Spain

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Spain

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Spain's " position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?" No wonder you posted this particular news piece:
" patrol vessels are 96 meters long and displace 2,500 tones. They accommodate a crew of 86 and have a SH 60B ‘Seahawk’ helicopter embarked[?].

The Spanish Navy intends to operate a total of nine vessels in the class.

Furor and its crew will be joining other vessels in its class in combating terrorist and piracy activities, drug interdiction and prevention of human trafficking. The ships also contribute to maritime rescue and salvage operations, humanitarian assistance, and fisheries and pollution control."

NATO is almost like a high school (err, American term) class: you will always find the same type of characters sitting in the back row, doing absolutely nothing, but being part of the conversation in not-so-constructive terms, anyway :D
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Spain's " position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?" No wonder you posted this particular news piece:
" patrol vessels are 96 meters long and displace 2,500 tones. They accommodate a crew of 86 and have a SH 60B ‘Seahawk’ helicopter embarked[?].

The Spanish Navy intends to operate a total of nine vessels in the class.

Furor and its crew will be joining other vessels in its class in combating terrorist and piracy activities, drug interdiction and prevention of human trafficking. The ships also contribute to maritime rescue and salvage operations, humanitarian assistance, and fisheries and pollution control."

NATO is almost like a high school (err, American term) class: you will always find the same type of characters sitting in the back row, doing absolutely nothing, but being part of the conversation in not-so-constructive terms, anyway :D
Must say that I really don't get it what do you want to say? What's wrong if I have put the news about commissioning of OPV in Spanish Navy?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I must agree, I think ACC must be under the influence as He (or She) seems to be almost reverting to Elizabethan English in some of the recent comments posted. To say they are obscure is being polite, and some need reporting to the Plain English Society. Please bring back the old ACC we all understand and appreciate. :)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Lord Jim wrote:Elizabethan English
Ohh-no! Now the intricate cover I have constructed on the Brexit thread - I'm not :lol: Moggio's main speech writer - has been totally blown :cry:
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

matt00773
United Kingdom

Post by matt00773 »

Spain to join the FCAS combat jet program headed by Germany and France. I was sure there were comments a couple of months ago that Spain might join the UK programme.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190211-sp ... at-fighter

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

matt00773 wrote:Spain to join the FCAS combat jet program headed by Germany and France. I was sure there were comments a couple of months ago that Spain might join the UK programme.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190211-sp ... at-fighter
This latest development gives them an excuse to drag their heels with JSF (which they can't afford) and keep angling for workshare as per
"In a December statement, Spain's defence ministry said it was "convinced that the two programmes would end up merging, given the huge investment needed in their development."["]

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Spanish Government authorised 4,4 bln. euros for construction of 5 new frigates of F-110 class:

https://navaltoday.com/2019/04/02/spain ... -frigates/

A bit expencive, 850+ mil. euros ( 740 mil. pounds ) per ship, don't you think? Or you think that development costs are included?

inch

Post by inch »

Is that expensive now (750m£) For this type of ship ? Weren't type 45 1 BN each ( I know they were destroyers ) but type 26 frigates are 8 BN for 8 ships I think could be wrong, so maybe it's ok price ?

inch

Post by inch »

And further to that isn't the spec going to be quite good as compared to a type 26 ,radar speed etc and maybe weapons fit out also ,who knows on that one ?

xav

Post by xav »

Spain Approved Funding for Construction of new F-110 Frigates for the Spanish Navy
The Spanish Council of Ministers approved the EUR 4.3 billion funding for the construction of five new F-110 frigates for the Spanish Navy on March 29. The new frigates will be built by Spanish shipbuilder Navantia.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... nish-navy/

Up to date scale model... note that the gun looks very much like an Italian 127mm... no more Mk 45 ?

xav

Post by xav »

