AW101 Merlin Helicopter (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Merlin helicopters

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Merlins and other FAA helicopters at Yeovilton Air Day 2015:

Credit to Chen Peng:
https://twitter.com/ChenPengPhotos

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

a nice shot, seeing that many make it look like a photoshop
@LandSharkUK

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Need to get busy with the paint brush. 'nuff of the RAF already.

xav

Post by xav »

Can on of you please confirm that a
Merlin HC3 = Mk3
Merlin HC4 = fututre Mk3
And H.C4 = Sea King

And that I didn't make any major mistake in this piece:
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=2908

And I hope the pictures are ok to illustrate the whole thing...

This is all so confusing... the Royal Navy always use the "Mk" designation in their press releases so it is hard to keep track when AgustaWestland talk about HC3/3A etc...

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

xav wrote:Can on of you please confirm that a
Merlin HC3 = Mk3
Merlin HC4 = fututre Mk3
And H.C4 = Sea King

And that I didn't make any major mistake in this piece:
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=2908

And I hope the pictures are ok to illustrate the whole thing...

This is all so confusing... the Royal Navy always use the "Mk" designation in their press releases so it is hard to keep track when AgustaWestland talk about HC3/3A etc...

The designations are correct, Xav. I'll just add that to further the confusion, there are the 6 HC3A, future HC4A, which are the ex-Denmark Merlins picked up as urgent purchase a few years back.

However, Jane's report on this says that only the first of 7 Interim Merlins has been completed and delivered. The other 6 will be delivered for service by april next year. Unfortunately, not all 7 have been navalised yet... that'll take a while.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

xav

Post by xav »

Thanks man!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Has the low number of Interim Merlins anything to do with the short remaining service life of the HMS Ocean? I.e. putting on her anything that the mission requires (RM, AHs...) until the first carrier becomes available
- there will still be a gap as the sea trials could be a long-drawn out affair
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Looks like the RN's new green Merlins have been provided with an EO turret, something that is conspicuously lacking from the HM2. No idea what it is though.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

RichardIC wrote:Image

Looks like the RN's new green Merlins have been provided with an EO turret, something that is conspicuously lacking from the HM2. No idea what it is though.
They already had the FLIR turret, it is not a new addition.
The anomaly is the HM2 continuing not to have an EO/IR sensor as standard fit.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

The Air Platform Systems (APS) Platform Protection team, part of the UK Ministry of Defence (‘MOD’), intends to amend an existing contract with Petards Joyce-Loebl Limited for the procurement and through life support of an additional 12 M147/ALE47 Countermeasure Dispensing Systems (CMDS) which will be fitted to 12 additional Merlin aircraft which are to be added to the existing Merlin fleet.
Well, now that is interesting. How should we read it, and is it still going ahead? It comes from a contract notice published on December 5, 2014.

There are always those 8 + 4 HM1 airframes sitting somewhere in a hangar...

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Gabriele wrote:
Well, now that is interesting. How should we read it, and is it still going ahead? It comes from a contract notice published on December 5, 2014.

There are always those 8 + 4 HM1 airframes sitting somewhere in a hangar...
That is very interesting. It does read as if those 12 aren't the in service aircraft. I wonder if at a values of £1.1million they thought its worth it just in case they ever get revived. It would be great if they are!
@LandSharkUK

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Digging further, with the help of Ian Keddie, it looks like the MOD contract notice's language is completely and utterly misleading and the purchase is most likely actually part of the build up to a later deal in February this year for adding DAS to a greater part of the Merlin HM2 fleet.

