Irish Defence Forces

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
xav

Re: Irish Defence Forces

Post by xav »

Irish industry...

Safehaven Marine Will Display its Barracuda Low RCS Interceptor at DSEI 2015
Irish company Safehave Marine will be present at DSEI 2015 and showcase its new Barracuda stealth interceptor. ‘Barracuda’ is a new high speed Interceptor / Patrol craft for military and law enforcement applications, designed and built by Safehaven Marine who also manufacture a range of highly successful pilot boats, patrol vessels, S.A.R. craft and research catamarans from their factory in Co Cork, Ireland. The company recently delivered four vessels to the Polish Navy.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=2971

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

did like the mention of the Irish defence forces on the one show

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Given the IDFs need for new Frigates (with space for troops) & a replacement for their Mowag Piranhas would it not make sense for them to join the UK Type 26 & Fres UV (or whatever it's called now) programs?

Or would that cause Issues in the Irish parliament particularly with Sinn Fein ??

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Dahedd wrote:Given the IDFs need for new Frigates (with space for troops) & a replacement for their Mowag Piranhas would it not make sense for them to join the UK Type 26 & Fres UV (or whatever it's called now) programs?

Or would that cause Issues in the Irish parliament particularly with Sinn Fein ??
I believe that the thinking is that the Irish Defence Force doesn't require war fighting ships because a number of larger powers are quite keen on its continuing existence.

muttbutt

Post by muttbutt »

Dahedd wrote:Given the IDFs need for new Frigates (with space for troops) & a replacement for their Mowag Piranhas would it not make sense for them to join the UK Type 26 & Fres UV (or whatever it's called now) programs?
The type 26 is too much for what we want/afford. Although the NS seem to be looking at a mine clearance role for the new ships.
We don't have much info on the situation with the Mowags, whether a top up buy or a complete replacement and with what.

We buy stuff from Israel, some people complain, nobody cares ;)

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Serious question. One wonders if the IDF would welcome an old sea dog like me as a consultant? I'd do it gratis. Just like to keep my hand in. I hold an Irish passport "by descent" and plan on relocating there just for a couple of years to visit old friends and relatives and to travel the EU a bit.I was in special boats for a while back in the 80s as the squadron engineer (CO was a SEAL) so I understand small unit ops and the ships and craft best suited for that employment. I might have an idea or three that would be useful. Or they could tell the Yank to stuff it. My feelings wouldn't be hurt either way.:)
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . ."

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

If the Type26 is too 'fighty' & they want space for troops & for mine disposal type operations then would one of the two USN LCS corvette style boats work? If they were to buy into a bigger organisations purchase it would keep the costs down & help with training.

Please note I'm a civvy so I'm probably talking out my backside.

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Dahedd wrote:If the Type26 is too 'fighty' & they want space for troops & for mine disposal type operations then would one of the two USN LCS corvette style boats work? If they were to buy into a bigger organisations purchase it would keep the costs down & help with training.

Please note I'm a civvy so I'm probably talking out my backside.
Although I've not yet gotten a check ride in either class of LCS, I've seen both up close and personal pierside in San Diego. I believe the Freedom class, even a slightly smaller version, would be perfect for the IDF purposes. I just have a sneaking suspicion that at the end of the day the trimaran hull of the Independence class will be more trouble than its worth.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

desertswo wrote:Serious question. One wonders if the IDF would welcome an old sea dog like me as a consultant? I'd do it gratis. Just like to keep my hand in. I hold an Irish passport "by descent" and plan on relocating there just for a couple of years to visit old friends and relatives and to travel the EU a bit.I was in special boats for a while back in the 80s as the squadron engineer (CO was a SEAL) so I understand small unit ops and the ships and craft best suited for that employment. I might have an idea or three that would be useful. Or they could tell the Yank to stuff it. My feelings wouldn't be hurt either way.:)
As you can probably guess by the fact of my response I don't know the answer to your question, but if your intention is to emigrate don't you have contacts within the USN who might facilitate an initial meeting to find out the lie of the land in this respect? My fundamental philosophy in this respect would be that if it's something you want to do there's nothing lost by trying.

desertswo

Post by desertswo »