And now the production contract has been signed

NAVANTIA signs F-110 Frigates Construction Contract with Spanish MoD
The construction of 5 frigates will guarantee a stable and sufficient workload in the next 10 years. • The program will involve the modernization and technological development of Ferrol shipyard, placing it within the framework of Industry 4.0 promoted by the Government of Spain.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... anish-mod/

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

SKB wrote:
Meh, Ukraine is very far from Spain... :think:

xav

Post by xav »

Navantia Reports on the Progress of the S-80 Submarine Program
Acting Spanish Minister of Defense, Margarita Robles, visited Navantia's Cartagena shipyard this week, where she has been shown the current progress of the S80 submarine program, a priority to meet the needs of Spain's national defense strategy.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... e-program/

xav

Post by xav »

Spanish Navy’s LPD Galicia Tasked with Covid-19 Relief Mission
The Spanish Ministry of Defence has asked the Spanish Navy (Armada Española) to activate the Galicia (L51) landing platform dock (LPD) to support the medical capability of the autonomous city of Mellila in the fight against the Covid-19 epidemic.
The two ships of the class, the Galicia and Castilla, have an hospital capacity of 10 and 12 beds.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... f-mission/

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Spain receives Eurofighter bid for 20 more 'Tranche 4' Typhoons to replace their oldest F-18s.

Also looking to buy 20-30 more Typhoons in the late 2020s.
...in the second half of this decade, another 50 F-18 models located in Torrejón and Zaragoza remain to be replaced. " We consider that they will be replaced by a block of between 20 and 30 Eurofighter, it will not be a one-to-one replacement, since the new fighters have better capabilities . And we also have to be prepared for the possibility of competition from US models or other nationalities, "added the manager.
Source (in Spanish):
https://www.elconfidencial.com/empresas ... otoneraWeb

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

I doubt Boeing will let that one go so easily, however political considerations due to FCAS would probably end up overruling all

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

The program #Halcon is meant to replace the Spanish Air Force legacy F-18s based in the Canary Islands with new #Eurofighter, enhancing capabilities, maintaining a strategic industrial environment and keeping sovereignty

At least someone gets it.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

So are the going all in with Typhoons then FCAS? No F35Bs anymore?

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

dmereifield wrote:So are the going all in with Typhoons then FCAS? No F35Bs anymore?
In essence yes

Should they decide to replace the av8b then f35b would be considered but at present cant see them buying it.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I suppose the USMC might have a few spares available so they can keep their jets flying for a few years yet, and no forgetting the Italians. Then again how often do the Spanish aviation ships, (do they still have two in service?) actually put to sea at the moment?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

JC1 was very active last year and is more than likely in maintenance there is still talk of USMC F-35b under taking trials soon from JC1

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Tempest414 wrote:JC1 was very active last year and is more than likely in maintenance there is still talk of USMC F-35b under taking trials soon from JC1
As I understand it, she's outfitted better for fixed wing aviation than her Aussie half-sisters (bigger magazines, less focus on troop deployment) but I'm assuming the deck doesn't yet have the reinforced pads and heat resistant materials that the QEC and the Italian carriers have?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Jensy wrote:As I understand it, she's outfitted better for fixed wing aviation than her Aussie half-sisters (bigger magazines, less focus on troop deployment) but I'm assuming the deck doesn't yet have the reinforced pads and heat resistant materials that the QEC and the Italian carriers have?
This is only from a interview in Warship IR that said that the Spanish and USMC were looking to undertake F-35b trials late last year or early this year with covid eating up the first part of this year I would say they have had time to add what is need for the trials

xav

Post by xav »

Spanish MoD Seeking Second-Hand Ro-Ro Vessel For Logistics Transport Missions
The Spanish Ministry of Defense (MoD) started a procurement process for a second-hand logistics transport vessel. The new vessel would replace two recently decommissioned Ro-Ro (roll on roll off) vessels that were tasked with the transfer of materiel for the Spanish Army (Ejército de Tierra).
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... -missions/