The Merlin HM1 / HM2 is born without a DAS. A very small number of DAS kits, possibly 4, was added as UOR when the Merlin HM1 was sent to operate in maritime security role in the Gulf, where a MANPADS / SAM threat does exist. The kits are rolled on onto the HM2, which is ready to use them. And these might be just 12 additional DAS sets for the existing HM2 fleet, despite the wording in the MOD notice.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

what is the status of the HC fleet with regards DAS?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

marktigger wrote:what is the status of the HC fleet with regards DAS?
I think each one is fitted. They employ the ALE47 Countermeasure Dispensing Systems (CMDS), but in a proper integrated fashion, instead of the UOR "block" combining ALE47 and sensors that you see on the fuselage of the HM1 and HM2 when it is fitted.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The Royal Navy’s AgustaWestland Merlin HM2 helicopter fleet has achieved full operational capability, with 80% of its eventual 30 modified aircraft having been returned to use.

https://flightglobal.com/news/articles/ ... oy-416749/

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

From the same link:
Lockheed says a separate programme to equip the Merlin HM2 platform with updated defensive aids system equipment, ballistic protection and an electro-optical/infrared sensor will be completed next month[Oct]
- I wonder if Gaby was referring to this kit, or the previous?.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:From the same link:
Lockheed says a separate programme to equip the Merlin HM2 platform with updated defensive aids system equipment, ballistic protection and an electro-optical/infrared sensor will be completed next month[Oct]
- I wonder if Gaby was referring to this kit, or the previous?.

I guess that must be it. The last Merlin HM1 to go out are those employed on Maritime Security duties in the Gulf. A very limited number of machines which were fitted with a DAS "box" on the side of the fuselage, fast rope kit and EO/IR turret.
Now a larger number of Merlin HM2 will be fitted with DAS (and EO/IR ?).

All Merlin HM2 should be fitted for but not with DAS and EO/IR. A number will also be fitted.

I continue to find depressing like hell that Merlin does not have its own integrated EO/IR turret, by the way.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

xav

Post by xav »

24 of 30 Royal Navy Merlin Mk2 Helicopters Have Reached Full Operational Capability
The first 24 Royal Navy Merlin Mk2 helicopters have achieved full operational capability. 6 Merlin Mk1 are still to be delivered as part of the 25-year Merlin Capability Sustainment Programme (MCSP), awarded in January 2006 to Lockheed Martin UK.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3129

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

It looks like a Merlin and flies like a Merlin.....it's the first of seven next generation Merlin helicopters! The interim Merlin Mk3 (iMk3), has been delivered to 846 NAS marking yet another key milestone for CHF.

Bringing CHF one step closer to achieving full amphibious capability, the iMk3 has undergone a series of marinisation modifications to enable operation from RN and RFA ships, these include; folding main rotor head, strengthened undercarriage and communications upgrades and provide an interim maritime capable Merlin prior to the full upgrade to Merlin Mk4.

The Merlin Mk4 will have an upgraded avionics suite as well as provide a full amphibious capability with an automatic folding main rotor head and tail fold, optimised for ship operations.

Ianmb17
United Kingdom

Post by Ianmb17 »

Did the remaining HM1s upgrade get mentioned in SDSR

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Ianmb17 wrote:Did the remaining HM1s upgrade get mentioned in SDSR
No details at all. No numbers were given.

But at least it says there will be 4 frontline Merlin HM2 squadrons, which means the running on of 849 NAS with the AEW mission is confirmed. If it was possible not to depend from just 30 machines for all roles, that really would be sweet... but it seems unlikely we'll see extra Wizards.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I'd speculate (with zero factual backing) that when the UK announce that the next gen Apache will be ordered directly from the US, that AW will be given a small Merlin order as a bribe to keep their mouths shut. And to keep their local MP's happy. "to ensure the carriers have a full complement of helo's".

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Ron5 wrote:I'd speculate (with zero factual backing) that when the UK announce that the next gen Apache will be ordered directly from the US, that AW will be given a small Merlin order as a bribe to keep their mouths shut. And to keep their local MP's happy. "to ensure the carriers have a full complement of helo's".
:idea:

Fingers crossed! the dollar they save on US apache's should pay for a few merlin airframes or even refurb the ones in storage for the Searchwater equipment.