Irish Defence Forces

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
marktigger
United Kingdom

Irish Defence Forces

Post by marktigger »

I think a thread for our closest neighbours

CONNAUGHT RANGER

Re: Irish Defence Forces

Post by CONNAUGHT RANGER »

For the Permanent and Reserve Defence Forces of Ireland info hopefully?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

very much so Connaught Ranger as i'll miss the photo thread and new thread from MP.net

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

now retired but one of the Best pieces of artillery ever devloped.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

The Deutches Afrika Korps referred to the 25pdr as the "Gypsy Gun"

Because it would turn up so unexpectedly.

Probably the best light artillery piece of WW2... The one in the image looks like a Mk V ?

Also a Leyland/DAF 4tonner in the image.
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

yeap the DAF is the tractor vehicle

Mk2 carriages

CONNAUGHT RANGER

39 Years ago today (4 May 1976) I started my military Recruit Training with the 36th Recruit Platoon, at Custume Barracks, Athlone, Co.Westmeath. Ireland.

CONNAUGHT RANGER

In south Lebanon the Irish U.N. contingent initially used their French made Panhard M3 A.P.C's,
with twin 7.62mm G.P.M.G.s in the turret, and the Panhard AML 90
both for patrol and in static locations where they were used as road blocks.
All above pics from my time with "C" Coy 46th IRISHBATT of U.N.I.F.I.L.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

CONNAUGHT RANGER

I stand open to be corrected but at the period of the 25 Pounder pictures above the weapon was in the hands of the Irish Reserve Defence Forces, If I remember correctly one of the reasons for its removal from use was sourcing rounds at an affordable price, India was mentioned as being the only country still making them.

Connaught Ranger.

IrishT
Bahamas

Post by IrishT »

Enough about past deployments, lets talk about future deployments.

Eithne has been chosen for the Irish contribution to Operation Triton.
The minister said the LÉ eithne would be deployed for two months and then it is expected to be replaced by another Irish ship. He said the Irish naval involvement would last until September as the summer months are the busiest in terms of migrants seeking asylum.
Ideas as to which ship will replace her? I don't think Beckett or Joyce have the same helicopter capabilities, do they?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Eithne has deck and hanger but shes not deck ops capable any more is she?
Wonder what her replacement will be like?

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

LÉ Eithne departs to help tackle migrant crisis in Mediterranean | RTE News

"This is the first time in the 59-year history of the Naval Service that an Irish Navy ship has been deployed in an overseas humanitarian search and rescue operation."

Quite significant...
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

marktigger wrote:Eithne has deck and hanger but shes not deck ops capable any more is she?
Wonder what her replacement will be like?
She had better have a flight deck and hangar, with more to replace older Irish naval vessels. Perhaps based on the Beckett hull?

If recently even'ts are anything to go by, the Irish are set to engage more overseas, so helicopter capabilities are going to be necessary.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

IrishT
Bahamas

Post by IrishT »

WhitestElephant wrote:She had better have a flight deck and hangar, with more to replace older Irish naval vessels. Perhaps based on the Beckett hull?

If recently even'ts are anything to go by, the Irish are set to engage more overseas, so helicopter capabilities are going to be necessary.
I hope the Defence Forces get more resources devoted to it. If we could replace the rest of our OPVs with additional Becketts with one or two upgraded to serve in such missions in the future, it would be nice. A few missile-guided frigates would be nice as well, so we could carry out supporting strikes against groups like Boko Haram or ISIS.

IrishT
Bahamas

Le Eithne

Post by IrishT »

Source

Eithne and her crew have saved a total of around 600 so far, I think.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

not bad for a single vessel of her size have seen the pictures comming out of the Irish Navy facebook feed.

Eithne is a handy sized little vessel and its interesting to see ho she has been copied by more modern designs, the Kiwis and spannish in particular. Its what the Royal Navy should be looking at. Pity she can't operate the AW139

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

I was just having a browse and noticed that the EOD guys use Segways. An interesting approach :)

http://www.military.ie/en/army/organisa ... /ordnance/

"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid"
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

IrishT
Bahamas

Post by IrishT »

arfah wrote:I was just having a browse and noticed that the EOD guys use Segways. An interesting approach :)

Did you only use that topic to... segue into a joke? ;)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

IrishT wrote:
arfah wrote:I was just having a browse and noticed that the EOD guys use Segways. An interesting approach :)

Did you only use that topic to... segue into a joke? ;)
:D I couldn't help myself.