Pseudo wrote:
desertswo wrote:Serious question. One wonders if the IDF would welcome an old sea dog like me as a consultant? I'd do it gratis. Just like to keep my hand in. I hold an Irish passport "by descent" and plan on relocating there just for a couple of years to visit old friends and relatives and to travel the EU a bit.I was in special boats for a while back in the 80s as the squadron engineer (CO was a SEAL) so I understand small unit ops and the ships and craft best suited for that employment. I might have an idea or three that would be useful. Or they could tell the Yank to stuff it. My feelings wouldn't be hurt either way.:)
As you can probably guess by the fact of my response I don't know the answer to your question, but if your intention is to emigrate don't you have contacts within the USN who might facilitate an initial meeting to find out the lie of the land in this respect? My fundamental philosophy in this respect would be that if it's something you want to do there's nothing lost by trying.
I did have those sort of contacts at one time but I've been retired going on 13 years so those have all moved up or out (mostly the latter). I know how to draft a letter of introduction. What's the worst that can happen; they say "no?" So I spend more time in the pubs in McCroom. Throw me in that briar patch! LOL! ;)

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

desertswo wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
I did have those sort of contacts at one time but I've been retired going on 13 years so those have all moved up or out (mostly the latter). I know how to draft a letter of introduction. What's the worst that can happen; they say "no?" So I spend more time in the pubs in McCroom. Throw me in that briar patch! LOL! ;)
What's the worst that can happen? It's not like you're going to get charged with treason for trying to sell your expertise to a foreign power. :shock: Plus Guinness. :lol:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ireland provides the IED contingent for the Nordic EU BG (when they are stood up, acc. to the rota). By any chance, benefitting from UK training?

What I did not know is that the structure works in "reverse" in the Lebanon,
where UNIFIL has the command rotating between the two nations of the Finnish-Irish Bn ( and the Finnish Inf. Coy contains a platoon from Estonia).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

muttbutt

Post by muttbutt »

RFP for 24 X "Armoured Utility Vehicles"

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publi ... lictenders

muttbutt

Post by muttbutt »

If you're still interested in this, you might want to contact the National maritime college of Ireland in Cork, it's a joint venture between Cork institute of technology and the Naval service. They do a lot of things that your experience and knowledge would be a bonus for. :mrgreen:

http://www.nmci.ie/

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

muttbutt wrote:....
Hi MuttButt,

Sadly, Desertswo is dearly departed. :(

Regards

muttbutt

Post by muttbutt »

arfah wrote:
muttbutt wrote:....
Hi MuttButt,

Sadly, Desertswo is dearly departed. :(

Regards
What?...shit I remember him from milphotos... :(

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

muttbutt wrote:What?...shit I remember him from milphotos... :(
Yeah, it was a bit of a shock. Deserts widow informed CockneyJock1974 who informed the rest of us via the QECACN&D Thread.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

280 jobs safe at Appledore after Irish Navy £48m Babcock deal

Shipbuilder Babcock has been awarded a contract extension, by Ireland's Department of Defence, to provide a new £48 million Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) for the Irish Navy.

It is the fourth ship deal in the same class, to be built at Babcock's Appledore shipbuilding facility. The deal also means 280 jobs will be safe at the North Devon yard.

Around 140 jobs appeared to be at risk last week after the shipyard's operator Babcock confirmed there could be a two year gap in work.

More: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/280-job ... z4BloRNdTO

Galloglass
Ireland

Post by Galloglass »

Just came across this very short film about my favourite Irish fighting men......Hope you all enjoy.

muttbutt

Post by muttbutt »

Safehaven Marine in Cork have just launched their newest boat, the XSV-17 naval special operations boat. top speed 60Kts, cruises at 45..They are going to attempt a Round Ireland...and Rockall :mrgreen: record run later this year.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Would have expected an aux waterjet (with batteries) for silent running?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

muttbutt

Post by muttbutt »

GDELs has won a contract to upgrade our Mowag APCs, valued at 60 million Euro.

Just waiting for the press to say something.

Galloglass
Ireland

Post by Galloglass »

This is a first for the IDF......http://www.anewdawn.ie/