA’s advanced radar technology and artificial intelligence algorithms, this platform stands as the world’s most advanced airborne battle management system. The Global 6500, a modern aircraft with superior specifications, promises higher altitude, speed, endurance, and cost-efficiency compared to existing AEW&C platforms.

Mark Kobussen, Managing Director, Strategic Collection & Targeting Programs at L3Harris, emphasizes the team’s thorough evaluation of future special mission requirements for the Republic of Korea. The Global 6500’s selection for the program was decisive, considering its compatibility with other missions like Stand-Off Jammer and ISTAR.