Great P-38 vid

For everything that doesn't fit elsewhere; literature, movies, video games - whatever you desire.
GastonGlocker
United States of America

Great P-38 vid

Post by GastonGlocker »

Nicely done:

arfah
Niue

Re: Great P-38 vid

Post by arfah »

Very interesting, GG. Thanks.

Every time I Think of a P38, I think of "Glacier Girl"
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

GastonGlocker
United States of America

Post by GastonGlocker »

You're welcome. The P-38 was better suited to the PTO but I do recall, and for the life me cannot find the story online, an incident in the Italian theatre where a P-38 pilot rescued his wingman by landing and picking him up. The ground crews were quite surprised naturally. I'm sure the ride back was a bit awkward as well. Beats POW status I guess.

That said, here's some good reading on the PTO:

http://www.flightjournal.com/blog/2012/ ... -the-aces/

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

It's also the pursuit fighter that assassinated Admiral Yamamoto.

Not bad
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

GastonGlocker wrote:You're welcome. The P-38 was better suited to the PTO but I do recall, and for the life me cannot find the story online, an incident in the Italian theatre where a P-38 pilot rescued his wingman by landing and picking him up. The ground crews were quite surprised naturally. I'm sure the ride back was a bit awkward as well. Beats POW status I guess.
I haven't heard/read of a -38 doing that, but there was a -51 that landed in Germany and successfully picked up a downed pilot.
They had to abandon their parachutes though, to both fit into the cockpit.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Totally unrelated to the P-38 (but not to the narrative above), the Roumanians (once they had surrendered) flew one American POW to Italy by removing the guns from a fighter and put him into the void, instead. The USAAF had flown massive sorties out of Italy in an attempt to take out the rest of the Ploesti oilfields supplying the Axis, and about 500 of their downed airmen were held in Romania, by that time guarded by the Germans.

With the detailed briefing about where they were being held, and by whom, it became possible to launch the rescue.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Totally unrelated to the P-38 (but not to the narrative above), the Roumanians (once they had surrendered) flew one American POW to Italy by removing the guns from a fighter and put him into the void, instead.
That would have been an interesting flight!

Similar to the Bf-109's that were flown out of North Africa to Sicily, with one and sometimes two(!) ground crewmen in the rear fuselage!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

It was worthwhile as well as the Americans then mounted a rescue for 500 of their downed airmen (who had been bombimg the Ploesti oilfields), once they knew where they were being held. Otherwise those 500 POWs would have ended in Germany plenty quick (Germans pulling out after Roumania had switched sides).
OK, back to the P38 now...
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)