Slainte !

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

irish navy punching well above their weight in the med again

IrishT
Bahamas

Post by IrishT »

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/ ... t#AAA00100

Minister Coveney and Deputy Ó Fearghaíl recently spoke in the Dáil about the White Paper on Defence, and for once it actually looked hopeful, considering the abysmal state of funding given to the DF.
The Navy should have two to three additional ships on the ocean. Ideally, two of these ships should be frigate-class ships that can have a helicopter on board and also accommodate approximately a platoon of 30 to 40 soldiers. At the end of 2012, the Naval Service numbered 1,058 in strength. We should look to expand it to 1,500 or 1,600 over the years to 2025. In tandem we would also look to develop the air capacity of the forces. The Air Corps rotary wing fleet could be expanded to include additional helicopters, especially over-ocean models with greater troop-carrying capacity, without requiring increases in the Air Corps establishment. Experiences in such overseas missions as the EUFOR mission to Chad and the Central African Republic, have demonstrated the need and requirement to have accessible and appropriate rotary wing capacity in difficult situations and terrains.

A 50% increase in the size of the Naval Service with the acquisition of possibly 3 frigates would definitely be a welcome increase. The thing I'd be worried about would be the Army's lack of heavy armour, and the Air Corps lack of fast jets. We're soon to be getting rid of the Scorpion and need a replacement for the MOWAG, so hopefully we see something with a bit more of a kick.

Also, the Government is keen to retain the triple lock, for some odd reason.

Sinn Fein, of course, bítches about the increase in spending (note: for anyone not familiar, our defence budget was halved during the 2008 Crisis to roughly 0.4% of GDP - Yeah, you Brits think falling below 2% is a bad thing, just wait until you have an Irishman running your institution, then you'll be well and fairly fecked).
in 2011 US$1.738 trillion was spent globally on military expenditure. To ensure that we live in a safer and more equal world greater military expenditure is definitely not the solution. Instead we need to challenge the very structures that cause poverty, food insecurity and conflict.
They similarly make a stupid comment regarding our neutrality (note: Sinn Fein voted against an EU motion to carry out military operations against the Islamic State). It seems they only care about positive neutrality when it's Irish lives, and only are about demilitarization (they regularly want us to cut our defence budget to facilitate increased welfare spending and call for the "EU to demilitarize" whilst making sure their guns are polished and on-hand for when they need to kill some Protestants in the North).
Positive neutrality is not about sitting on the fence. It is not about taking no action. It is not about pacifism. Sinn Féin is not a pacifist political party; I think that is pretty obvious. Consistent with the principles of international law, we believe that the use of force can sometimes be necessary as a last resort to prevent the deaths of others or the oppression of peoples. Sinn Féin makes no apologies for having recognised the right of the Irish people over the ages to use force against the British occupation of our country.

So, overall, a rather upbeat discussion regarding the future of the Defence Forces, but of course Sinn Fein comes through like a wrecking ball to ruin my day.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

We in Scotland know your pain, man. We know it well. Or at the very least, the feeling of that threat waiting to strike.

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Hopes final sea trials will see LÉ James Joyce delivered to navy
A €50m new ship undergoing final sea trials, the LÉ James Joyce, could be delivered to the Naval Service within days. Meanwhile, the Maltese flag is now flying on the former LÉ Aoife after it was given to the Mediterranean island by Minister for Defence Simon Coveney.

The LÉ James Joyce was supposed to be delivered several weeks ago to replace the 35-year-old LÉ Aoife.

However, initial sea trials uncovered a problem with the ship’s propeller system and Mr Coveney said he would not accept delivery of the vessel until the problem had been ironed out, saying he had a duty to protect the taxpayers’ investment.
Rest of article here: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ho ... 39998.html

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

It is a good looking ship, though we will get proper angle photos only when they are taken at sea.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)