Civil Aviation

For everything that doesn't fit elsewhere; literature, movies, video games - whatever you desire.
SKB
England

Civil Aviation

Post by SKB »

Airports Commission releases final report on plans for Heathrow Third Runway:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/airp ... nal-report

BBC News report:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33340565

seaspear
Australia

Re: Airports Commission Recommends Third Heathrow Runway

Post by seaspear »

Was that idea of building a new airport on reclaimed land in the Thames or estuary impractical

arfah
Niue

Re: Civil Aviation

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Airbus have filed a patent for stacking passenger seats inside airliners to make more efficient use of the space!

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Would like to see the fire evac on that airbus idea, literally people climbing over one-another :roll:

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

seaspear wrote:Was that idea of building a new airport on reclaimed land in the Thames or estuary impractical
I liked that idea, it was the only solution to the problem, expanding Heathrow is a bodge in comparison and Gatwick is a waste of time.
I think Heathrow is a bodge because as soon as the 3rd runway is open it will fill with long haul and we still need another on for short haul flights.
@LandSharkUK

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

shark bait wrote:
seaspear wrote:Was that idea of building a new airport on reclaimed land in the Thames or estuary impractical
I liked that idea, it was the only solution to the problem, expanding Heathrow is a bodge in comparison and Gatwick is a waste of time.
I think Heathrow is a bodge because as soon as the 3rd runway is open it will fill with long haul and we still need another on for short haul flights.
As I recall the estuary airport was likely to be the best long term solution because it could potentially create more than twice the capacity than Heathrow currently has, but was't the big problem with the estuary airport that it'd be incredibly expensive itself and also require a vast investment in local infrastructure?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Pseudo wrote: As I recall the estuary airport was likely to be the best long term solution because it could potentially create at least as much capacity as Heathrow currently has, but was't the big problem with the estuary airport that it'd be incredibly expensive itself and also require a vast investment in local infrastructure?
It could easily create the capacity of Heathrow, plus operate all hours, further away from people, with easy expansion options. However the cost is certainly prohibitive.

I never really bought the infrastructure excuse. Its the south east of England, you cant possibly be far from infrastructure. It would be 10 miles away from a motor way, 10 miles away from our only high speed rail and other links. No doubt its big infrastructure investment but so is the Heathrow option, re-routing and expanding the M25, building cross rail & HS2. Whatever happens there needs to be serious infrastructure investment.

Cost is the biggy, you would have to buy out Heathrow, and then move it, not as simple when its privately owned.
@LandSharkUK

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Im not an expert on macro economics but surely the long term returns from having a large man made island that is not constricted in operations due to noise would allow operations 24/7 , certainly extending connections of road and rail is never cheap ,but having underground rail going from one side of the estuary to the other as well as to an airport would be of use it would also allow the airport to increase its size to accomodate increased passenger demand by perhaps increasing the size of the island in future ,not to forget allowing the present airport to be perhaps rezoned for housing , all this requiring more employment in construction .

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

arfah wrote:London does not need a new airport.

The Thames proposal was for a "hub" airport. i.e. 90% of passengers would not leave the airport grounds as they would exit one flight and depart on another.

Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, London City, Southend, Farnborough, Biggin Hill, Northolt have a combined total of 10 Runways serving London.

The U.K. needs a new hub airport but it would better serve the nation if it was constructed in an area with excellent transport links to all points of the compass in a socially deprived area.
This is probably a stupid idea, but what about redeveloping Mildenhall or Alconbury once the USAF leave? The east coast main line runs right along the boundary of RAF Alconbury, so there's your transport links. :o :)

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

arfah wrote:
shark bait wrote:
Pseudo wrote: As I recall the estuary airport was likely to be... further away from people.
South Essex and North Kent is not devoid of population.
Good job I didn't say what you have altered my quote to say then, isn't it? ;)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

arfah wrote:London does not need a new airport.

The U.K. needs a new hub airport
Totally true, I think just happens the best place for it is London, then connected to the rest by high speed rail. Not connecting HS2 onto Heathrow is yet another instance of it failing to reach its potential
@LandSharkUK

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

arfah wrote:
Pseudo wrote: Good job I didn't say what you have altered my quote to say then, isn't it? ;)
I didn't require your whole text, I trimmed it to the section I did require and added the word "be" for grammar.

You did make an incorrect assumption, though. Hope you don't mind ;)
It's not the adding of the word "be" that I was bothered about, it was more adding the "further away from people" bit that I didn't say either that I minded. ;)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

arfah wrote:My personal preference would be to build a hub airport in "Doggerland" in the North Sea. No population at all, shallow water and could help revitalise Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincolnshire.
Are you missing some sarcasm tags there?
@LandSharkUK

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

arfah wrote:The U.K. Has a historical claim on Doggerland.

It's an idea that seems to be working for China in the South China Sea.
Instead we're colonising it with wind turbines rather than air bases. Hippys don't seem to get as pissed that way!
@LandSharkUK

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

Everything that arfah said :)

Including the part about Doggerland, it could help to provide a boost to our flagging maritime sector to service it, and it would be iconic and therefore increase Britain's soft power.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:shock:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Airlander 10 Filled With Helium And Floating Again.

The British-built 'Airlander 10' hybrid air vehicle has successfully been reassembled and reinflated at its home base in Cardington, Bedfordshire.

The Airlander 10 was originally built for the US Army by 'Hybrid Air Vehicles' (HAV), but the project was cancelled only a few months later after US defence spending cuts. HAV then brought back their Airlander (assisted by crowd funding) to the UK to continue its private development.

Airlander 10 measures 92 metres long and is currently the world's largest aircraft. Flight testing the reassembled vehicle will recommence in 2016.

Hybrid Air Vehicles official site: http://www.hybridairvehicles.com/

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

btw "filled with helium" is maybe a little misleading as I think they use around about a 1% helium-to-air mix ;)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Jeremy Clarkson advertising Amazon home delivery drone proving again he can be bought and forced to use the American phrases "soccer shoes", "yell" and "airplane" through yellowed gritted teeth...